• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

High IAT’s

Started by Katnexp, June 06, 2018, 10:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katnexp

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but I'd figure it's where I'll start. I just did data logs on both my unleashed 93 tune and my AJPTurbo tune. Both Torrie and Brad said that the charge temps were really high ~170 degrees. Any ideas on what's causing it or how to remedy it?

Also it's throwing a P0035 code - turbocharger bypass valve A control circuit high. Not really sure why that is or how to fix it.

My current mods are ngk plugs, 170 degree thermostat, 3bar map, MDesign intake, EPPcharge pipes with tial bov, Livernois catted downpipes, borla catback. On a '14 ex sport.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

2014 Explorer Sport. NGK plugs, 170 degree thermostat, 3 bar, MDesign intake, EPP Hot Pipes, TiAL bov, Livernois catted DPs, 3rd cat delete, Borla S-Type with Magnaflow X resonator, Unleashed 93 tune, AJPTurbo tune, H&R springs, TRS Morimoto hid and led fog kit

Twintrbskies

I remember reading somewhere that the bypass valve or wastegate was stuck shut (or electronically not opening) and causing heat to build up. I believe they had debris making it stick but have also heard it being a sensor that failed.

Have you had any power issues lately?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

2010 SHO non-PP, pearl white, Alky Controls Methanol kit-100% meth, tuned with Ortiz Performance, XDI-35, DW300C LPFP, E85, 3-Bar, K&N Drop-In, 160 T-stat, JLT Catch can, Stainless works Catless downpipes, Rear muffler delete with Borla Tips. (not currently using the methanol)

Twintrbskies

What I found...

Symptoms

Symptoms of a P0035 engine code may include:

*Increased engine and/or transmission temperatures
*Random noises from the turbocharger wastegate and/or hoses
*Reduced engine performance
*Black smoke from the exhaust system
*Other turbocharger boost related codes, engine misfire codes, or knock sensor codes may also be stored
*The spark plugs may be fouled
*Hotter engine temperatures may also lead to cylinder detonation

Causes

Potential causes for this P0035 code include:

*A defective boost pressure sensor is possibly the most common cause of a stored turbocharger bypass valve control circuit high code
*Turbocharger bypass valve failure
*Collapsed, disconnected, or split vacuum lines (applicable for vacuum actuated bypass valves)
*Turbocharger bypass valve actuator problems
*A shorted or open circuit in the turbocharger bypass control sensor circuit
*Loose, corroded, or disconnected electrical wiring/connectors in the turbocharger bypass control/boost pressure sensor reference circuit
*A bad PCM or boost controller
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

2010 SHO non-PP, pearl white, Alky Controls Methanol kit-100% meth, tuned with Ortiz Performance, XDI-35, DW300C LPFP, E85, 3-Bar, K&N Drop-In, 160 T-stat, JLT Catch can, Stainless works Catless downpipes, Rear muffler delete with Borla Tips. (not currently using the methanol)

ZSHO

The IAT Temps should not exceed 150 deg IIRC! What exactly did you use for vacuum reference for Tial BOV! 
Did you leave the Front BOV unplugged and Rear BOV plugged in !!! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Quote from: Katnexp on June 06, 2018, 10:26:49 PM
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but I'd figure it's where I'll start. I just did data logs on both my unleashed 93 tune and my AJPTurbo tune. Both Torrie and Brad said that the charge temps were really high ~170 degrees. Any ideas on what's causing it or how to remedy it?

Also it's throwing a P0035 code - turbocharger bypass valve A control circuit high. Not really sure why that is or how to fix it.

My current mods are ngk plugs, 170 degree thermostat, 3bar map, MDesign intake, EPPcharge pipes with tial bov, Livernois catted downpipes, borla catback. On a '14 ex sport.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I'd say the high IAT's are simply the Mdesign some way or another sucking in hot engine air. There has been quite a few of those that had snorkels that were warped and or cracked.

I emailed you but your 1st tune did not have the changes for the aftermarket BOV. Your 2nd tune should remedy that.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Katnexp

Thanks for the help so far. I know the bovs are both unplugged. Guess I may have to take it back to the dealer to see. I have a 3rd party extended warranty so the dealer has been super good about fixing stuff despite the mods.
2014 Explorer Sport. NGK plugs, 170 degree thermostat, 3 bar, MDesign intake, EPP Hot Pipes, TiAL bov, Livernois catted DPs, 3rd cat delete, Borla S-Type with Magnaflow X resonator, Unleashed 93 tune, AJPTurbo tune, H&R springs, TRS Morimoto hid and led fog kit

AJP turbo

Quote from: Katnexp on June 07, 2018, 10:12:44 AM
Thanks for the help so far. I know the bovs are both unplugged. Guess I may have to take it back to the dealer to see. I have a 3rd party extended warranty so the dealer has been super good about fixing stuff despite the mods.

You may not have anything wrong. Are you running rev. 2? Normally if your tune does not shut off the BOV control you need to leave the connectors plugged in to the stock BOV's and leave them in the engine. But if your tune does shut off the BOV control you can normally leave them unplugged and take them out. But I can also see a scenario where the ECU doesn't like them being uplugged at all.

If you have an aftermarket BOV and you are getting cel's for BOV codes and you have unplugged connectors you are probably wasting their time.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

derfdog15

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 07, 2018, 10:31:12 AM

You may not have anything wrong. Are you running rev. 2? Normally if your tune does not shut off the BOV control you need to leave the connectors plugged in to the stock BOV's and leave them in the engine. But if your tune does shut off the BOV control you can normally leave them unplugged and take them out. But I can also see a scenario where the ECU doesn't like them being uplugged at all.

If you have an aftermarket BOV and you are getting cel's for BOV codes and you have unplugged connectors you are probably wasting their time.

It's been a while, but I did not have any codes or issues with your tune(s) for the TiAL and the stock stuff sitting in the trunk disconnected
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Katnexp

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 07, 2018, 10:31:12 AM

I just flashed rev2. No cel yet but I haven't driven a ton. The iat2 gauge on the bdx never got over 140 degrees while I drove it around though.