• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

The good old P0016 code

Started by 2013blksho, June 20, 2018, 08:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2013blksho

SOOO... I have the P0016 code coming up and have read about everything with the timing issues on these beasts. My question is if anyone has replaced the cam position sensors to see if it is a pick up issue causing the code.  I have a buddy at a ford garage and he said that most likely not going to be the case up they have only had 1 timing issue on a car but quite a few f150s. sucks that i have no warranty on this baby and looking at 2500 to 3000 in repair cost.  have 160k on the beast and just hate putting that kind of money into it when the rest of the motor and turbos will remain old.  so that brings up a second question about a long block and what the price tag for one of those are. anyone have an idea on the cost of those?   thanks for help in advance!

irondoor19

Quote from: 2013blksho on June 20, 2018, 08:49:23 AM
SOOO... I have the P0016 code coming up and have read about everything with the timing issues on these beasts. My question is if anyone has replaced the cam position sensors to see if it is a pick up issue causing the code.  I have a buddy at a ford garage and he said that most likely not going to be the case up they have only had 1 timing issue on a car but quite a few f150s. sucks that i have no warranty on this baby and looking at 2500 to 3000 in repair cost.  have 160k on the beast and just hate putting that kind of money into it when the rest of the motor and turbos will remain old.  so that brings up a second question about a long block and what the price tag for one of those are. anyone have an idea on the cost of those?   thanks for help in advance!

As i have Been Done this Road Before:
5100.00 with 1000.00 Core SO 4100.00 Plus Extra Parts May of 2017 :(
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

Hotrod Lincoln

Mine is getting a long block installed to the tune of $9k. Stuck injector.
2011 MKS 81K Miles

2013blksho

dang!! 9k... i would call livernois and see what they can do a long block for.  i see they have improved guides for the timing.  do they have other improved timing parts?
  they only thing weird with my p0016 is that the check engine light will be speratic.  it will be on for a while and then will just turn off.  i was reading on other vehicals with similar VCT systems and they state that there are some testing that needs to be done before they say that the timing needs to be changed. i know that the stretch is an issue but my car doesnt make any noise and still pulls hard(which I know I'm playing with fire there) only live once so when someone pulls next to you have to SHO them a little turbo...lol.   does anyone know about the oil control valve or is this called the solenoid valve in ford language.  some other manufacters have issues with screens and plugging up. that can cause every symptom of p0016 but not  accutaly be the timing chain.  i know I'm looking for a way around this massive bill but can you blame me. 

SHOdded

Since I don't have an EB vehicle, I don't know whether the VCTADVERR PID is available to you or not.  That will help point the way towards solenoids or chains.  Disconnecting the solenoids will fix the timing and if the errors continue to show up, then most likely it is chains/phasers.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

2013blksho

Thanks I will have to read into this.  It makes complete sense.  thanks again.

2013blksho

soooo... I replaced both of the cam position sensors and now the check engine light doesnt come on anymore.  has anyone had this experience with the p0016 code? 

autobahn terror

Nice, did you use "Camshaft Position Sensor Part Number: BL3Z-6B288-C" for $8.11 a piece? If so thats a pretty good inexpensive fix to a potentially huge problem...
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

SHOdded

Quote from: 2013blksho on July 12, 2018, 08:45:02 PM
soooo... I replaced both of the cam position sensors and now the check engine light doesnt come on anymore.  has anyone had this experience with the p0016 code? 
Yes but only on a naturally aspirated 3.5 engine, and 1 instance so far.

autobahn that part # is correct for 2013+.  2010-12 are not so lucky.

10   AT4Z-6B288-A   Camshaft Position Sensor
3.5 LITER W/ TURBO
$104.58   $66.15   
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

autobahn terror

Ouch, big mark up for the older models...
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

SHOdded

yup they have been doing that for at least the last few years now.

2013blksho

ya each were 7 something. I also bought the crank position sensor but haven't changed it yet.  one thought i had is if the cam and crank sensors start going bad before any CEL could it be causing the VCT system work harder causing wear on components??? who knows???...

SHOdded

Certainly could but miniscule in the greater scheme of things.  AFAIK nobody has published data on how these sensors age.  Is it gradual is it sudden etc.

RandR10

I was able to get a low mile complete engine out of a wrecked 2015 Interceptor Utility last year for $2400 on eBay.  Bit of a gamble buying an eBay motor but mine's been running great for 12k miles now and the seller had a good reputation.  Only thing wrong with it was a cracked rear turbo housing from the accident, but the turbos and exhaust manifolds weren't even promised, so no biggie.  Point being, there are some good deals on junk yard motors.
2011 Ford Flex Limited Ecoboost

Sabtaj1

Sorry to re kindle.    But I'm having same issue.  P0016 code.  Engine maybe 62k miles.  Absolutely no rattle or any issues on start up or driving.   Check engine light would come on and turn back off at times.  It was Bank 1 code.  So I changed the bank 1 VTAC solenoid and cleared the code.  Seemed to be good.  Then the stupid light popped back on again.  Same code. Any ideas?  Electrical connectors seem in tact for the plug. 
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/