• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

13+ lower grill modifications

Started by lamrith, May 10, 2018, 03:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

I am working on visual mods to the SHO and am wondering about the lower grill area.  I have a PP so no adaptive cruise.  I believe on the adaptive there is a mesh panel on the driver side for the sensor?   I honestly am curious as to why Ford left them covered like they did in teh non adaptive cruise cars?  They have an obvious shape like they could have or should have been opened up, but then they did not do it?  I am wondering if there is any benefit to opening up the side sections?

At the same time though that will change how air enters the nose of the car and maybe it needs to be channeled at the center where all the cooling cores are?  Could air rusing in there right at the wheel well liners cause problems with the liners?  I can see it as being another way for water and dirt to get in there and make a mess, but visually I think it might be better and it will put more cool air in there to push hot air out..?

Thoughts?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

derfdog15

Quote from: lamrith on May 10, 2018, 03:05:08 PM
I am working on visual mods to the SHO and am wondering about the lower grill area.  I have a PP so no adaptive cruise.  I believe on the adaptive there is a mesh panel on the driver side for the sensor?   I honestly am curious as to why Ford left them covered like they did in teh non adaptive cruise cars?  They have an obvious shape like they could have or should have been opened up, but then they did not do it?  I am wondering if there is any benefit to opening up the side sections?

At the same time though that will change how air enters the nose of the car and maybe it needs to be channeled at the center where all the cooling cores are?  Could air rusing in there right at the wheel well liners cause problems with the liners?  I can see it as being another way for water and dirt to get in there and make a mess, but visually I think it might be better and it will put more cool air in there to push hot air out..?

Thoughts?

My dad and I have always been fans of opening the grills up. I never did so on my SHO, but on my mustang I put a termi (03/04 cobra) front bumper on for additional cooling due to a larger opening (and to show off the intercooler). We made a mess grill with I believe gutter mesh, and painted it, it is literally attached by a few zipties in trick locations, to keep bugs out. He did the same type of grill and opened up the lower grill/bumper portion on his 2011 F150 Ecoboost.

I say go for it if you want to. Remove the OEM stuff, rather than modifying it, so you can put it back if you want to.

Oh, and Pics when you do it.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

Might be open on the po-po cars, but not sure.

Opening up airflow also opens up more contaminant flow. So I would advise regular cleaning of radiator/condenser/etc. to keep the issue manageable.  A foaming cleaner like used for home A/C works well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Quote from: derfdog15 on May 10, 2018, 03:59:57 PM

I say go for it if you want to. Remove the OEM stuff, rather than modifying it, so you can put it back if you want to.

Oh, and Pics when you do it.
I would be opening up the side parts of the OEM one.  I am not ready or interested in opening the entire thing up.  Based on what I saw under there attaching the mesh I have would be problematic at best with the contour of things.  But I will check again.

Quote from: SHOdded on May 10, 2018, 04:28:04 PM
Might be open on the po-po cars, but not sure.

Opening up airflow also opens up more contaminant flow. So I would advise regular cleaning of radiator/condenser/etc. to keep the issue manageable.  A foaming cleaner like used for home A/C works well.
That was a concern as well, though it is already open in the middle and I would only open up the small side panels and the middle is already open from factory.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SHOdded

Sometimes the only way is through.  Go for it, and best of luck! 
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

If this involves getting my engine bay dirty then i pass...Z   :P

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Just put a sock on it like with the Airaid filter!

mjhpadi

Even with the cover on there has been a few times I have gotten "Radar inactive...remove snow or dirt from area" message.  And my car has only been out a few times in nasty weather.  I would think it would just be asking for more trouble removing the cover. 
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

lamrith

Thanks guys.  Based on the input here and looking more at pictures I am going to just stick with the center vented area like the car has now.  The line I think will look pretty good once it is done.