• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Livernois Firestorm HPFP Installed

Started by StealBlueSho, May 04, 2018, 01:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Tricky question... LMS won't tune past the limits the drive train which they feel is about 450awhp/450awtq on a stock block. So there are guys with a similar setup that I have that are dyno tuned to those numbers.

Of course it all depends on how good the fuel is in your area as well. Generally these cars are fuel pressure limited and not knock limited if you live where the fuel is good like myself.

With this pump it's becomes reversed right? It's now knock limited as opposed to fuel limited...

So that leaves Ethanol mixes or meth injection to raise the octane levels...

Matt Robinson at GearHead has an xdi-35 pump and is running E30 to produce 500/500 if I recall... but E mixing adds more complexity...

It's not a straight forward question I suppose...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macgyver

Rodger that.

I am tuning with Brad shortly so That is why I am curious.

I live where the fuel is good. 93 Sunoco. E85 is abundant and it is regularly tested by the "Race" guys.

StealBlueSho

Cleaned up the install a little bit. I trimmed back more of the tape on the harness to give me some more slack on the HPFP electrical plug. This allowed me to add a proper sheath on the wiring AND move it off the HPFP. I noticed that the pump gets super hot and was starting to melt the tape I had wrapped around the exposed wires.

Brucelinc

Looks good. Spendy but will add a safety margin as well as allow more aggressive mods down the road if you so choose.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Brucelinc on May 05, 2018, 09:35:11 AM
Looks good. Spendy but will add a safety margin as well as allow more aggressive mods down the road if you so choose.

Yes, it was a good chunk of change, but fuel pressure will not be a concern in the future. Being as I really want something is set and forget, this fits the bill. I really like methanol injection.. but there is always that bug in the back of your mind that if the pump fails.. or you run out of meth when your not close to some where that has it.. etc etc etc...

This will also support bigger turbos as well :-)

StealBlueSho

So I suspected there was a major change to the tune as it took forever for the tuner to update my ECU... so I double checked my strategy and SWPN on the ECU... found this to be humorous...

OLD Strategy: KHDR6KJ
New Strategy: KHDRLME

OLD SWPN: GG1A-14C204-APE
New SWPN: GG1A-14C204-LME

Looks like Livernois had to develope a whole new strategy and SWPN to properly tune the HPFP... cute that they tagged it "LME"....

In anyevent, there is most certainly a change in how the motor sounds.. specifically from 2.5K to 4K RPMs its much more throaty... even compared to the standard V11 tune... makes me wonder how much they changed...

StealBlueSho

I really think that if LME is developing their own strategies and firmware for the ECU... that kinda ends the debate on if they have more access into these ECU's.... just thinking...

AJP turbo

Quote from: BJSHO on May 05, 2018, 06:10:28 PM
I really think that if LME is developing their own strategies and firmware for the ECU... that kinda ends the debate on if they have more access into these ECU's.... just thinking...

Hardly ...it may have just been the easier thing to do...but who will ever know
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on May 05, 2018, 06:20:48 PM

Can it be done with the SCT software? I have that question into Matt as well... simply curious.

AJP turbo

Quote from: BJSHO on May 05, 2018, 06:22:49 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on May 05, 2018, 06:20:48 PM

Can it be done with the SCT software? I have that question into Matt as well... simply curious.

Changing the strategy and fuel pump ? Yes, and I don't see why not
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

So I noticed after installing the new pump and new tune that the engine really sounded aggressive between 2500 RPMs and 4000 RPMs. This caused a bit of vibration through the cabin... very small but noticeable mainly through the accel pedal. Thinking I had dorked something up I went ahead today and pulled the pump and put it back to stock. Vibration and aggressive tone went away in stock form.

I am gonna ping LMS but I'm sure it's probably normal as most people wouldn't notice it...

Will follow back..

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: StealBlueSho on May 04, 2018, 01:12:12 PM
So I have been waiting to get my hands on one of these for QUITE some time. On my 2010 I ended up going with the Alky Kit to resolve fuel pressure issues since the HPFP upgrades were not available. However, on my virgin 2016 I decided to pull the trigger. 

A BIG shout out to Cody over at LMS for answering my questions, putting up with my canceling, then calling back to place the order, and the 5 different tune revisions I asked for. Then for answering a couple quick questions for the installation.

Installation was super easy, if you follow my how to on the HPFP replacement, its pretty much spot on... a couple changes...

1: You will need to bend the high pressure fuel line SLIGHTLY up so it will line up with the new pump
2: The electrical plug needs to be unbound from the taped up wiring harness. This will include cutting back the tape to free up the plug so it can reach the new pump.

Those are the ONLY two differences between putting in a stock pump and the Firestorm pump. Silly easy..

Initial datalogging shows MUCH more stable fuel pressure, fuel pressure is holding desired where as before it was dropping well below 1000psi which is downright dangerous if sustain, which is was.  The car drives really realy well.. smooth, pulls through the RPM range smooth.. very happy with this purchase and support from LMS.

Glad you were happy with our product and everythings running smoothly and install was very easy for you, this was our goal! Keep us updated!

derfdog15

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on May 09, 2018, 10:17:32 AM
Glad you were happy with our product and everythings running smoothly and install was very easy for you, this was our goal! Keep us updated!

You should probably read the last post...since he encountered an issue with vibration/harshness
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

StealBlueSho

Quote from: derfdog15 on May 09, 2018, 12:53:47 PM
Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on May 09, 2018, 10:17:32 AM

You should probably read the last post...since he encountered an issue with vibration/harshness

I would say "harshness" is a stretch.. I did some more testing on it. I believe its due to them adjusting the strategy to compensate for the HPFP. The engine sounds aggressive during that RPM range and you can feel it through the pedal a bit. All the vitals are good..

Imagine going from stock to an aggressive tune, the engine sounds different, pulses differently and you can generally "feel" the difference in how the motor vibrates under load. Its very similar to that.

After going back to stock and then back to the HPFP setup, I am not worried about it.

StinkinLinkin13

I have the same "issue" with my V11 (FP command adjusted higher) tune... Feels like exhaust vibrations in the body (or even bad motor mounts even tho they are in fact good). Mostly at WOT or heavy acceleration... The car has been running fine for a couple of months now so I think it's just a "side effect" much like the change in the exhaust tone..
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -