• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Catalytic converter heat shield

Started by glock-coma, April 30, 2018, 01:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glock-coma

I had to remove right (firewall) cat durning my PTU replacement and the metal heat shielding basically disintegrated as I was snaking it out.
Is there any viable replacement besides wrapping it in exhaust wrap? I've been reading it's not good to encapsulate the cat as it will destroy itself from the inside out.
I've found a couple universal heat shields but lots of cutting and bending would be required due to the tight space.
I don't really want to deal with the rattles that would probably follow.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

StealBlueSho

Quote from: glock-coma on April 30, 2018, 01:13:02 PM
I had to remove right (firewall) cat durning my PTU replacement and the metal heat shielding basically disintegrated as I was snaking it out.
Is there any viable replacement besides wrapping it in exhaust wrap? I've been reading it's not good to encapsulate the cat as it will destroy itself from the inside out.
I've found a couple universal heat shields but lots of cutting and bending would be required due to the tight space.

I have two spare cats... one for each bank.. not sure if I can remove the heat shielding or not? I will have to check... otherwise if you want to pay the shipping I can mail them to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

46Kish maybe less miles on them...off my 2010 SHO. Doesn't look like I can remove the heat shielding without damaging it. Those metal bands are tight.

glock-coma

Quote from: BJSHO on April 30, 2018, 01:15:13 PM

I have two spare cats... one for each bank.. not sure if I can remove the heat shielding or not? I will have to check... otherwise if you want to pay the shipping I can mail them to you.

That's very generous of you. The heat shield is just held on with metal "zip tie" type straps.
Fortunately I wouldn't need the entire cat, I only have 56k on these.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: glock-coma on April 30, 2018, 01:27:58 PM
Quote from: BJSHO on April 30, 2018, 01:15:13 PM

That's very generous of you. The heat shield is just held on with metal "zip tie" type straps.
Fortunately I wouldn't need the entire cat, I only have 56k on these.

I can try to take it off... no sweat of my back... which one is it... I can't remember which one is bank one...

glock-coma

StealBlueSho

If you want them let me know... they weigh nothing... I'll even cover shipping :-)

Unfortunately at the bottom of the cat, they tack welded a small clamp that I couldn't get off, so I cut around it.. they are small cut outs, but I would recommend putting another metal zip tie towards the bottom.

Gjkrisa

Those look like they are held down with metal banding that we use a wirrly bird to tighten down.
If you can't find anyone that does industrial insulation you probably could find some steel wire to wrap around

Oddly found videos both for insulating I have never used tiewire for insulation but for tieing down toeboards to scaffolding

https://youtu.be/8q3B85GQKns
https://youtu.be/57BgjJpqaa0

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

glock-coma

Quote from: BJSHO on April 30, 2018, 01:47:44 PM

If you want them let me know... they weigh nothing... I'll even cover shipping :-)

Unfortunately at the bottom of the cat, they tack welded a small clamp that I couldn't get off, so I cut around it.. they are small cut outs, but I would recommend putting another metal zip tie towards the bottom.

Wow that was quick!! Those are in really good shape I'll definitely takem'.
I really appreciate it. I don't really expect you to cover shipping and can send funds however you like.

I really appreciate the effort

StealBlueSho

Quote from: glock-coma on April 30, 2018, 02:12:00 PM
Quote from: BJSHO on April 30, 2018, 01:47:44 PM

Wow that was quick!! Those are in really good shape I'll definitely takem'.
I really appreciate it. I don't really expect you to cover shipping and can send funds however you like.

I really appreciate the effort

No worries, always happy to help out! I will PM you.

StealBlueSho

Shipped... lots of bubble wrap... lol

Should be there Wednesday the 2nd.

glock-coma

Big shout out to BJSHO for donating his cat heat shields to me.

Got them installed today, was able to Frankenstein his and what was left of mine.

I'll install cat and wrapped OE downpipes tomorrow.

Im also going to attempt to install some radiant heat barrier on the PTU itself.
The adhesive on this stuff is crazy strong.
Maybe do the air box also if I have enough left.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: glock-coma on May 02, 2018, 08:12:50 PM
Big shout out to BJSHO for donating his cat heat shields to me.

Got them installed today, was able to Frankenstein his and what was left of mine.

I'll install cat and wrapped OE downpipes tomorrow.

Im also going to attempt to install some radiant heat barrier on the PTU itself.
The adhesive on this stuff is crazy strong.
Maybe do the air box also if I have enough left.

Glad they worked! Always happy to help! Probably should change my name back to StealBlueSho..

How much of a b*tch were those steel bands to put on?

glock-coma

Bands were not difficult.
I cut the extra off and use needle nose pliers to twist them under towards the clamp. It works pretty well.
I have a metric sh*t ton of them if anyone needs some. I ordered a 100 pack of the 11" ones from amazon for $10.

StealBlueSho

Where did you get the adhesive wrap? I am thinking about doing the same for my airaid... the heat soak is real... forgot how bad it is without meth to knock it down...