• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Group buy on 170 degree thermostats for F150 or Flex/SHO/Explorer Sport/MKT/MKS

Started by EcoPowerParts, August 14, 2013, 05:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

Guys I have the ability to pick up a bunch of 170 degree thermostats for you guys, I can sell them at $60 shipped but I need to have a commitment for 15 T-stats to make the order.
These are quality T-stats used by other "top shelf" tuners.
Please reply here if you are interested, once I get a commitment from 15 I'll need to collect $10 deposit from each person you can paypal a deposit to info AT ecoboostpowerparts.com
I'll need to know if you have an F150 or SHO/Flex/MKT/MKS/Explorer sport.

In order to take advantage of the thermostat you'll want to have your tune updated to accommodate it.

List:
RedRocket327 explorer sport
The OLDMAN sho?
BigPelo sho
jomc111's uncle? SHO? (maybe)
Orguss sho?
QuickSHO sho
scap99 truck
Boggus sho
wildsho13 - sho
LanMorga - F150

explorer forum:
285ferrari
bhazard1
rbrding
xtremejc

shoforum
orgus sho
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

DJE624

What are the stock thermostats set at?  Do we need our tune adjusted to use these?  What are the benefits?  (Pardon my ignorance.)  :-[  ;D

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: DJE624 on August 14, 2013, 05:53:29 PM
What are the stock thermostats set at?  Do we need our tune adjusted to use these?  What are the benefits?  (Pardon my ignorance.)  :-[  ;D
Car runs cooler, car is happier. You have to adjust tune so fans come on sooner. :)
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

SoCalSHO

Quick questions though..Why wouldn't the factory put them on in the first place? And how easy is the install? Thanks (Sorry, I'm ignorant about this stuff also)
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: SoCalSHO on August 14, 2013, 06:27:37 PM

Quick questions though..Why wouldn't the factory put them on in the first place? And how easy is the install? Thanks (Sorry, I'm ignorant about this stuff also)
The old stand by has been because you'll get a colder more dense air charge as compared to a 210 thermostat.
I suggest some reading and a decision for yourself. Some say increased engine wear and problems, others swear by it. I always do it mostly because it's hot as hades here and I need to try and keep the base temperature lower in case I decide to floor it. Those 30 degrees I get from a lower t-stat might save my rear on the top end.
I could be wrong but Livernois, Unleashed and most tuning shop sell them as an accessory for your ride.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

crash712us

They do make difference, engine temp dictates a lot of things and timing is of them.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

EcoBrick Bob

I am running a 170 deg T-stat with the stock tune at the moment.  With my custom CAI, my IAT temps are at or below Ambient on hwy, and my engine temp ranges from 179-185, usually in the low 180's.  Engine temp was at least 5 deg higher when I was running the AirAid Cai, and IAT temp was always several deg over ambient.  My fans have not been set to turn on earlier.  Yes that is a very good idea, and would help even more in town, though Flex runs cooler than my G8, which has a tune to take advantage of fans, and 160 deg T-stat.

Where this helps at the strip, is that vehicle doesn't heat sink quite as quickly, and recovers sooner.  It's a good idea even if you don't have your tuner change fan on temp.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

jomc111

If its down to the wire to get them or  not let me know.  I dont have a need for this right now but can jump in to make it work. Also could probably convince my uncle to get one for his to. So let me know when time comes
2009 mazdaspeed 3 Garrett GT3076R//HKS SQV3 blowoff valave//Autotech internals//Pauter rods//CP pistons// ACT 6 puck clutch// Lightened Flywheel//PG tubular manifold//Corksport downpipe// Streetunit racepipe// Greddy Ti-C catback//HKS type 0 Turbo Timer// Manual boost controller// Eibach pro-kit// Koni FSD dampers// JDM yellow fog overlays// COBB short throw shifter// oil filter conversion // BSD //
Parted out - sold
2010 sho -stock -sold
2014 focus st

crashnburn

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on August 14, 2013, 06:39:05 PM

The old stand by has been because you'll get a colder more dense air charge as compared to a 210 thermostat.
I suggest some reading and a decision for yourself. Some say increased engine wear and problems, others swear by it. I always do it mostly because it's hot as hades here and I need to try and keep the base temperature lower in case I decide to floor it. Those 30 degrees I get from a lower t-stat might save my rear on the top end.
I could be wrong but Livernois, Unleashed and most tuning shop sell them as an accessory for your ride.
I know my mustang tuner/engine builder always told me the same thing about the additional engine wear. Are there any documented cases where the lower thermostat temp causes additional engine wear?
2013 SHO PP, No Mods Yet...

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: crashnburn on August 18, 2013, 06:30:10 PM
Quote from: 4DRHTRD on August 14, 2013, 06:39:05 PM

I know my mustang tuner/engine builder always told me the same thing about the additional engine wear. Are there any documented cases where the lower thermostat temp causes additional engine wear?
Not on these motors that I'm aware of, I don't know how you would actually document it to be honest.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

crashnburn

Yeah I guess you're right, it would be hard to actually document that. I just asking, in the event of a tear down has anyone observed excessive wear to the engine when a low temp thermostat was used?
2013 SHO PP, No Mods Yet...

SHOdded

I would think the only thing to worry about would be the proper weight oil for your operating temps.  I haven't found a progressive chart yet that shows where the different weight oils flow at different engine temps, but here is a useful link about how the ratings work:  http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

Comparative oil viscosities http://www.widman.biz/English/Tables/Graph-motors.html
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

scap99

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on August 19, 2013, 09:02:07 AM
We're at 11 between both forums, 4 more and I'll order the T-stats

Do I need to send my deposit, yet?  Or are you waiting to hit 15?

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: scap99 on August 19, 2013, 10:52:35 AM

I will wait until we hit 15 to make sure the group buy will go through.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

scap99

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on August 19, 2013, 11:21:45 AM
Quote from: scap99 on August 19, 2013, 10:52:35 AM

I will wait until we hit 15 to make sure the group buy will go through.

I got a buddy that's interested. I'll see if I can get him to sign up and claim a slot.