• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hubcentric rings? source?

Started by lamrith, May 09, 2018, 03:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

I was wondering if any of you had an online source you recommend to get hubcentric rings?  Turns out the local tire places do not carry them.

The second questions is are the really needed on our cars?  Discount shows this wheel fitting the SHO, but the bore on the wheel is way bigger than the SHO hub.  The local Discount Tire does not have the rings and their system does not even show they are needed or an option?

Hub: 63.4mm
Wheel: 74.1..
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SkinnyTick

2013 SHO PP
Sterling Grey Metallic
Megan Coilovers | MDesign Intake | Catted PPE Downpipes | VTA
Summer Shoes: Silver Drag DR37 20X8.5 38MM with General Gmax AS05 255/45R20
Winter Shoes: Anthracite Sport ST7 18X8 35MM with Blizzak DMV2 235/60R18

EcoAbe

Are they "really needed" on our cars? No. If the lug pattern is 5x114.3 you wouldn't have an alignment issue with the studs on the hub.

However, it would be foolish to allow your vehicle to ride lug-centric rather than hub-centric as the factory wheels are manufactured. When you use a hubcentric wheel adapter, the weight each corner bares is spread evenly without the possibility of wheel movement. If no adapter is used, the weight of the car is essentially being held up by 20 lugs while the wheel then has the opportunity to "hula hoop" around the hub. No bueno. This ends up causing all sorts of fun problems 5,000 miles down the road, plus your wheels will all feel like they're horribly unbalanced. Shaking, vibrating, banging, etc.

I believe this is the vendor I have used in the past when I had a set of Niche wheels on my MKS:
http://us.hubcentric-rings.com/sizes/
2015 Bronze Fire Non PP w/ 401a package

KonaTheWhale

I have been playing around with the idea of putting hub centric spacers with my stock 20" rims. Done a bit of research here and there but what would the correct dimensions for spacers be for the stock rims and what is the largest spacers that would fit?
2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP Kona blue, Livernois 93 octane 3 bar tune, PPE catless downpipes, muffler delete, 160* stat, K&N drop in filter, VTA mod, rear end lowered, 15% tint, EBC brake upgrade

lamrith

Quote from: EcoAbe on May 09, 2018, 03:53:59 PM
Are they "really needed" on our cars? No. If the lug pattern is 5x114.3 you wouldn't have an alignment issue with the studs on the hub.

However, it would be foolish to allow your vehicle to ride lug-centric rather than hub-centric as the factory wheels are manufactured. When you use a hubcentric wheel adapter, the weight each corner bares is spread evenly without the possibility of wheel movement. If no adapter is used, the weight of the car is essentially being held up by 20 lugs while the wheel then has the opportunity to "hula hoop" around the hub. No bueno. This ends up causing all sorts of fun problems 5,000 miles down the road, plus your wheels will all feel like they're horribly unbalanced. Shaking, vibrating, banging, etc.

I believe this is the vendor I have used in the past when I had a set of Niche wheels on my MKS:
http://us.hubcentric-rings.com/sizes/
Thanks guys, I was pretty certain I need them, just wanted to verify.  I am just shocked that none of the local tire shops carry them.
I saw the hubcentric-rings website, but was unsure about them being plastic.

Quote from: SkinnyTick on May 09, 2018, 03:49:16 PM
Order from Amazon, or can check Ebay too. I prefer the aluminum over plastic
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Hubrings-Aluminium-Centric-63-4x74-1mm/dp/B01CV0MNHY/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1525895202&sr=1-2&keywords=63.4mm+to+74.1mm+hub
Thanks, just placed an order for those!

Quote from: KonaTheWhale on May 09, 2018, 04:46:02 PM
I have been playing around with the idea of putting hub centric spacers with my stock 20" rims. Done a bit of research here and there but what would the correct dimensions for spacers be for the stock rims and what is the largest spacers that would fit?
Factory Sho Hub bore is 63.4mm, so if you bought hubcentric spacers to work with stock hubs AND wheels, you need them in 63.4mm.  I am not sure how big of a space you can get away with on the stock wheel studs.  The General rule of thumb on threads is that you need at least as much threads engages as the width of the bolt.  So you need a bare minimum of 1/2 of threads engaged in the lugnut, more of course is better since we are talking the only thing holding the wheels on the car.  I would probably recommend 3/4".  All that can be hard to measure on a wheel stud sunk into a wheel.. 

One trick might be to put something on the threads in stock config.  Find something that the lug nut will smear or remove so you can see there the lug nut reaches but is also removable and not grease which you never want on those threads.  Then torque down the wheels.  Then remove everything and see how much of the threads the lug nut engaged in stock configuration. 
Lets say you find that you have 1.25" of threads engaged in stock  configuration
Then you could probably add a 1/2" spacer and still be safe (3/4" engaged).
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

MeanKS

so the MKS has the same wheel parameters as the SHO regarding Hub Rings, right?
MKS-EB...

lamrith

Quote from: MeanKS on May 15, 2018, 06:56:49 PM
Not sure, I used a few sources to verify my sho sizing.  What year MKS?

MeanKS

Quote from: lamrith on May 15, 2018, 08:12:16 PM
MKS-EB...

lamrith

Quote from: MeanKS on May 18, 2018, 01:54:42 AM
Quote from: lamrith on May 15, 2018, 08:12:16 PM
I like to use these guys as they have factory wheels specs since they are a refurb shop.
https://detroitwheelandtire.com/lincoln/mks.html?cat=1832&wheeltypetext=141

All the ones I skimmed showed the same 63.4mm as the sho.