• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Bolt pattern question.

Started by Katnexp, May 20, 2018, 07:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katnexp

I recently came across a set of Ferrada fr2s that came off a challenger. It says the bolt pattern is the same 5x114 but I wonder with offsets if they'll work. Anyone have an idea if they'll work on my exp sport?
2014 Explorer Sport. NGK plugs, 170 degree thermostat, 3 bar, MDesign intake, EPP Hot Pipes, TiAL bov, Livernois catted DPs, 3rd cat delete, Borla S-Type with Magnaflow X resonator, Unleashed 93 tune, AJPTurbo tune, H&R springs, TRS Morimoto hid and led fog kit

dubcitySHO

Bolt patterns are slightly off.  Mopars run a 5x115 which WILL for over our studs just barely, but there is no way to PROPERLY torque them down so you will be constantly fighting balancing issues aside from the inward stress on the lug studs. 

I was previously looking into a set of take off wheels from a S.P. charger but decided against it for those reasons.
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

lamrith

While I cannot speak to the wheels you are looking at, Explorer sport factory wheels are 20*9", 5x114.3mm pattern with 44mm offset and 63.4mm hub bore.

It could be Farrada was being lazy with the 5x114 pattern and that they are actually 114.3mm, or it could be they are actually 114mm in which case I would not risk it.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Katnexp

2014 Explorer Sport. NGK plugs, 170 degree thermostat, 3 bar, MDesign intake, EPP Hot Pipes, TiAL bov, Livernois catted DPs, 3rd cat delete, Borla S-Type with Magnaflow X resonator, Unleashed 93 tune, AJPTurbo tune, H&R springs, TRS Morimoto hid and led fog kit

derfdog15

I did a quick search and looks like the FR2 does come in 5x114.3 but the offset is like 25mm which is too small for an Xsport application IMO. Ofcourse they likely offer them in more than one offset
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

A competent machine shop can elongate the existing bolt holes or create new ones entirely.  Offset is the bigger question, buying used can narrow the selection quite a bit.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

b4black

Quote from: dubcitySHO on May 20, 2018, 09:41:03 PM
Bolt patterns are slightly off.  Mopars run a 5x115 which WILL for over our studs just barely, but there is no way to PROPERLY torque them down so you will be constantly fighting balancing issues aside from the inward stress on the lug studs. 

I was previously looking into a set of take off wheels from a S.P. charger but decided against it for those reasons.

Have you experienced this, or are you speculating?

My previous car was a '02 Buick Regal with a 115 mm bolt pattern.  It was VERY common for Regal/Grand Prix owners to run Ford Mustang rims with 114.3 bolt patterns with no issues.

I suspect they are both the same bolt 4½" pattern, with just with two different names.  Remember the 0.7mm gets divided in half (distance between two lugs) and is likely within the tolerances of the machined wheel.

This is one of the most debated automotive topics on the internet.

Katnexp

The guy clarified and said they are 114.3. Just worried about the offset. Why would 25mm not work?

SHOdded

You havent said what size wheels you are looking at, but mainly I would think stress on the axles the further out they are.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Katnexp

Quote from: SHOdded on May 21, 2018, 02:37:21 PM
You havent said what size wheels you are looking at, but mainly I would think stress on the axles the further out they are.

Sorry. They're 20x9 up front and 20x10.5 out back.

SHOdded

lamrith

I am no size/offset expert, but based on what I learned and did it will have a heck of allot of poke.  I am pretty sure it would be out past the fenders with 20*10 on the rear and that offset, that will give you more clearance on the inside though.

Are you lowered?  I have a feeling this will not work at all if you are lowered since the tire/wheel will be past the plane of the fender, so even rolling the lip will not help.

I have 20*9.5 35 offset and they are just flush.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Katnexp

I did a little more reasearch and it looks like the hub bore is no where near the same. Looks like I'll have to pass. $1300 for farradas with tires seemed too good to be true.

SHOdded

I don't even have a SHO anymore, LOL.  I use bpd's SHO as the reference point for most wheel/tire questions since his too is a staggered setup.

The hub bore is larger, so that is not a big deal I think.  Almost 10mm but should still work.  It's the offset and the weight I am a little iffy on.  I cannot find the wheel weight info :(  Maybe the seller can weigh for you?

lamrith

Quote from: Katnexp on May 21, 2018, 04:00:19 PM
I did a little more reasearch and it looks like the hub bore is no where near the same. Looks like I'll have to pass. $1300 for farradas with tires seemed too good to be true.
As SHOdded mentions, don't worry about the bore as long as the wheel bore is larger.  My new wheels are 74.1mm bore, so I ordered a set of 63.4mm to 74.1mm hubcentric rings.  The wheels mounted up and I drove on them for a wheel just centered on the studs while I was waiting for hubcentric rings to arrive.  Some size combinations are not easy to find, but they are out there.  I prefer metal rings vs plastic.