• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Is my turbo(s) Bad?

Started by 2010Limited, April 23, 2018, 09:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

If you find a way of taking the actuator rod/lever off, let us know.  I have not seen an official procedure to do so in the manual.  Might be a replaceable seal that's all that's needed, but just guessing here.

Def no leaks from the PTU though, right?  Maybe clean off the gunk on the actuator and see if it comes back?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

2010Limited

Quote from: SHOdded on May 04, 2018, 11:44:14 AM
If you find a way of taking the actuator rod/lever off, let us know.  I have not seen an official procedure to do so in the manual.  Might be a replaceable seal that's all that's needed, but just guessing here.

Def no leaks from the PTU though, right?  Maybe clean off the gunk on the actuator and see if it comes back?
Maybe I'll clean as best I can and see. Not sure if the PTU is leaking. I hope not. I love this truck but it's becoming a PITA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010Limited

Pulled my rear turbo exhaust pipe and found this

Gray Brick

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

2010Limited

Quote from: Gray Brick on May 04, 2018, 04:02:02 PM
Condensation or oil?
Mostly oil and the same nasty crap that was in the separator

Gray Brick

I would guess mine are in similar shape at 130k miles.
A little smoke on startup but nothing crazy.

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

2010Limited

Mine smokes bad enough you can't drive it

2010Limited

Just found this! Guess my rear turbo is toasted!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Quote from: 2010Limited on May 07, 2018, 07:53:40 AM

That'll buff right out.

Joking aside, sorry to see that failure, but now you know the source of the noise you heard, the milkshake in your exh pipe and the smoke.  At least turbos for these cars are relatively inexpensive.  Damage like that you are going to need the entire turbo and cannot replace just the CHRA.

Big question now for you is, do you stay stock or go ATP.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

2010Limited

Quote from: lamrith on May 07, 2018, 11:28:45 AM
Quote from: 2010Limited on May 07, 2018, 07:53:40 AM

That'll buff right out.

Joking aside, sorry to see that failure, but now you know the source of the noise you heard, the milkshake in your exh pipe and the smoke.  At least turbos for these cars are relatively inexpensive.  Damage like that you are going to need the entire turbo and cannot replace just the CHRA.

Big question now for you is, do you stay stock or go ATP.
I'm actually glad I found the source of the problem. I'll just stay stock. I don't trust the rest of it now