• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Dead Moon Roof? MKS

Started by Mksmark, June 12, 2018, 10:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mksmark

I have bearly used this thing and now it just does not move or make a sound. The shade still works and the fuse is good. I pulled down the switches and they check out working using a ohm tester. From what I understand there are 2 motors that drive this thing, one for the tilt and one to roll it back. I pulled the relays in the fuse box and checked each one and they are all working. I just don`t want to pull the headliner down to find nothing wrong. Anyone have this problem too? Oh and my cd player will not play cd`s. disk read error. Drives me nuts thx, Mark

Mksmark

Found my problem after 3 years of looking. The motor for the sunroof and shade are the same and the drivers side failed. Another part make in Korea. You will need to drop the front of the head liner. Its not a easy job but worth it to have it working. Bought the motor from Amazon. Its a MM-992 sunroof motor. About $159.00 This is for the panoramic roof found only on MKS.

Broodingrage

Funny you should mention this, as I found myself in the same boat. Except mine was intermittant, I first thought it was the switch but a short time later with a multi-meter, I discovered is was indeed the motor. After some research, I discovered that the motor guilty of these pesky issues was right above my head. (2013 MKS Eco) Using my past skills in Car Audio (and all the tools needed to do this) I dove in. The headliner was like nothing I have ever seen, quite a few wiring harnessses that were literally hot-glued to it preventing a proper drop. That was the HARDEST thing to overcome, working with a 5 inch gap, at best. The motor came from Rockauto at about $135.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2604228&cc=1503893&pt=1536&jsn=1033

It was about a 3 hour job total, keeping in mind that my interior is a light tan and so there was much stopping and cleaning of my hands as I went to prevent staining of the headliner. It was well worth it, the Sunroof works perfectly and much quieter than before.

EDIT: There ARE two motors up there, Drivers side does Slide/Tilt and Passengers side just does the electric sunshade. After you replace the motor, you MUST do a
         motor initialization to get the motor to stop at the right points in travel. The steps are a bit convoluted (I had to write them down, I can supply them if
         requested)

I think a speaker upgrade will be next............ :bangin:

Mksmark

Last night I took the motor apart and found that there was a controller board with the motor and a few drops of water must have got in there. The board was corroded. The motor still worked fine when jumped with 12V. When I got done installing the motor, I didn`t need to do a initialization. It was plug and play on my 2012. It stops at the right spots. I`m just glad it over. Now to figure out why I can`t play CD`s. P.S. I used to do car audio as well in the 1980`s. Things are a lot different today.

Broodingrage

Very interesting. After I had put the new motor in my roof, until I ran the initialization, the roof would only move if I held down the switch. It would dead stop as soon as I took my finger off of the switch. Perhaps a Body controller computer change happened in 2013 (??) Either way, congrats on fixing your issue!

And yes, as for the stereo in this beast, it's a speaker upgrade only (probably an additional amp on the new 10" sub in the back deck) I couldn't imagine a head swap! What a nightmare, I'm too old for that kind of hassle.

TopherSho

I have half seriously joke/warned my wife ... if the center console dies ... im setting it on fire
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Mksmark

Checked my moonroof drains and 2 were running slow. I think what happened was during a hard rain it overflowed and leaked a little water right in front of the drivers side and shorted the motor computer out.

Broodingrage

Hmmm, now that you mentioned that, not too long after I replaced my motor, I had to pull down my Drivers front fenderwell to unblock my Moonroof dranage tube that was backing up water all the way to the roofline. That would certainly explain why my motor pooched it.

:hmmm: