• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

stock tune, colder plugs.

Started by lamrith, June 27, 2018, 12:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

Not sure why I am thinking about this, probably need my head examined..

I am considering returning my car to mostly stock.  I love it tuned, and when I got the car it was my only vehicle I was able to treat as a "hotrod" as it were and modify so I went for it.  It makes for a fun daily driver, but I have another car I am modding out to the max and debating  dialing it back on the SHO a good bit to return it to pretty much stock.  1st test will be tune and seeing if I can live with stock tune.

So, can I run a stock tune with one step colder plugs?  I went colder per recommendation from Torrie and Brad with thier tunes, but will that be ok on a stock tune?  I know plugs are not too expensive, but they can be a pita to change and do not want to go thru the time and $ to find out I "need" the tune to be happy as a dd.  :-p

I am hoping I can put the 2bar MAP back on, flash back to stock and run it for a week or two without changing plugs.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: lamrith on June 27, 2018, 12:52:44 PM
Not sure why I am thinking about this, probably need my head examined..

I am considering returning my car to mostly stock.  I love it tuned, and when I got the car it was my only vehicle I was able to treat as a "hotrod" as it were and modify so I went for it.  It makes for a fun daily driver, but I have another car I am modding out to the max and debating  dialing it back on the SHO a good bit to return it to pretty much stock.  1st test will be tune and seeing if I can live with stock tune.

So, can I run a stock tune with one step colder plugs?  I went colder per recommendation from Torrie and Brad with thier tunes, but will that be ok on a stock tune?  I know plugs are not too expensive, but they can be a pita to change and do not want to go thru the time and $ to find out I "need" the tune to be happy as a dd.  :-p

I am hoping I can put the 2bar MAP back on, flash back to stock and run it for a week or two without changing plugs.

Are you running the SP-534's? If so then you are fine... Ford started putting those in as the stock plug set on the 2013+ iirc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZSHO

If you running the LTR7IX-11-(6510) one step colder plugs would change them for a peace of mind to the Stock MC-SP-534 which can be had for fairly cheap!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lamrith

Quote from: ZSHO on June 27, 2018, 01:37:53 PM
If you running the LTR7IX-11 -(6510) one step colder plugs would change them for a peace of mind to the Stock MC-SP-534 which can be had for fairly cheap!  Z
pretty sure that is what I am using is those LTR7, that number definitely seems familiar as one I looked for and not the 534's.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

ZSHO

Quote from: lamrith on June 27, 2018, 01:39:57 PM
If you running the LTR7IX-11 -(6510) one step colder plugs would change them for a peace of mind to the Stock MC-SP-534 which can be had for fairly cheap!  Z
pretty sure that is what I am using is those LTR7, that number definitely seems familiar as one I looked for and not the 534's.
What was the cost of the colder plugs! They are usually a bit more expensive the SP-534'S!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lamrith

Quote from: ZSHO on June 27, 2018, 02:00:47 PM
What was the cost of the colder plugs! They are usually a bit more expensive the SP-534'S!  Z
They were like $8-9/ea.  I bought some from Amazon and some from Torrie.

I was just hoping to be able to do a quick MAP sensor removal and reflash to test for a few days/week and not have to dive in pulling plugs.  It was a real battle getting the plugs out when I went to the NKG's a year ago.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: lamrith on June 27, 2018, 02:13:55 PM

I was just hoping to be able to do a quick MAP sensor removal and reflash to test for a few days/week and not have to dive in pulling plugs.  It was a real battle getting the plugs out when I went to the NKG's a year ago.

Did you throw a little anti-seize on the plug threads and a drop of dielectric grease on the boots? If so, it should be a lot easier...

lamrith

Quote from: StealBlueSho on June 27, 2018, 02:15:26 PM
Quote from: lamrith on June 27, 2018, 02:13:55 PM

Did you throw a little anti-seize on the plug threads and a drop of dielectric grease on the boots? If so, it should be a lot easier...

I know I did the Dielectric grease, probably even went a bit heavy on it.  That was the nasty part too, getting the boots off. 
I will admit I am being cheap and not wanting to spend $46+ on plugs to find out after 4 days I cannot tolerate stock tune and go right back to Brad sauce tune.  Now if the stock tune is something I can live with, then I would swap plugs, just hoping to test for a week or two without the expense.

StealBlueSho

They are not gonna hurt anything for a few days. Just pay attention if the car hesitates or feels off....

One step colder is not gonna damage your motor.

SHOdded

Doesn't hurt to start off with new plugs.  New phase, new plugs :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Quote from: SHOdded on June 27, 2018, 03:18:26 PM
Doesn't hurt to start off with new plugs.  New phase, new plugs :)
I totally agree.  IF I am able to live with stock tune I will definitely be changing out the plugs.  I do not plan to keep running it with colder plugs with a stock tune.  I just wanted to get an idea if there would be an issue doing so for 1-2 weeks of testing.  If I go to stock tune I will return the rest of the car to stock as well aside from the wheels and grill I changed.  Those are staying as I love the way it looks.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

The car is well balanced stock. I enjoyed it stock for a couple weeks lol... but since I have a devil on my shoulder and the angel fell off years ago... a tune was a must.

lamrith

Quote from: StealBlueSho on June 27, 2018, 05:29:35 PM
The car is well balanced stock. I enjoyed it stock for a couple weeks lol... but since I have a devil on my shoulder and the angel fell off years ago... a tune was a must.

You lasted longer than I did.  I picked it up in the evening, drove home, drove to work next day then to airport 1st thing following morning.   I bought a tuner while on vacation after owning the car and driving it 2days.  Crossing my fingers stock will be acceptable.  Then I can pull the tuning related mods, sell them and put $ into the canyon carver project.  I am gonna need every $ I can get for it!

lamrith

One day under stock tune. 

In drive the car feels about the same, not noticeable difference in terms of power or throttle response.  I however did notice that I have all sorts of KR, even cruising part throttle it is moving around quite a bit.  I will be honest it was a bit surprising and unsettling, Brads tune has 0 kr at any time.  I seem to recall that Brad noticed a bit of KR when we 1st started tuning and we switched to per cylinder KR during tuning to iron it out, so I guess it would make sense that I see KR now being stock tune.  I attach a small log of just cruising, on sidestreets with the stock tune.

In sport I could tell a difference.  Bit of turbo lag before power really hit and it was not as "up on it's toes" in terms of throttle response.  Brads tune the car literally steps up, and gets almost twitchy in terms of throttle response.  It is very ready to go and pull power is right there instantly.

Long road test today, see how it does cruising on freeway for looong stretch and mpg.  350mi round trip.