• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Maple Tree Splitting At Trunk HELP!

Started by StealBlueSho, May 28, 2018, 03:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

This year has been a bit rough.. I lost my favorite tree in the back yard during the windstorm we had a couple months ago... and now my second favorite tree is splitting at the trunk... I am not a green thumb, and I am calling the local town arborist tomorrow...

Anyone on this forum had a similar issue happen with their tree? Were you able to save it? or am I going to need to cut it down? Thanks! 

SHOdded

:(. If you could save it would be a major project.  A LOT of trimming would be required so it could support weight up top.  Zip ties and duct tape won't be enough.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on May 28, 2018, 06:58:10 PM
:(. If you could save it would be a major project.  A LOT of trimming would be required so it could support weight up top.  Zip ties and duct tape won't be enough.

I have cinch straps on it right now.. plus I trimmed quite a bit off that side to alleviate the stress. I greatly appreciate the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FoMoCoSHO

You need an arbor line to tie it to one of the other main branches. We just had one installed in our maple a couple weeks ago since we don't want to lose this tree.

Just below the third cut up, lighting sucks right now but you can see it if you look close

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 28, 2018, 08:45:02 PM
You need an arbor line to tie it to one of the other main branches.

Thanks, I have that cinch on with the anchor point on the oppose side main trunk/branch...

FoMoCoSHO

SHOdded

Did they apply any repair material or will the tree be allowed to selfheal?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 28, 2018, 08:49:38 PM
Better pic

Was the trunk starting to split? Or was this preventative maintenance?

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on May 28, 2018, 09:10:55 PM
Did they apply any repair material or will the tree be allowed to selfheal?
Ours didn't need any repair, it was preventative maintenance so it doesn't split. It is a pretty large tree and the split is very low so there is a ton of force on each side. Did some strategic trimming as well to allow air to flow through better.

StealBlueSho

Arborist came out... tree needs to go as the damage is too much. Thanks for the input guys!

SHOdded

Sad :(  How much damage is recoverable from did he say?

StealBlueSho

He said a lot of things.. unfortunately I only understood half of it! Very smart guy to say the least...

Basically the split is too far down the trunk. If it had split further up it maybe recoverable. 

FoMoCoSHO

He may be smart but mother nature is smarter.

One of our maples at my Grandmas took a direct lightening hit many years ago and split it. I don't remember and she's no longer here to tell me what she did but she made the repair and the tree did the rest.

You can still see the battle damage but she's still standing and beautiful.

Hell , one of the Maples we cut down here sprouted another tree from the stump. It wants to live And basically turned into a Maple bush so I keep it trimmed up.

If it were me i would install the line to bring it back in line then I would use the tree goo heavily around the edges and see what happens. I don't see that there is anything to lose and mother nature may surprise you.

SHOdded

SilvererSHO

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 30, 2018, 01:25:24 PM
He may be smart but mother nature is smarter.

One of our maples at my Grandmas took a direct lightening hit many years ago and split it. I don't remember and she's no longer here to tell me what she did but she made the repair and the tree did the rest.

You can still see the battle damage but she's still standing and beautiful.

Hell , one of the Maples we cut down here sprouted another tree from the stump. It wants to live And basically turned into a Maple bush so I keep it trimmed up.

If it were me i would install the line to bring it back in line then I would use the tree goo heavily around the edges and see what happens. I don't see that there is anything to lose and mother nature may surprise you.

I agree.  The nicest tree I have in my yard is a Red Maple that has half it's trunk missing at the base.  My uncle had an ash tree split like the one you posted.  He winched it back together and put two 3/4" threaded rods with large washers through two holes he drilled and the tree it still going strong 10+ years later.  It's almost completely grown around the threaded rod now.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.