• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Backup Camera Going Out

Started by blaine109, September 06, 2016, 08:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blaine109

Has anyone had their backup camera go out on them yet?  Mine has started to over the past week.  The display image is dark and fuzzy/blurry.  Can't make anything out on the monitor.

Does anyone know if it would be the actual camera itself that goes bad or is there some other module that would have to be replaced?
2010 Ford Taurus SHO / Discovered knock sensor wire chaffing issue (you're welcome) / EBC GD Brakes w/ Red Stuff / Livernois Tune

SHOdded

Usually it will be corroded wiring at the camera, a recalibration may be needed, and/or a new camera altogether.  In a couple of instances, on the Edge forum, people have opened up the camera to clean it up from the inside.  Works, but dont know longevity of this fix yet.

May be able to recalibrate using Forscan for Windows, if it supports that function for the 2010 Taurus.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

hawkeye93

2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

SHOdded

Will post a link soon to the post.
http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/20284-2012-ford-edge-backup-camera-blurry-pic-on-touchscreen/#entry155868
QuoteI was able to clean the camera on my 2012 Edge. I removed the camera and sliced the box open with a hacksaw blade. I then removed the circuit board and cleaned the screen under that component. I glued the box back together with silicone. I also took the lenses out and cleaned all(5) of them. It has a very good picture now. I could have paid the $115 on ebay, but I was lucky (and happy) to find the problem.
Another post on it:
QuoteMuch better!    Thanks Russell!!

I took the camera apart as suggested by Russell and cleaned the inside lens and screen.  I didn't take all the lenses out because they looked to be sealed well.  I pried the camera apart with a screwdriver instead of cutting it open.  I think it wasn't sealed well and that's where moisture got in with a film on the inside lens. 

The little screw holding the camera clip in place was a buger to get out. I think a 7/64 allen wrench could be used to unscrew it from behind.  I didn't have a dremel to slot it so I ended up drilling  the plastic around the screw a bit til it was able to pop out.  I then put it back together with a nut and bolt and lock washer.  Probably easiest in the long run anyhow.   
http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/20284-2012-ford-edge-backup-camera-blurry-pic-on-touchscreen/
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I had mine replaced under warranty last year due to the fact that the front screen was cloudy and blurry and found installing a new back up camera ideal.....you will need the dealer re-calibrate the camera with IDS software as SHOdded mentioned above and would also take extra precaution cleaning the fragile glass lens with mild cleaning agents only,pics below of before and after and took roughly half/hour.  Z 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

r1crusher

Mine is currently very hazy looking compared to our F150's.  The cameras are actually not that expensive.  I have a list of stuff to get done under warranty including this and I expect them to just replace it.
'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

blaine109

I think mine might be a problem with the corroded wires.  Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's not.  When it's working it's clear as day but when it's not it's all out of wack.  Even the distance lines are garbled.  I'll take a picture next time it is acting up.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO / Discovered knock sensor wire chaffing issue (you're welcome) / EBC GD Brakes w/ Red Stuff / Livernois Tune

10bird

Is there a write up on how to replace the rear camera?