• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2016 3.5L Ecoboost into a 2012 F150...is it possible?

Started by nebrasksa_ecoboost, May 15, 2018, 08:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebrasksa_ecoboost

Ok. First, I'm very new to this forum and I've searched the internet up and down for my answer, so if I'm in the wrong place please don't flame me. Just tell me where to go. Thanks!

I have a 2012 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 with a 3.5L ecoboost. The engine has 96K on it and recently started knocking. At the first horrendous knocking and heavy exhaust, I limped it 3 miles to my local ASE mechanic. He told me the #2 piston was cracked. This is unfortunate since I recently (5k miles ago) replaced the timing chain, all of the tensioners, cam phasers, vct's, etc. Now with this engine being virtual junk (cracked piston, heavy scoring on cylinder wall), I would like to swap a newer 2016 3.5L into it as opposed to putting a 2011-2014 back in it.

LMS in Detroit gave me a simple answer...its possible. I was wondering if anyone has experience swapping a 2016 3.5L into a 2011-14 F150. Are the PCMs compatible? Are the sensors compatible? Also, if it matters, I have the touchscreen display, sunroof, and pretty much every option available.

Thanks for your time.

Blair B
2012 Ford F150 Lariat FX4
3.5L Ecoboost
LMS Tuner and Cold Air Intake

bamsho

As long as the 3.5 is a Gen 1 motor you should be fine.   Double check crank and cam sensors to make sure they will work.  Pretty sure the Gen 2 3.5 won't be compatible.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.