• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rear turbo removal

Started by 2010Limited, May 08, 2018, 07:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2010Limited

Quote from: ZSHO on May 10, 2018, 02:07:05 PM
Quote from: 2010Limited on May 10, 2018, 01:58:39 PM
The bolt? How about that filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! I guess plugged,restrictive is an understatement.  Z
Just slightly plugged. You mentioned the bolt- what would make that bad?

ZSHO

Quote from: 2010Limited on May 10, 2018, 02:07:41 PM

The Banjo bolt,copper washer starts leaking with age and corrosion for starter's.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

2010Limited

Quote from: ZSHO on May 10, 2018, 02:14:07 PM
Quote from: 2010Limited on May 10, 2018, 02:07:41 PM

The Banjo bolt starts leaking with age and corrosion for starter's.  Z
Good info - I don't know if that was a problem here. No leaks on top...just internally

SHOdded

That will buff right out.  Use your good spit and get to it.  LOL
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mrhighcaliber

Quote from: 2010Limited on May 10, 2018, 01:29:30 PM
This could have been the culprit

Also:

[/quote]That filter screen tho. That was definitely the reason that turbo died. I did mine a month ago just upgrading a bit. My screen had literally 10 specs/120k.

That turbo bares a pretty strong resemblance to the hand gesture depicted. Hmmm

These are mine. Maybe consider some upgrades while it's out.lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Quick reminder to please wear gloves when doing this kind of work.  No need to expose yourself to these health hazards.  New fluids are generally pretty safe, used not so much.

BTW, great info in this thread, will help a lot of folks in the coming years. :thumb: :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

2010Limited

Quote from: mrhighcaliber on May 11, 2018, 03:48:24 AM
Quote from: 2010Limited on May 10, 2018, 01:29:30 PM
This could have been the culprit

Also:

That filter screen tho. That was definitely the reason that turbo died. I did mine a month ago just upgrading a bit. My screen had literally 10 specs/120k.

That turbo bares a pretty strong resemblance to the hand gesture depicted. Hmmm

These are mine. Maybe consider some upgrades while it's out.lol

[/quote]

Considering the tub has 150k on it I don't want to spend a ton on turbos and tunes to have the trans take a dump shortly. I love this truck but not enough to spend a ton on it. I just want it operational again

2010Limited

Quote from: SHOdded on May 11, 2018, 06:21:23 AM
Quick reminder to please wear gloves when doing this kind of work.  No need to expose yourself to these health hazards.  New fluids are generally pretty safe, used not so much.

BTW, great info in this thread, will help a lot of folks in the coming years. :thumb: :thumb:

I hate working with gloves on. But agreed. Thanks

2010Limited

Quote from: mrhighcaliber on May 08, 2018, 09:44:47 PM
Quote from: 2010Limited on May 08, 2018, 08:48:34 PM
Thank you so much!

Here are the parts that I used for gaskets.(front and rear turbo). Don't remember which is which. But Rock Auto carries these parts. But eBay had them for a few bucks cheaper + free shipping. I will post the reassembly procedure as well. Also get yourself some copper or nickel based antisieze for all of your nuts and bolts that contact the exhaust or anything hot or that are rusty. Including the heat shield bolts.

I would need the GS3374 gasket set for the rear turbo correct?
I assuming it's the right turbo

ZSHO

I thought the 744 would be for the RH Turbo! Correct me if I'm wrong.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Lefthand = front, Righthand = rear w/ reference to the turbos, correct?  So would need the righthand/rear gasket?

2010Limited

Quote from: SHOdded on May 22, 2018, 07:47:40 AM
Lefthand = front, Righthand = rear w/ reference to the turbos, correct?  So would need the righthand/rear gasket?
That's what I'm thinking. It makes sense that the front of the engine is the passenger side well so the rear turbo would be the right. You always reference parts as your sitting in the vehicle. LH fender is the drivers side etc.

SHOdded

Yeah, driver's seat view as of a longitudinally oriented engine with the belt drive/pulleys towards the radiator.

ZSHO

X2-  RH = REAR TURBO!
I think SHOdded summed it up quite well!  Z   :)  So you will need the 744 which is for the RH TURBO as mentioned ^^^  Best of luck.  Z

2010Limited

That's what I ordered. I also got a new oil tube and bolt. I had the filter from before so that will be all new back there.