• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Newbie tune question

Started by sub_ETCS_ret, June 20, 2018, 05:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sub_ETCS_ret

I recently received an unleashed tune. Since receiving the tune I have noticed a bit of an exhaust smell. Is it because the car is running rich? I didn't notice it before the tune but that's not to say it didn't exist.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

15 SHO NonPP. 3bar map, OEM plugs gapped 0.030, AJPTurbo tuned.

ZSHO

This is for your 15-SHO Correct! Tune only! Nothing else changed recently!
I highly doubt its related to your newly installed tune IMO! Recalls up to date!
Due update your signature with your current vehicle & any mods you may have so we can assist you better,Thanks.  Z

Here is a complete list of TSB'S pertaining to the 13+SHO! 

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: ZSHO on June 20, 2018, 05:37:42 PM
This is for your 15-SHO Correct! Tune only! Nothing else changed recently!
I highly doubt its related to your newly installed tune IMO!  Recalls up to date!
Due update your signature so we can assist you better! Thanks.  Z

Here is a complete list of TSB'S pertaining to the 13+SHO! 

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.0.html
It is for the 15 SHO. 3 bar map and OEM plugs gapped to 0.030 and recently had the fuel pump relay recall completed.

If it's not the tune then I'm looking for an exhaust leak.

ZSHO

How many miles on your SHO! I would check for an exhaust leak preferably on a cold morning startup for any H20 on the floor. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: ZSHO on June 20, 2018, 06:03:56 PM
How many miles on your SHO! I would check for an exhaust leak preferably on a cold morning startup for any H20 on the floor. Z
33k. It seems to happen when I let off the gas or when I get on it a bit and let off the gas.

SHOdded

Definitely inspect the exhaust system (OEM?) closely.  Flex pipe may be cracked, bolts may be loose, etc.  It may also be indicative of incomplete combustion, might be worth installing a new set of plugs if the OEM plugs came with the car.  No codes in the PCM, right?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: SHOdded on June 20, 2018, 06:29:16 PM
Definitely inspect the exhaust system (OEM?) closely.  Flex pipe may be cracked, bolts may be loose, etc.  It may also be indicative of incomplete combustion, might be worth installing a new set of plugs if the OEM plugs came with the car.  No codes in the PCM, right?
I replaced the plugs with the OEM 534 gapped per Torrie's recommendation. OEM exhaust and no error codes.

sub_ETCS_ret

I'm not finding anything. The only thing I've found that I have a question about is the valve on the charge pipe to the rear turbo. Does it always make an air sound? Don't want to say hissing but could be.

Maybe I'm being over sensitive. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Does a tune take time to settle in?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ZSHO

Quote from: sub_ETCS_ret on June 20, 2018, 08:54:15 PM
I'm not finding anything. The only thing I've found that I have a question about is the valve on the charge pipe to the rear turbo. Does it always make an air sound? Don't want to say hissing but could be.

It takes roughly 50 miles for the tune to settle in similar to OBD Readiness monitors IIRC!   Z

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: ZSHO on June 20, 2018, 09:21:01 PM
Quote from: sub_ETCS_ret on June 20, 2018, 08:54:15 PM

It takes roughly 50 miles for the tune to settle in similar to OBD Readiness monitors IIRC!   Z
I got at leat 50. I know there is an exhaust smell. Just wish I could tell where it's coming from. I've tried revving it in the garage and I am only getting the smell from the tailpipe. I've had a car with an exhaust leak from the manifold and that is a constant smell. This comes and goes which is why I was wondering if it was tune related.

I can't imagine that exhaust from the tailpipe is occasionally being blow back into the car.

I guess I can switch the tune back and see what happens or just live with it.

SHOdded

Def, compare with stock tune and similar conditions.  Are you datalogging?  You can send logs to Torrie for analysis, see if he sees anything going on.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: SHOdded on June 21, 2018, 12:52:28 AM
Def, compare with stock tune and similar conditions.  Are you datalogging?  You can send logs to Torrie for analysis, see if he sees anything going on.
I got the datalog config file from Torrie the other day. I'm going to try to get some data this weekend. Never done it before so I been doing a bit of research. I guess I need to WOT to redline? We have a couple of pieces of highway where I think I can do it.

sub_ETCS_ret

What gear/s do we datalog in?

ZSHO

It varies by Tuner AFAIK!
I think its WOT pull from 1st through 3rd and also a 3rd gear sweep in manual mode from 2000-5900rpm.

I would confirm with your Tuner prior!  Z

FiveLeeter918

Definitely need to datalog. Guys on the facebook groups have been complaining that Torries tunes have been crazy rich while also getting crazy knock resulting in only 7° of spark advance.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!