• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Grinding noise on coast after 21k miles

Started by Gjkrisa, May 19, 2018, 11:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gjkrisa

Just noticed some grinding it's been a week been driving with it just the other day got worse now can hear it louder and it's more consistent
First noticed about a week ago but thought it was other vehicles around me because I couldn't repeat it or understand when it was happening.
https://youtu.be/0lMC6PmX2ig

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

Twintrbskies

Not to be rude but the rims look very dirty/muddy. To me it seems like some of the dirt could be lodged in the brake pads against the rotors causing the grinding. (Or possibly in the bearings)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

2010 SHO non-PP, pearl white, Alky Controls Methanol kit-100% meth, tuned with Ortiz Performance, XDI-35, DW300C LPFP, E85, 3-Bar, K&N Drop-In, 160 T-stat, JLT Catch can, Stainless works Catless downpipes, Rear muffler delete with Borla Tips. (not currently using the methanol)

Gjkrisa

Quote from: Twintrbskies on May 20, 2018, 12:46:16 AM
Not to be rude but the rims look very dirty/muddy. To me it seems like some of the dirt could be lodged in the brake pads against the rotors causing the grinding. (Or possibly in the bearings)
Yea kinda think so also but if in the break should have gone away by now I would think but I have been meaning to wash them I do not live with a hose attachment

SHOdded

You'd probably need to give the car a good wash and check to see if there are any leaks from the PTU, if the driveshaft is operating correctly, etc. in addition to checking the brakes for rocks in the dust shield etc.

How is the engine running, any issues?  What oil are you using now and how many engine hours between changes?  I think I recommended going no more than 100 hours in your case.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Gjkrisa

Quote from: SHOdded on May 20, 2018, 02:14:29 AM
You'd probably need to give the car a good wash and check to see if there are any leaks from the PTU, if the driveshaft is operating correctly, etc. in addition to checking the brakes for rocks in the dust shield etc.

How is the engine running, any issues?  What oil are you using now and how many engine hours between changes?  I think I recommended going no more than 100 hours in your case.
Currently amsoil 0w-30 I'll check hours later but definitely not related to engine does not change with rpms

Most likely something with the breaks as I slowly add break the sound and vibration get worse to a point then goes away maybe I'll try a hard stop 60-0

Usually mud or rocks don't stay stuck in wheels this long but also usually wash my cars soon after a bad mud bath.

SHOdded

Wear on the rotors seems normal.  Do the inside and outside pads look evenly worn?  Any rust buildup on the hubs?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Gjkrisa

Quote from: SHOdded on May 20, 2018, 02:40:50 AM
Wear on the rotors seems normal.  Do the inside and outside pads look evenly worn?  Any rust buildup on the hubs?
Picture actually shows a line on side of passenger side rotor not the face it thought was interesting pads do seem even but low for only two years use

But waiting for the oil change to get a qualified person to look at it hopefully.

There is rust on the hub before I switched over to summer tires 3 weeks  ago

Twintrbskies

Something could have been embedded in the pads causing grinding against the rotors. As the heat builds, especially if you have the stock pads, its more likely to occur. Happened more times in my truck than I would like to admit.

Lol and I understand Fairbanks can be harsh on the roads as the year goes. Spent some time there for a while myself.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

2010 SHO non-PP, pearl white, Alky Controls Methanol kit-100% meth, tuned with Ortiz Performance, XDI-35, DW300C LPFP, E85, 3-Bar, K&N Drop-In, 160 T-stat, JLT Catch can, Stainless works Catless downpipes, Rear muffler delete with Borla Tips. (not currently using the methanol)

ZSHO

Clean the Brake pads & Calipers with a pressure washer and start from there! It could be something lodged inside the brake pad caliper.

Probably got mud in your tires/wheels. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lamrith

Rocks/debris can and will stay in a caliper pad a long time unless you remove them.  Def start there 1st.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Gjkrisa

Fixed! So turned out loose lug nuts... All tires were loose driver was THE WORST 4 hand loose and the 5th only had maybe 20 lbs!
I did my own tire change over from winter so I only have my self to blame I'm pretty sure I did 100lbs on all lugs but only when still in the air never checked when brought it back down. :S

Well glad that's over. Now I know what a loose wheel sounds like and you will hear it before someone points out a loose tire.

ZSHO

Quote from: Gjkrisa on May 20, 2018, 06:40:12 PM
Fixed! So turned out loose lug nuts... All tires were loose driver was THE WORST 4 hand loose and the 5th only had maybe 20 lbs!
I did my own tire change over from winter so I only have my self to blame I'm pretty sure I did 100lbs on all lugs but only when still in the air never checked when brought it back down. :S

Well glad that's over. Now I know what a loose wheel sounds like and you will hear it before someone points out a loose tire.

Wow! Luckily you were Spared without incident! Glad it was something simple.  Z   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|