• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Modding a New Car.

Started by 5ohSHO, May 05, 2018, 04:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5ohSHO

How long or how many miles did most people on here wait before adding mods to a new SHO? As in meth, catless down pipes, dyno tune, etc. Most of the info I could find says about 1k miles for a break-in period, but the track opens soon and I've got a pile of parts sitting on the floor of my garage.

bpd1151

My mods began at day 3 of ownership and a crisp 301 miles on the odometer.

Haven't looked back ever since. LOL

5ohSHO

FoMoCoSHO

Mods? I'd say have at it, just don't change the oil before 4K.

When I bought the 15 I tried to have it changed at 300 miles or something silly.

Tech noticed the oil smelled like the special oil that comes in the Shelby.

Call to the hotline and sure enough, special break in oil they strongly recommended I left in till 4K minimum.

SHOdded

And pray tell, what does the special Shelby oil smell like?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

5ohSHO

Didn't know that about the oil. I'm glad you said something! Now to finish reverting the PI back to stock so I can get my car on Monday.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on May 06, 2018, 06:17:39 AM
And pray tell, what does the special Shelby oil smell like?
Didn't ask, too annoyed that they left that part out of the OM. Then the Mrs told me they probably don't put it in there because "normal people" don't change their oil within the first week of buying a new car. Touche'.

But apparently there is a "unique odor".

Brucelinc

I think I would need a bit more convincing before I will believe this break in oil business.    Is there a part number for this stuff?

hawkeye93

I don't know what it comes with from the factory, but I know that when installing a new cam, it's important to break it with with special break-in oil that has generous amounts of ZDDP.  Or you can use a ZDDP additive with regular motor oil.  I do have a case of PennGrade 1 for my Mustang that has extra zinc & phosphorus.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

lamrith

Quote from: Brucelinc on May 06, 2018, 11:26:28 AM
I think I would need a bit more convincing before I will believe this break in oil business.    Is there a part number for this stuff?
There may not be if Ford uses it only in assembly and it is not made available outside of the factory?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: lamrith on May 06, 2018, 12:29:00 PM
There may not be if Ford uses it only in assembly and it is not made available outside of the factory?
I asked BND Brian about it and that's pretty much what he said.

IIRC he mentioned that Ford has an exotic/expensive Group V oil they use on certain break in applications. In my mind this makes sense for something like a Shelby, not so much for a mass produced 3.5 transverse.

He also suggested I leave it so I figured if the guy selling me oil thinks its a good idea to wait, it probably is.

lamrith

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 06, 2018, 12:45:00 PM
Quote from: lamrith on May 06, 2018, 12:29:00 PM
I asked BND Brian about it and that's pretty much what he said.

IIRC he mentioned that Ford has an exotic/expensive Group V oil they use on certain break in applications. In my mind this makes sense for something like a Shelby, not so much for a mass produced 3.5 transverse.

He also suggested I leave it so I figured if the guy selling me oil thinks its a good idea to wait, it probably is.
It may be mass produced but the Eco is a bit unique (obviously with how many of us are rabid groupies) with the twin turbo design that they may figure it is worth the added insurance during breakin?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Brucelinc

With all the twin turbo engines Ford builds, (F150, Lincolns, Explorers, Edges, etc.) this mystery oil has been a well kept secret....if this is true.   I have no doubt that some parts like maybe cams are coated with an assembly lube when installed but I would be surprised if the oil is anything other than Motorcraft syn blend. 

SilvererSHO

Quote from: hawkeye93 on May 06, 2018, 12:05:47 PM
I don't know what it comes with from the factory, but I know that when installing a new cam, it's important to break it with with special break-in oil that has generous amounts of ZDDP.  Or you can use a ZDDP additive with regular motor oil.  I do have a case of PennGrade 1 for my Mustang that has extra zinc & phosphorus.

That's generally only for flat tappet cams though.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.