• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Is my turbo(s) Bad?

Started by 2010Limited, April 23, 2018, 09:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2010Limited

Hello, I'm fairly new here and have a 2010 Limited ecoboost. When I got it in September of last year the engine and both turbos had been replaced at about 80K and it now has 150K. It started smoking a little, then I heard some squaling from the engine area, and now it smokes ALOT.  The front turbo has oil leaking from it, but I can't tell if its just the drain tube or leaking from somewhere else. The rear doesn't appear to be leaking.

My question is, is there any way to tell the turbo has failed without taking it off? Can I pull the intake hose and feel for shaft play? It doesn't look terribly hard to remove but I don't want to pull it is its unnecessary.

I appreciate the help in advance

SHOdded

A visual inspection is going to be the best way to figure out if the turbo is involved.  Might be a bad bearing, might even be the wheel if any grinding was heard.  Pooling oil at the turbo is generally an indicator of its endoflife.

With any luck it is a feed line, but if the turbo is making a sound, replacing just the feed line would be delaying the inevitable.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

b4black

Pull the compressor outlet hose off and look for oil.  When the seals go bad, they blow oil through the outlet, through the intercoooler and into the engine.

AJP turbo

I'd check the PCV system as well and the separator on top of the valve cover...Could be full of oil.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

2010Limited

I appreciate the tips. I'm hoping to dig into this this week. I changed the PCV valve but did not check the separator. To do that do I need to pull the valve cover?

SHOdded

No, it is held on by 2 fasteners I believe.  Comes right off.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

2010Limited

YOu are correct, the separator is just held on with 3 bolts. Its off and I had condensation in there and it looks like its packed with a creamy mixture of oil and water crap. Can this thing me cleaned out or flushed?

SHOdded

you can try, but it is better to replace it entirely.  not expensive.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: 2010Limited on April 24, 2018, 10:32:43 AM
YOu are correct, the separator is just held on with 3 bolts. Its off and I had condensation in there and it looks like its packed with a creamy mixture of oil and water crap. Can this thing me cleaned out or flushed?
i've heard a couple people mention that you can clean it but when mine failed i chose to replace it. also, after i had the old one off the car i saw no way of separating it to clean it inside. i would highly recommend a replacement unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

2010Limited

I flushed it for now. I need to see why the turbo is leaking oil. I can't imagine the separator is the cause of oil leaking at the turbo so I'll replace that later. I also just did a huge favor for a local ford dealer so I may just have them look at it.

Gray Brick

I replaced my separator... Ford had an updated piece that apparently helped with oil consumption.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

ZSHO

The Oil Sep has TWO Bolts and ONE rear Retaining clip which can easily be removed using an 8mm socket and a flat head screw driver and simply pull and twist off.
The 2010My has a heated version PCV Valve IIRC!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

2010Limited

Quote from: ZSHO on April 24, 2018, 01:43:36 PM
The Oil Sep has TWO Bolts and ONE rear Retaining clip which can easily be removed using an 8mm socket and a flat head screw driver and simply pull and twist off.
The 2010My has a heated version PCV Valve IIRC!  Z

I have the heated PCV and (3) bolts on the Sep.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: 2010Limited on April 24, 2018, 11:43:08 AM
I flushed it for now. I need to see why the turbo is leaking oil. I can't imagine the separator is the cause of oil leaking at the turbo so I'll replace that later. I also just did a huge favor for a local ford dealer so I may just have them look at it.
Umm yes the separator failing will cause oil to get pretty much everywhere in the intake pipes etc.
See below thread for reference when mine failed in a major way.
I pulled up almost a quart of oil from my CAC after the issue occured.
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8777.0.html
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

Quote from: 2010Limited on April 24, 2018, 11:43:08 AM
I can't imagine the separator is the cause of oil leaking at the turbo so I'll replace that later.

Then you need to research pcv functions and effects on turbo applications and symptoms from inadequate pcv

Not that this is your particular problem but it absolutely could be.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress