• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ping

Started by Dxlnt1, June 16, 2018, 01:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dxlnt1

On a recent trip to/from Arizona, I noticed my SHO was pinging. Occurs when car under a load. Not sure if could have been bad gas (Chevron) or the desert heat (115). Another caveat here, AC was definitely blowing. I don't remember if I turned AC off to check. Engine temp was 190 degrees, 3/4 tank of gas, 1 only driver in car with 100 lbs of total cargo. Has anyone experienced pinging in the intense heat of the desert?

Im running the 93 4x tune with the ACES IV
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

ZSHO

I haven't had the pleasure being in the Desert heat but could of been some bad gas IMO! I would add a bottle of Chevron techron fuel system cleaner to see if the pinging noise subsidies.
The motor oi changed recently!  Z 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Were you using aces to get to 93?  What was the calculated octane at the time?   Pinging is a lean condition, could be bad gas or simply insufficient octane.  Tracking OAR?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

At those ambients your IAT2 was probably at least 170-200 and theres only so much 91 and ACES can overcome.

Dxlnt1

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on June 16, 2018, 09:17:28 PM
At those ambients your IAT2 was probably at least 170-200 and theres only so much 91 and ACES can overcome.
I thought of that too. So my next full up I overdosed on ACES.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

Dxlnt1

Quote from: SHOdded on June 16, 2018, 03:01:50 PM
Were you using aces to get to 93?  What was the calculated octane at the time?   Pinging is a lean condition, could be bad gas or simply insufficient octane.  Tracking OAR?
Yes. I never a problem on previous trips. I'm making the haul again in couple months. Will verify if bad gas.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Dxlnt1

I had the dreaded pinging again. I am now convinced it related to IAT. Ambient air temp was roughly 115 degrees. AC running full blast. Ping would happen on any half to full throttle accelerations.

So as someone stated, I may be over taxing the ACES IV, 91 octane gas, and 93 octane tune. So I will go back to the 91 octane tune. And yes there will be a performance drop but.......

SHOdded

Wait n see I guess!  IDK if doubling the ACES would help anything, Brian probably knows tho.

Dxlnt1

Quote from: SHOdded on July 09, 2018, 02:04:37 PM
Wait n see I guess!  IDK if doubling the ACES would help anything, Brian probably knows tho.
I've been doing that for that reason. Havent had a chance to speak with Brian but I need to order some more car crack and was going ask him exactly that

SoCalSHO

Mine does that in the hot weather here. LMS 4x 91 tune.
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

StealBlueSho

hmm... I wouldn't expect the pinging to continue. If its really pinging from knock events, OAR should scale that spark back so it shouldn't happen.

SoCalSHO

Mine has done it for years. I just know I cant go all out in hot weather, or up an incline.
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

AJP turbo

Quote from: StealBlueSho on November 30, 2018, 09:09:49 AM
hmm... I wouldn't expect the pinging to continue. If its really pinging from knock events, OAR should scale that spark back so it shouldn't happen.

You never can know exactly what flavor the tuner put on Learned Octane and spark tuning. At very high loads like when at WOT the knock retard won't affect the OAR value with stock values in the tune.

That west coast 91 oct flat out sucks I'll say that...People with good gas need to be thankful. I often pull 2-4 degrees of spark at WOT even over stock values for people that live in the west...It sucks
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 30, 2018, 02:11:09 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on November 30, 2018, 09:09:49 AM

You never can know exactly what flavor the tuner put on Learned Octane and spark tuning. At very high loads like when at WOT the knock retard won't affect the OAR value with stock values in the tune.

That west coast 91 oct flat out sucks I'll say that...People with good gas need to be thankful. I often pull 2-4 degrees of spark at WOT even over stock values for people that live in the west...It sucks

Damn... I would think tuners would at least incorporate learned octane even at WOT..

Granted I have really good gasoline so I haven't seen high knock values except when my motor was blowing up.. lol

Good information Brad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk