• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

5th gear only - 2010 Flex Ecoboost

Started by ticclint, May 04, 2018, 01:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ticclint

I have a 2010 Flex SEL Ecoboost that has exhibited a ton of issues. 

I've had frozen rear caliper.
I've had both primary o2 sensors die
I've had the water pump go out.
I've had a cam advance solenoid fail.
I've had both turbos fail.
And the latest in all of this mess is the transmission only has 5th gear.  No others are working (unless you count neutral not doing anything as working).

So, some background.  The solenoid, both turbos and the trans all happened at the same time.  Great way to start the year.  I dropped the motor and trans out of it, fixed everything, and put it back in. 

As part of having the engine out I did test the TRS and it failed so I replaced with new.  Upon removal I also pulled the valve body and cleaned it all up and verified all seals and filters for it were in ok shape.

Once back in and all the connections verified I went to pull it off the rack to align it (pulled front subframe so needed to align).  It was then that I discovered that I had no reverse.  Tapping the gas resulted in a surge in RPM to 5K (at least the engine sounded better). 

I pushed it off the rack and put it up on stands to run through the gears, and it was then that I discovered that I only had 5th.  Engagement of 5th took some time as well.  I do not have any codes other than when ABS and traction control flips out which is something I normally see when running a car with all four wheels in the air.

So I pushed it back onto the rack, dropped it all out again, and ripped the trans off. 

I had a theory that it's either the torque converter or something in the trans, but sadly I do not work on automatics. 

I have dropped off the trans at a shop that does rebuild automatics, and they just called.  For 120K on it they said it doesn't look too bad, but there's also no smoking gun. 

Regardless I am having them refresh the trans and I will be installing with a new torque converter just in case. 

The reason I am posting this is because in my searches I have not found anyone else that has had these problems so hopefully this will help others.  Update as soon as I have the trans back and everything back together.

SHOdded

Ok, simple fix I hope.  Did you have the trans in neutral before you shut down the engine and started taking things apart.  This is a VERY common mistake when messing with the sensors behind the control panel.  The plunger pin will be out of position if the trans was not put into N first, so you will have to pull it down, then try again.

Good luck with the rebuild!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ticclint

Quote from: SHOdded on May 04, 2018, 05:06:11 PM
Ok, simple fix I hope.  Did you have the trans in neutral before you shut down the engine and started taking things apart.  This is a VERY common mistake when messing with the sensors behind the control panel.  The plunger pin will be out of position if the trans was not put into N first, so you will have to pull it down, then try again.

Good luck with the rebuild!

Yep.  Neutral when I pulled it apart, and made sure the pin for the plunger went into the correct slot when I put the valve body back in.  I made that mistake years ago so I learned my lesson the hard (never to be forgotten) way. 

Confirmed operation of trans range sensor and plunger when on jack stands by checking position of shifter arm to shifter position in the car.  Every position of the shifter correlated to correct position of the shifter actuator on the trans, and every position hit the appropriate spot for the gears I wanted. 

SHOdded

normally i would say check the TRS (TSB on 5th gear start from stop) but you already swapped it out.  The fluid was in good condition though?  There have been cases of burnt clutches with these transmissions, but doesn't feel like the case here.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ticclint

Quote from: SHOdded on May 04, 2018, 06:00:23 PM
normally i would say check the TRS (TSB on 5th gear start from stop) but you already swapped it out.  The fluid was in good condition though?  There have been cases of burnt clutches with these transmissions, but doesn't feel like the case here.

Fluid looked fine.  Not great, but not bad either.  Didn't smell or taste burned (yeah, I'm that old).

When I pulled the valve body I was able to see down into the sump and didn't find any shavings or crud either.

As for burned clutches, at that point I am beyond my element.  I cannot hold up a friction surface and tell you that it looks good or not so off to the guys who do that for a living.

SHOdded

ticclint

Update on the situation.  Came into the shop this weekend and over the course of Saturday and Sunday I got everything back together at the car back on the road.  Seems to be running well, but the shift points right now are a bit odd.  I'll see if the PCM learns the new points, but as of right now it's not flagging any codes.

I did replace the TC with a reman unit and I did have the trans refreshed as long as they had it apart.  Notes from the trans shop who did the refresh:

Significant bushing wear throughout
Some friction wear
Found no significant wear on hard parts
Nothing outstanding to show why it would only have 5th.

Parts that were used:

Overhaul kit
Filter
Bushing kit
3-5-R clutch plate and parts for clutch plate and sun gear shell
Valve body - this was my call.  I opted to have it replaced while they were in there.
Output speed sensor
Input speed sensor

Overall no smoking gun from them on it.  I suspect it was the TC, but at this point there are too many variables changed to point to one thing and say this was it.

So as it stands it's back on the road with refreshed trans, TC, two new turbos, and two new VCT solenoids.  Anybody want to buy a it?

SHOdded

If the solenoid body assembly aka TCM was not replaced, then usually a PCM relearn/KAM reset is sufficient.  If shift issues remain, try having the TCM adaptive tables cleared, and then proceed with the relearn.  these tables can be cleared by the trans shop if equipped, or certainly by the dealer.