• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Adaptive Cruise & Aftermarket Grille

Started by ryanp49, June 11, 2018, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanp49

Does anyone know if running a metal aftermarket grille effects the operation of the radar sensor for the ACC system? I noticed on all OEM applications for Ford it's mounted behind plastic. But to be fair...all of Fords front ends are plastic, so not sure if that means much LoL Thanks guys.

ryanp49

Just a little FYI...was able to successfully add adaptive cruise and collision warning to my car. But the radar sensor does not like the billet aluminum grille in the way. So I'll be making a custom mount to mount it behind some plastic of the bumper cover.

mjhpadi

I am betting that the ACC won't work great with metal since it doesn't like snow or even heavy rain...really hates when the slushy ice/snow mix sticks to the lower grillwork.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

ryanp49

It doesn't...so I 'm making a custom mount to mount it behind the bumper cover that is directly above the stock location. So it will be in between the top and bottom grille. We don't get too much snow here in TN so I shouldn't have to worry about snow building up...but I think the stock location is rather low. So I can see how it can become easily blocked with snow and slush.

lamrith

Any chance you have or can do a write-up on what you did to add this?  Did you have a PP car or non PP that just did not have the option added?

Part numbers you needed would be great also!  (yeah I am being greedy for information, sorry)
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

ryanp49

Quote from: lamrith on June 20, 2018, 01:40:17 PM
Any chance you have or can do a write-up on what you did to add this?  Did you have a PP car or non PP that just did not have the option added?

Part numbers you needed would be great also!  (yeah I am being greedy for information, sorry)

LoL No worries

Yeah I planned on putting together a how to as soon as I'm completely done with it. Currently working with Forscan support to add the service procedure to the 2013 Taurus's that allows you to calibrate the horizontal scan of the radar unit. Currently they have the service function for the 2014-2017 Taurus.

My car had every option I wanted except ACC...but for the price I got my car for I couldn't pass it up. And after using ACC on my wifes new F150 I decided the SHO needed it LoL

As far as I know, the only reason PP cars didn't come with ACC was because Ford mounted a aux trans cooler in the way of the factory radar unit location. So if you have a PP car, and want ACC I'm sure you could either move the trans cooler or move the radar unit to accommodate the trans cooler.

WhitePlatinumSHO

Interesting....didn't know adding ACC was possible...
2016 Platinum White SHO
- Unleashed Tune & 3 Bar MAP

2010 Red Candy SHO - Gone but not forgotten
1997 Cobra Coupe - 659rwhp / 609rwtq