• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU vent extension

Started by avidmotion, July 02, 2018, 11:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avidmotion

I was changing my PTU fluid and read about others adding a hose to the vent tube and extending it up to near the brake booster, so they could use the drain plug on 2013+ and refill using the hose. I liked the idea, I could not reach the vent hose clamp so I took it to a place who extended the hose for me and changed the PTU lube with Amsoil severe duty 75-140 diff fluid. It used about half the bottle.Here are points to consider.
With the car running you can hear alot of noise coming from the tube, even with the vent cap on.
There is a smell associated with the vent, venting diff lube smell, more noticeable when running and hot.
I took off my rear hood seal, bad move if you do this extension, the smell gets sucked into the cowl when heat or AC is on.
Makes it a 20 min job to empty and refill the PTU.
Cheap and easy to do.
May bend hose further behind firewall until needed to refill(making sure hose not get bent or crimped when heat hits hose, secure it properly).
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

SM105K

I did the same thing.  I used Mobil 1 for my fluid change.  However, I didn't keep the extension hose on. I put the short hose with the vent back on.  I have strong enough hands to squeeze the spring clamp. No issues so far, and the drive train seems to be alot smoother. 

Also, using a lift is very helpful during the process. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

shoNoff

What did you use for a hose? Im going to have one of my local shops do this next week. Im at almost 55k and its never been changed that I know of being 2nd owner.  :razz:
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

SM105K

Quote from: shoNoff on July 03, 2018, 10:20:53 AM
What did you use for a hose? Im going to have one of my local shops do this next week. Im at almost 55k and its never been changed that I know of being 2nd owner.  :razz:

I literally followed this. I used 1/4 ID fuel line. It was pretty easy.  Hardest part was getting the vent hose off. I am the second owner of my 13 PP with 56K miles as well.  I pulled about 9 ounces or fluid out of it, and it wasnt too bad. I replaced it with 16 ounces and feel a difference.  I would recommend wrapping the downtubes with header wrap/heat wrap because they will already be there.  I have heard the heat from the DP's is what helps kill the fluild.  Cheap insurance if you ask me.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=8081.0
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

shoNoff

2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

wraitherx

OP: glad the how to helped you out!  I wonder if you're hearing more noise because of the same reason you're getting smell into your cabin cause I have not experienced that. What was the reason for you pulling that cowl seal off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

avidmotion

Anger, was cleaning up motor while wiping with rag i pulled some of the tabs off and then could not get the rubber back on in a micro fit of Anger I grabbed it and ripped it right off....I guess there is more hot air flowing out(making AC work harder?) but the flow of air gets sucked into the cowl hence the smell. I pushed the tube further down behind the firewall and no more sound or smell...
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.