• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS Firestorm HPFP

Started by StealBlueSho, April 27, 2018, 10:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Ok... I put in the order for the LMS HPFP... then doing some reading and talking to a couple guys(one of which I trust a lot)told me I should cancel the order because LMS is having a hard time getting the tune correct, and there are a couple guys with them that are having problems....

So I called Livernois up to ask them, and they responded there have been a couple revisions to the pump, but have installed quite a few recently without any problems...

So I have a couple questions to the form members...

A: Is there anyone on this forum who is running the LMS HPFP? If so, are you running the remote tune?
B: Has anyone else heard negative things about this pump/tune combo from LMS?

I don't mind spending good money on a good setup, and to be quite frank, I was surprised to hear that there were issues with LMS stuff. They generally are pretty spot on and somewhat conservative. But if they are pushing a dorked setup, then I want no part in it.

Any input would be appreciated!

StinkinLinkin13

I've been on the fence about the Firestorm HPFP as well. Its more expensive than all my mods to date combined and really don't see any convincing gains/benefits from using it unless you're going to do some full race build. Most seem to do just fine with the stock hpfp. I need some serious convincing... Plus my mpg is already crap enough can't imagine it getting even worse.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

bamsho

The only one I know is Rich.   He was going full E85 so his situation is different.   As for revisions, doesn't surprise me.  You can test all you want, sometimes in the real world it's different.   Least they took care of the issues.  Remember too, these things have been only out for just over a year too.  May get one later in the year, see how good it works witj my meth setup.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

ZSHO

Quote from: bamsho on April 28, 2018, 07:02:32 AM
The only one I know is Rich.   He was going full E85 so his situation is different.   As for revisions, doesn't surprise me.  You can test all you want, sometimes in the real world it's different.   Least they took care of the issues.  Remember too, these things have been only out for just over a year too.  May get one later in the year, see how good it works witj my meth setup.
Believe me there is another one!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on April 28, 2018, 07:17:32 AM
Believe me there is another one!  Z

Did you get it added Z during your direct port install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZSHO

If you're going to spend that kind of $$$$ take your time and plan accordingly along with Dyno tune from LMS IMHO!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on April 28, 2018, 07:50:29 AM
If you're going to spend that kind of $$$$ take your time and plan accordingly along with Dyno tune from LMS IMHO!  Z

If they lived closer, for sure!

StealBlueSho

I'm not sure the benefits are there if you are already running meth. On my 2010 I talked to them extensively about combining the two modifications. The sum of the conversation with Dave and others over there basically ended with.... If you already have meth, then the HPFP isn't going make a difference other than peace of mind in the event there is an issue with the meth. The meth setup supplements the fueling well enough that you don't need any additional fuel. For instance, look at Mike K's SHO.... fully built with the stock HPFP and meth.

I see the HPFP as an alternative to using meth and/or you want to blend E85. For me personally it's about safety and ease of use. The meth kit from LMS is about $900 plus a few hours of install time. Then you are also managing two types of fuel. So there is a slight amount of overhead with meth. But the benefits are phenomenal.

Forgoing the meth and just picking up the HPFP allows you to just use 93 octane all year round with their most aggressive tune for pump gas without worrying about fuel pressure issues. Just fill and go. Now your not getting to cooling and octane jump like you would with the meth setup. And it's enough fuel to support ATPs as well on pump all year round. Additionally for me, I can swap the pumps, 3BAR, CAI, and tune in under 30 minutes so I can drop my car off for warranty work. With Meth that's a lot more complicated...

At the end of the day it's all about goals... for now I want something stupid simple that gets me into the solid mid 12's that's safe all year round.

I was running mid 12's on my previous rig with the LMS 4X Race tune without meth. Only different thus far is DP's and Exhaust... but the V11 tune pushes almost 2psi more on average of boost.  But the V11 tune is too aggressive for all year round use... at my elevation of damn near sea level I am seeing uncomfortable fuel pressure drops in 60F temps (below 1000psi).

In any event that's my rant... I just get concerned hearing LMS is having problems tuning for a 1600 dollar part combined with what I would say is an unsafe V11 tune.

bpd1151

Well stated there BJ.

And I think $1,600 is for their LOWER pump offering.

The "Severe" one is even more, $2,300...??

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on April 28, 2018, 10:22:26 AM
Well stated there BJ.

And I think $1,600 is for their LOWER pump offering.

The "Severe" one is even more, $2,300...??

You are correct

ZSHO

StealBlueSho

In any event... given LMS track record and general safety, I went ahead and finalized the order today. I should have the pump in hand by end of next week along with updated tunes.

I believe this setup will give me a super safe configuration that will allow me to run their most aggressive 93 pump tunes all year round without having to worry about much.

Should be a solid mid 12 second car on a good day at the tracks by me.

I will add an addendum to my "how to" on the HPFP installation. The only difference will be I will need to place the diaper under the LP feed line at the HPFP instead of the bleeder that's on the 2010. Additionally you need to slightly bend the line the get it to line up with the feed connection on the newer pumps.

Thanks everyone for the info!

lamrith

Quote from: BJSHO on April 28, 2018, 09:20:22 AM

I'm not sure the benefits are there if you are already running meth. On my 2010 I talked to them extensively about combining the two modifications. The sum of the conversation with Dave and others over there basically ended with.... If you already have meth, then the HPFP isn't going make a difference other than peace of mind in the event there is an issue with the meth. The meth setup supplements the fueling well enough that you don't need any additional fuel. For instance, look at Mike K's SHO.... fully built with the stock HPFP and meth.

I see the HPFP as an alternative to using meth and/or you want to blend E85. For me personally it's about safety and ease of use. The meth kit from LMS is about $900 plus a few hours of install time. Then you are also managing two types of fuel. So there is a slight amount of overhead with meth. But the benefits are phenomenal.

Forgoing the meth and just picking up the HPFP allows you to just use 93 octane all year round with their most aggressive tune for pump gas without worrying about fuel pressure issues. Just fill and go. Now your not getting to cooling and octane jump like you would with the meth setup. And it's enough fuel to support ATPs as well on pump all year round. Additionally for me, I can swap the pumps, 3BAR, CAI, and tune in under 30 minutes so I can drop my car off for warranty work. With Meth that's a lot more complicated...

At the end of the day it's all about goals... for now I want something stupid simple that gets me into the solid mid 12's that's safe all year round.

I was running mid 12's on my previous rig with the LMS 4X Race tune without meth. Only different thus far is DP's and Exhaust... but the V11 tune pushes almost 2psi more on average of boost.  But the V11 tune is too aggressive for all year round use... at my elevation of damn near sea level I am seeing uncomfortable fuel pressure drops in 60F temps (below 1000psi).

In any event that's my rant... I just get concerned hearing LMS is having problems tuning for a 1600 dollar part combined with what I would say is an unsafe V11 tune.

Interesting you are seeing such low FP numbers.  I am running version6 of a 92octane AJP tune and do not think we ever saw under 1400 and I was testing in cold weather (50*f) and crap winter fuel intentionally since we see it for such a long period of time in winter.  That way I knew I was nice and safe.  Just shows how while these cars a true monsters tuned, each one is very different when custom tuning.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: BJSHO on April 28, 2018, 12:38:21 PM
In any event... given LMS track record and general safety, I went ahead and finalized the order today. I should have the pump in hand by end of next week along with updated tunes.

I believe this setup will give me a super safe configuration that will allow me to run their most aggressive 93 pump tunes all year round without having to worry about much.

Should be a solid mid 12 second car on a good day at the tracks by me.

I will add an addendum to my "how to" on the HPFP installation. The only difference will be I will need to place the diaper under the LP feed line at the HPFP instead of the bleeder that's on the 2010. Additionally you need to slightly bend the line the get it to line up with the feed connection on the newer pumps.

Thanks everyone for the info!

Glad you decided to go with our HPFP, From there o it should be smooth sailing for your vehicles performance and no longer have that issue anymore!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: lamrith on April 28, 2018, 01:33:48 PM
Quote from: BJSHO on April 28, 2018, 09:20:22 AM

Interesting you are seeing such low FP numbers.  I am running version6 of a 92octane AJP tune and do not think we ever saw under 1400 and I was testing in cold weather (50*f) and crap winter fuel intentionally since we see it for such a long period of time in winter.  That way I knew I was nice and safe.  Just shows how while these cars a true monsters tuned, each one is very different when custom tuning.

True, but Brad tunes a bit different. He runs .80 lambda while LMS runs quite a bit richer which directly impacts fuel rail pressure.

Additionally the V11 tune is commanding and holding 14psi all the way through 6200 RPMs and 23 degrees of spark... that is A LOT for 93 pump... combine that with the richer AFRs and yea... fuel pressure issues are gonna happen when it's cold.