• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tow sensor?

Started by A 01 Badger, May 15, 2018, 10:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A 01 Badger

As I sit in the Bronx impound office waiting to get my car which was towed I'm wondering if the SHO has a sensor that tells the car is being towed.
I saw them pull in with my car hooked from just the front wheels. My rear wheels appeared to be spinning freely which I hopes mean a sensor was triggered and not that the trans was snapped. I watched another Taurus get pulled in behind mine and the back wheels were being dragged. I'm hoping that person had their E brake engaged and it wasn't the trans. He will need new rear tires but I'm hoping mine won't be worse.
Sold - 2013 SHO w/ PP LMS 93 Tune, 3 Bar, NGK Iridium Plugs, MDesign CAI,  30% tint

2018 XSport - AJP Turbo tune, Steeda Rear Sway Bar and Rear Trailing Arms

2011 Audi S4 mt6 - EPL Stage 2 tune, Injen intake, EPL supercharger pulley, RDX Billet trans mount, ECS sub frame inserts, JXB Performance Short Throw shift kit.

5ohSHO

The owners manual says in a couple of places to NOT tow an AWD vehicle with just the front wheels off of the ground or damage can occur. Try not to strangle the wrecker driver.

ZSHO

Agreed with 5ohSHO ^^^ FLATBED IS REQUIRED!!! 
I truly hope NO Perpetual Damage was caused to the Trans.......
Best of luck and keep us updated.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

A 01 Badger

It appears to be fine. Most upsetting they looked at me like I was speaking Greek.  No sir, a Taurus is front wheel drive you won't have issues.  They they wanted to tell me they typically don't have awd.  I'm not sure why I would care about what's typical.

As I mentioned, the wheels were spinning freely when they had it hoisted from the front so I have to assume that there must be a sensor of some type that tells the car it's being towed and throws the trans into neutral. I can't figure any other way. I'm still in the city so I haven't had a chance to jump on the accelerator but it's quiet and seems to be fine for now.
Sold - 2013 SHO w/ PP LMS 93 Tune, 3 Bar, NGK Iridium Plugs, MDesign CAI,  30% tint

2011 Audi S4 mt6 - EPL Stage 2 tune, Injen intake, EPL supercharger pulley, RDX Billet trans mount, ECS sub frame inserts, JXB Performance Short Throw shift kit.

ZSHO

Quote from: A 01 Badger on May 15, 2018, 11:10:52 AM
It appears to be fine. Most upsetting they looked at me like I was speaking Greek.  No sir, a Taurus is front wheel drive you won't have issues.  They they wanted to tell me they typically don't have awd.  I'm not sure why I would care about what's typical.

As I mentioned, the wheels were spinning freely when they had it hoisted from the front so I have to assume that there must be a sensor of some type that tells the car it's being towed and throws the trans into neutral. I can't figure any other way. I'm still in the city so I haven't had a chance to jump on the accelerator but it's quiet and seems to be fine for now.
Check for any such Codes!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

A 01 Badger

Both My LMS tuner and my Actron pocket scan show no codes.

lamrith

Quote from: A 01 Badger on May 15, 2018, 10:35:22 AM
As I sit in the Bronx impound office waiting to get my car which was towed I'm wondering if the SHO has a sensor that tells the car is being towed.
I saw them pull in with my car hooked from just the front wheels. My rear wheels appeared to be spinning freely which I hopes mean a sensor was triggered and not that the trans was snapped. I watched another Taurus get pulled in behind mine and the back wheels were being dragged. I'm hoping that person had their E brake engaged and it wasn't the trans. He will need new rear tires but I'm hoping mine won't be worse.
WTF is wrong with these guys?  Honestly that is blatant and neglectful disregard for property.  I do not care if it is being impounded or what the reasoning for being towed.  Tow trucks come with dollies to put under axles that are inoperative for a reason, to not damage the vehicle further, not damage the roads and also saves wear and tear on the tow truck.  You should have video'd that other taurus being dragged in as proof of abuse of peoples vehicles.

Crossing my fingers that your car is ok man, hearing that just really infuriates me.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

jman

According to the maintenance manual, the rear wheels are always connected to the PTU... there is an Active Torque Coupling that I am not sure what it does but it doesn't disengage as on other AWD vehicles.

The fact that those %$&*@ towed a vehicle with the parking brake ON tells you they don't give a #$%@ about other people's vehicles. You should have taken a video and made it viral, they do not belong in the towing business.   

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

SHOdded

The ATC is basically the clutch pack for the RDU.  The driveshaft does not spin during P or N, probably due to the idler bearing in the PTU, but otherwise is always engaged with the PTU.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

A 01 Badger

Quote from: SHOdded on May 15, 2018, 02:15:43 PM
The ATC is basically the clutch pack for the RDU.  The driveshaft does not spin during P or N, probably due to the idler bearing in the PTU, but otherwise is always engaged with the PTU.

I guess that was the case SHOdded. As I mentioned my rear wheels appeared to be spinning freely when I saw it.

I've driven about 50 miles home at speeds up to 95 and it appeRs to be fine. Wish I would have grabbed video of the car being dragged, guess I was in shock and praying that wasn't what happened to my car.

AJP turbo

Things like this just make me lose faith in humanity....Driver deserves to be insulted at a minimum...And why can't people just own up to what they do instead of making themselves look worse and dumber when they say things like" ah they typically aren't awd"...That is actually so funny because it shows the level of stupidity...And it shows that they are wrong and stupid.

But I want to say that if the car was powered off then the clutches in the RDU were not being called to engage and that you were free wheeling and things should be ok but I don't know really.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SM105K

Holy crap I would be livid.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |