• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Anyone wrap their ground effects?

Started by GIGANTORE, January 11, 2018, 05:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GIGANTORE

The rubber used to make the lower trim doesn't hold paint well.  So I am thinking about wrapping that trim in either a gloss black or something that is close to my paint color. This might be a good way around not being able to paint that plastic. Has anyone done this or seen it done?

bpd1151

Too textured/dimpled for the vinyl to adhere well, and/or with any expectation of durability long term.

Paint holds, but it requires a LOT of labor intensive, repetitive sanding/blocking to achieve a paintable/adherable surface.

Invest in the painting and then apply paint protection film (such as 3M Clear Bra) over it and you'll be happy for many years to come.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GIGANTORE

You really can't (shouldn't) paint over that plastic. The plastic has oil in. I've seen several attempts to paint that type of plastic that have failed over time. And I don't think the texture of the plastic will be a problem. If it did show through the film, I can add a layer of clear.

SilvererSHO

Mine seems to be holding up well so far.  I bought it that way and don't know how long it's been on there though.  I used to be a moldmaker and we designed molds for and molded PC/ABS parts that were textured by painting them.  The parts were A-1/A-2 finish though before painting.  They were cab parts for tractors and combines so a pretty harsh environment.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

bpd1151

Quote from: GIGANTORE on January 11, 2018, 08:08:47 PM
You really can't (shouldn't) paint over that plastic. The plastic has oil in. I've seen several attempts to paint that type of plastic that have failed over time.

6yrs thus far for mine having been painted, and they still look as good as they did since day 1.

I know of 2 others who've followed the same path as I did, and have expressed similar experiences to date.

So "can't" or "shouldn't" is a subjective term.

I used to work in the sign industry before my current profession and one aspect of our product offerings entailed vehicle wraps. The areas you are inquiring about, being wrapped in/with vinyl, will not last as well as paint.

Thus my suggestion. Your car. Do what you want. Was just trying to save you a headache.

J-Will

I was about to pull the trigger on getting mine painted. But then Adams Polishes came out with a ceramic coating for trim. This summer I plan on going that route.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

GIGANTORE

Quote from: bpd1151 on January 11, 2018, 11:12:21 PM

Quote from: GIGANTORE on January 11, 2018, 08:08:47 PM
You really can't (shouldn't) paint over that plastic. The plastic has oil in. I've seen several attempts to paint that type of plastic that have failed over time.

6yrs thus far for mine having been painted, and they still look as good as they did since day 1.

I know of 2 others who've followed the same path as I did, and have expressed similar experiences to date.

So "can't" or "shouldn't" is a subjective term.

I used to work in the sign industry before my current profession and one aspect of our product offerings entailed vehicle wraps. The areas you are inquiring about, being wrapped in/with vinyl, will not last as well as paint.

Thus my suggestion. Your car. Do what you want. Was just trying to save you a headache.

Just speaking from my experience doing paint and body work. It's good to hear that you've never had any issues. Thanks for the input.

SilvererSHO

Quote from: SilvererSHO on January 11, 2018, 09:25:47 PM
Mine seems to be holding up well so far.  I bought it that way and don't know how long it's been on there though.  I used to be a moldmaker and we designed molds for and molded PC/ABS parts that were textured by painting them.  The parts were A-1/A-2 finish though before painting.  They were cab parts for tractors and combines so a pretty harsh environment.

Well, we had a tough winter up here in this frozen wasteland.  It may be the first winter this car has seen.  Lots of sand and gravel on the roads this winter.  Most of what you see on the factory painted piece is bugs and road grime but there are a few small rock chips too, just like the front of my hood and fenders.  The lower painted plastic took a beating however.  The side skirts on the car are fine with the exception of the few areas of painted plastic that face directly forward.  I have the same thing going on there.

All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.