• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Livernois Firestorm HPFP Installed

Started by StealBlueSho, May 04, 2018, 01:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Either need beefier motor mounts or better fuel pulse dampeners or both.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TheGreatestSHOman

Hhmmm...a very tempting upgrade. Not sure my wallet would appreciate it. To what end would you deem this upgrade necessary or even highly recommended? That is to say, at what point in making other modifications would you say that picking one up is in someone's best interest?
'15 Tuxedo Black SHO:
LMS Hi-Flo Catted Downpipes, LMS CAI, LMS 160 T-Stat, LMS Plugs, 3-Bar MAP, & LMS 93 Tune

StealBlueSho

Quote from: TheGreatestSHOman on May 09, 2018, 06:54:44 PM
Hhmmm...a very tempting upgrade. Not sure my wallet would appreciate it. To what end would you deem this upgrade necessary or even highly recommended? That is to say, at what point in making other modifications would you say that picking one up is in someone's best interest?

Depends on your goals. I would say that if you are running an aggressive 93 octane 3Bar tune the benefit is added safety and not worrying about low fuel pressure during the winter months. Necessary, probably not as the community has been running 93 octane 3bar tunes for 8 years without an issue.. but as the tuners get more out of 93 3Bar tunes, its a safety net. You tend to see quite a few posts about hesitation etc during the winter.. mostly because of fuel pressure issues from what I have seen..

If you are looking for BIG power and don't want to deal with methanol injection then the pump is absolutely necessary for RELIABLE power all year round in my opinion. Bigger turbos will benefit from more fuel as well so there is that...

Again, there have been guys running heavy mixtures on stock fuel system if tuned correctly for it... just depends on how comfortable you are...

Wish I had a better answer.. if LMS gets back to me on the E-Mix tunes then that would be a huge benefit. Knowing Livernois for their reliability, if the back an E20/E30 tune that upped the power, then thats a huge benefit in my book.

JagerBomb

Just read this and I think this is a great thing. I will add it to my list of to-dos. Maybe one day there will be a transmission upgrade too.
2013 SHO PP - LMS V8 93 Tune, 3 Bar, LMS Catted DP's - SOLD

2015 Explorer Sport - In need of mods.

2010 Jeep SRT8 with a ProCharger and lots of boost!

StealBlueSho

Soooo I have had this installed for some time now... and I have purchased a lot of different stuff between my 2010 and 2016 SHO...

THIS BY FAR  IS THE BEST PURCHASE BESIDES A TUNE I HAVE MADE. That is all.. continue with your regularly scheduled programming...

(Alky Meth coming in a close second) 

AJP turbo

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 02, 2018, 04:24:02 PM
Soooo I have had this installed for some time now... and I have purchased a lot of different stuff between my 2010 and 2016 SHO...

THIS BY FAR  IS THE BEST PURCHASE BESIDES A TUNE I HAVE MADE. That is all.. continue with your regularly scheduled programming...

What kind of desired tip are you running?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on December 02, 2018, 04:41:58 PM

What kind of desired tip are you running?

204kpa is demanded but actual is higher... and GOOD spark up top.. but there is NO drop off in boost at the higher RPMS even with LMS extending the shift out. Very cool how well LMS can hold the boost all the way out...

I guess what I am saying that demanded is almost like a minimum...  this latest tune from LMS is nuts.

AJP turbo

Well the boost has nothing to do with the pump ....as long as the turbos are good ...I think you have an overkill pump for your boost level but it's your money....some people won't have much of a fuel pressure dip at at 200 kpa...as long as you feel good about it that's all that matters...temporary fuel pressure dips do not automatically mean KR. ...you have octane with e30 so 1500psi fuel pressure is fine and the pumps typically run more efficient there

When you say actual tip is higher do you mean tip? That will be higher than map when the throttle is closing to control boost

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 02, 2018, 04:53:29 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on December 02, 2018, 04:41:58 PM

I guess what I am saying that demanded is almost like a minimum...  this latest tune from LMS is nuts.

Well you need to see how nuts it really is and get that beast to a dyno! I love LMS but the dyno numbers always seem to be modest

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Hmm I will post some logs later... unfortunately all the AWD dynos are unavailable in NoVA until sometime next year. Moore's Automotive in Fairfax is broken (I called) and Ptuning in Manassas, VA stopped offering dyno pulls due to the large tuning demand...

Anyone else knows a linked AWD dyno within a couple hours drive let me know...

But the track numbers will tell the whole story...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on December 02, 2018, 05:06:02 PM
Well the boost has nothing to do with the pump ....as long as the turbos are good ...I think you have an overkill pump for your boost level but it's your money....some people won't have much of a fuel pressure dip at at 200 kpa...as long as you feel good about it that's all that matters...temporary fuel pressure dips do not automatically mean KR. ...you have octane with e30 so 1500psi fuel pressure is fine and the pumps typically run more efficient there

When you say actual tip is higher do you mean tip? That will be higher than map when the throttle is closing to control boost

You asked about the desired TP... however.. yes.. boost has a lot to do with the pump.. boost spikes particularly and the higher the demanded generally the bigger the spikes.. its well known that higher boost causes pressure dips.. unless you run at a leaner lambda requiring less from the fuel system.  More load = less pressure on the stock pump.. which is why a bigger HPFP has been requested for years...

I have had pressure drop well below 1000psi with no knock.. but properly atomizing the fuel at higher loads helps in all ways. Cooling the cylinder, helping with knock, and staving off lean conditions, etc...

Curious that pumps run more efficiently at 1500psi? Even Matt Robinson suggests that 2900psi is way better...

bpd1151

WOW BJ! Seems like you're quite excited about this newest tune release from LMS.

That says a lot given you've worked with quite a few tuners, and have been objective in your reviews of each/all of them.

So in other words, you're basically saying that this latest tune offering from LMS is perfect in every possible way, and that there are parameters LMS has tweaked that other tuning competitors haven't quite figured out yet?

Is that a fair question?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

I'm sorry I need clarification on what a fuel pump has to do with setting boost targets..they are completely independent

If you look at the volumetric efficiency tables of the high pressure fuel pumps data you can see this...it's kind of like turbos...we can deliver more fuel at 3000psi but not as efficiently.

Big boost spikes have more to do with running baby turbos at high wastegate duty when an upshift happens

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

It's all good I just don't want people to think you need the pump to run E30 at that boost....no fuel pressure dips are great but I haven't seen any adverse effects of minor dips...you are not taking into account the myriad of other safety controls the car will utilize to keep it safe

Even on wreckless tunes that we know are out there there have been so few failures

Boost taper is generally a result from bad turbos especially if it's happening in 3rd gear

Mike you shouldn't read too much into v2 spark...it depends on how the spark limits are set...if you are looking to make them match completely that is easy...but that's not a goal that will really do anything for you...if you are not on a particular spark limit then they are NOT supposed to match

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 02, 2018, 06:20:13 PM
WOW BJ! Seems like you're quite excited about this newest tune release from LMS.

That says a lot given you've worked with quite a few tuners, and have been objective in your reviews of each/all of them.

So in other words, you're basically saying that this latest tune offering from LMS is perfect in every possible way, and that there are parameters LMS has tweaked that other tuning competitors haven't quite figured out yet?

Is that a fair question?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, I am VERY excited about this latest tune from LMS. Cody messaged me saying him, Anthony, and their "head tuner" stayed late to put this together for me. And the results in the datalog as well as the seat of the pants feel are really really impressive.

Yes, I have bounced around on the tuning front.. Unleashed, AJPTurbo, BCB, Gearhead, and Livernois between my 2010 and 2016 SHO. I have ALWAYS been impressed with how SMOOTH the LMS tune runs and how clean the datalogs look. I may have been at points underwhelmed with the load I see in the datalogs but have never been disappointed in the ET with LMS but more importantly the consistency in their ET/MPH. Glory runs will get respect from a lot... but dialing in and running a low time consistently wins respect AND money.

I will post logs later but a few examples of things that really stand out are..

1: Timing advance on LMS is SMOOTH... I have YET to see another tuner get spark v2 to follow spark.. silky smooth.. people who datalog know what I am talking about..

2: Boost.. when LMS commands boost its not for the mid range of RPMS.. they command it all the way through redline which is impressive. A tuner may say they command 15psi but they taper off hard at the topend.. LMS holds its all the way to shift..

3: cam positioning..if you look at the exhaust and intake cam position it is very different than any other tune.

Based on my various track visits... and I have been talking to BamSHO, BPD1151, and various others.. I am still baffled at how a tune that demands much less load runs just as fast as tune that call for 3-4 psi and more timing(much more load).. I have posted on the forums asking about it...

Needless to say again... Livernois Engineering has shown over and over again through the various tuners that they are able to get the most of this platform. I ran the same times with a tune that pushed 1.65 average load through third gear from one tuner as a tune from LMS that only pushed 1.52 average through third gear...

And I am not just kissing their booty as anyone can attest.. I am the first one to call them out on when I believe they are wrong or misguiding, and with data not just opinion.  I try to be impartial in all reviews as it has shown to be valuable to new people joining the forums (You're welcome Brad for the business :-P ).

All that being said.. THIS LATEST E30 TUNE FROM LME IS THE BEST TUNE I HAVE RECIEVED.