• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Aluminum end tank OEM style intercooler

Started by 2013blksho, April 27, 2018, 07:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2013blksho

I am having the body shop install an all aluminum intercooler due to cracking the stock cooler after hitting my 3rd racoon.   my question is if anyone has any experience with this installed at all?  it was a wash vs oem  cooler with plastic ends.  thanks for any info.

2013blksho

picked up my car today and it seemed to have a more distinctive turbo whistle to the exhaust note on start up.  once warmed up it felt to pull stronger than usual through rev range.  inlet side seems more open and free flowing.  ill try and get some pics.

Macgyver

So its not bigger than oem just all metal ?

2013blksho

not a large size difference if any, with what it sounds like now and the pull i would be willing to bet it has less pressure drop. i plan on logging so pulls and having brad check then out if he's willing.

Agentlongwood

Is the all metal intercooler bar-and-plate?  Or the same tube/fin construction as the original piece?
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

2013blksho

from what i see it is a tube fin but the difference is the elbows on the intake side seem to be  more direct and longer sweep vs sharp and short.  in my world as a HVAC design engineer it is not alway about cam but pressure drop to move the duty point of flow to become more efficent. the same reason why bigger turbos produce same power at lower boost is due to efficiency of over coming pressure drop full circuit.  it has been proven that the stock cooler is good for decent power but i figured if i can make stock turbos more efficent due to lower pressure drop that would allow quicker spool and wide the power just a little.  not mind blowing by any means but it's always fun to improve these longer sleepers.  this is also coming from a guy that daily drives 120 miles and has 153k on the big girl.  i have a mixed E tune from brad that had about 70k mile on it so it has been fun tinkering non the less.  i have an email to cooler manufacture about style and will let you know what i find out. i will get pics on lunch.

lamrith

One question is was this drop in, or did it take a bunch of fab/changes to the car for the install. 
Second to that is are you seeing lower IAT temps as well? 
Then the big question, who makes it and where do people get one?

You opened a can of worms now!
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

irondoor19

We know from Past Effort that the Stack design is A PITA., and any
replacement involves a Bunch of effort (even stock Replacement) SOO

to Start: part number or "WHERE DID you Source" that intercooler....
Second: How much did it cost for the install....?

Hate that you are Just teasing us right now... :angry1:
BUT looking forward to more info ;D
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

2013blksho

www.radiatorexpress.com/product.asp?part_id=222527&aaia_id=1445050&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4v_qtcHk2gIVT7jACh03xw0jEAQYGiABEgKTOfD_BwE#tabs
is one site that has it and i know summit lists it.  I'm not 100% sure where dealer bought it from but they said cost was a wash vs stock part otherwise insurance would pay for it.  as for install because it is fully welded the install would be a bit tricky if trying to slide in. my entire front end was replaced and so the core support was out and ac condensor made it easier im sure.   if you Google taurus sho intercooler it will come up right away.  that is where the pic above is from and is the same that was installed.   as for performance stand point im still watching and havent done any pulls to record data but will in near future. 

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

2013blksho

z that is the one.  this is all I could get without take to much apart.  fits without mods. with intake side not jointed it could be a bit challenging but i didnt install , dealer said  it wasn't bad at all.  now for the top radiator clamp that they didn't release causing my coolant to wash the entire engine that seemed to be a bit of a challenge for them!!!

ZSHO

Quote from: 2013blksho on May 01, 2018, 10:48:19 PM
z that is the one.  this is all I could get without take to much apart.  fits without mods. with intake side not jointed it could be a bit challenging but i didnt install , dealer said  it wasn't bad at all.  now for the top radiator clamp that they didn't release causing my coolant to wash the entire engine that seemed to be a bit of a challenge for them!!!
I'm liking the T-bolts clamps.  :thumb: 
Btw noticed a bit of oil by the CAC! Best of luck.  Z

I also added some T-Bolts clamps to the mix.  Z  ;)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

2013blksho

ya i need to order more t clamps to finish the job. catch can next on the list for sure. 153k little bit of were. big problem and why you see oil is tech doesnt know how to tighten a damn clamp!!!

ShoNuff757

I'm strongly considering this purchase. Keep us in the loop on whether or not it made a difference in power output.

Thanks!
2011 SHO non-PP. Tuned by AJP Turbo.

"Remember: No matter where you go...there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai

2013blksho

I'm going to get some longs on the way home. but i still have not taken the time to learn how to read them but that is what brad is for! ( thanks brad)