• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rack and Pinion Noise on 2013 SHO?

Started by crashnburn, August 15, 2013, 12:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crashnburn

If I am setting in my car parked with the engine running and I wiggle the steering wheel left and right quickly, I can hear a loose noise almost as if the rack and pinion bushings are worn out or one of the tie rod ends has a little slack in it. I haven't gotten under the car while having someone wiggle the steering wheel while I look and listen yet, but I figured that I could ask everyone on here to see if their SHOs do the same thing.

Thank You.
2013 SHO PP, No Mods Yet...

geswek

Yes, mine does it. Ford told me it was normal. I even had the washer TSB completed and it didn't help.

I just live with it now.

Sent from a mobile, I think.

crashnburn

What is the washer TSB exactly? I don't believe I have read about that yet.

crashnburn

Does anyone know what exactly on the steering system is making this noise?

JMR76

I have the same thing when turning the wheel back and forth at a stop.

I also have a creak and clicking noise when shifting from drive to reverse, vise versa, and once I give it some gas (torque) something clicks and creaks.
I was thinking to have Them check it, but it could be normal?
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

crashnburn

The dealer gave me the ole "its a characteristic of these vehicles" line over the phone today. I'm going to pick it up in the morning and I'm going to go get the keys to a new one on the lot and see for myself. Ill keep you posted as to how a new Taurus steering sounds.

Mac98SHO

Check out your drivers seat bottom cover, mine won't stay clipped and I think I seen few more like that... I am finally getting it taken care of next week.

I have the rack noise also... guessing it just characteristics of the rack, nothing is loose.
2013 SHO w/Performance Package (Tuxedo Black)
Air Raid Intake
X-pipe with Stock Mufflers
X4 SCT w/Unleashed Tunes

JMR76

I just had my clicking noise checked out.  They told me it was the axle clip/ washer (both sides) that there is a TSB for that geswek mentioned.

Doesn't solve the back and forth play, but that wasn't bothering me as much as the clicking.
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

crashnburn

JMR76,

They performed this TSB on your 2013? What exactly is this axle clip and where is it located?

JMR76

They are doing it Friday.  I'm 99% sure they are correct though.  They showed me a picture. It looks like a washer that is on the axle shaft in from the inner cv joint.  Part 4B422 I think.  I don't remember the TSB number and I couldn't find it on line.  I'm not sure what it does exactly.  They were pretty confident they knew this was the problem.  I'm hoping they're right, but my service department is pretty big and one of the few I have never had problems at.

The noise kind of sounded like a CV joint going bad except it didn't matter if I was turning the wheels or not. 

breeves002

I couldn't find anything on that TSB. Is it super new?
SHO Lover and Advanced Diagnostics Enthusiast
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - 3.5L N/A Duratec

JMR76

Replaced both axle shaft washer as per TSB 13-5-14.

It did solve the metallic clicking / clunking noise.

SD13SHO

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time"

2015 Mustang EchoBoost