• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

EBC Yellow Stuff Pads and Stock rotors

Started by Twintrbskies, June 18, 2018, 12:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twintrbskies

Well this didn't work out at all.

So i recently installed yellow stuff pads on my SHO and at first loved them! Stopped on a dime and grabbed immediately. After driving them after 4000 miles they are chewing up my rotors. I had the rotors turned prior to the install and used new hardware/grease were needed.

I just cant believe this would happen so fast? Any ideas Im missing here?

(And no i didn't race these on a road course or drag strip yet. Just a road trip... long road trip.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

2010 SHO non-PP, pearl white, Alky Controls Methanol kit-100% meth, tuned with Ortiz Performance, XDI-35, DW300C LPFP, E85, 3-Bar, K&N Drop-In, 160 T-stat, JLT Catch can, Stainless works Catless downpipes, Rear muffler delete with Borla Tips. (not currently using the methanol)

SHOdded

A) new rotors (high carbon content) are a must to get with new pads imho, and b) did you breakin the pads per EBC procedure?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Doesn't sound right....Can you post pics? I have the Blue stuff NDX pads which are the next step more aggressive than yellow and they aren't hard on the rotors...I don't think yellow stuff is supposed to be since they are a street pad.

I've seen rotors that are turned/machined and left too rough due to the tooling used.

I think EBC says you should get 2 pad changes to 1 rotor change at least for yellow stuff.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

I was curious if you smelled the pads burning on a hard stop from 70 + mph !  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Twintrbskies

Quote from: SHOdded on June 18, 2018, 12:07:51 AM
A) new rotors (high carbon content) are a must to get with new pads imho, and b) did you breakin the pads per EBC procedure?

I definitely agree and yes I followed the break in procedure.

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 18, 2018, 01:10:02 AM
Doesn't sound right....Can you post pics? I have the Blue stuff NDX pads which are the next step more aggressive than yellow and they aren't hard on the rotors...I don't think yellow stuff is supposed to be since they are a street pad.

I've seen rotors that are turned/machined and left too rough due to the tooling used.

I think EBC says you should get 2 pad changes to 1 rotor change at least for yellow stuff.

I can post pics of how they look now but they were pretty smooth after getting turned. Im wondering if the warmed up and got debri caked in which is why they are acting the way they are?

Quote from: ZSHO on June 18, 2018, 07:05:15 AM
I was curious if you smelled the pads burning on a hard stop from 70 + mph !  Z

I didnt have any odd smells during braking but sometimes at a stop I might smell (for a very short time) what I thought was hot brakes.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

2010 SHO non-PP, pearl white, Alky Controls Methanol kit-100% meth, tuned with Ortiz Performance, XDI-35, DW300C LPFP, E85, 3-Bar, K&N Drop-In, 160 T-stat, JLT Catch can, Stainless works Catless downpipes, Rear muffler delete with Borla Tips. (not currently using the methanol)

Twintrbskies

AjPturbo here is my rotor after a few weeks and 4000 miles.

ZSHO

I could be wrong but thought the FSM recommends to NOT Turn Rotors! Dunno! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

mjhpadi

If you are using stock Ford rotors they are notorious for being soft, on our last 5 vehicles they are needed replaced at very low mileage..around 30K miles.
On the SHO I used EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and Redstuff pads and they are working great.  I think it is more a function of the soft Ford/ Motorcraft rotors...I would never recommend using Ford rotors, they just don't stand up to today's harder pads, especially ceramic type pads.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

Twintrbskies

Hey thanks guys. I agree so guess Ill be replacing them all.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!