• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Re: Oil by throttle body etc!

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, April 22, 2018, 04:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

Yeah Z that's the one. It's the plastic collar behind the rubber coupler that's split. I'm not sure if it's leaking or not but either way needs replaced. I thought i saw another post from someone that just took off the OEM collar and coupler(maybe cut it?) and replaced with an aftermarket rubber coupler. I'll have to poke around for the thread.
If not looks like i'll be ordering the "upgraded" Explorer/ interceptor charge pipe.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 23, 2018, 09:11:40 AM
Yeah Z that's the one. It's the plastic collar behind the rubber coupler that's split. I'm not sure if it's leaking or not but either way needs replaced. I thought i saw another post from someone that just took off the OEM collar and coupler(maybe cut it?) and replaced with an aftermarket rubber coupler. I'll have to poke around for the thread.
If not looks like i'll be ordering the "upgraded" Explorer/ interceptor charge pipe.
The charge pipe hose by the rear turbo can be replaced,modified IIRC. Z
There unfortunately is not sufficient room to modify the lower hose IMO.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

Ok so had some time to look at things a little closer today to try and diagnose where this oil is coming from and also look at the split turbo hose.
here's a closer pic of the split. the rubber coupler still clamps firmly onto the turbo outlet so it MIGHT not be causing the leak but of course it will be replaced.
(yes i ghetto rigged a wire tie there for now lol)

does anyone know if you can buy just the front piece of the saxophone hose like this?

as far as the oil issue . . i didnt find any smoking guns and the issue seems to have mostly recessed as of late. i'm not getting major pooling by the throttle body after WOT like before. then again i haven't done full 1/4mile pulls like at the track.
there's some oil residue around the turbo inlet and outlet flanges but nothing that's super concerning for your average ecoboost.
I am admittedly not experienced at inspecting turbos but i did check for shaft play. didn't get any side to side and maybe a VERY small amount front to back. almost couldn't  notice it at all.
so nothing that screams out as a problem overall.
i was almost expecting to see oil pooling when i removed the hoses but everything was relatively clean

if anyone has any input please don't hesitate speaking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I guess you can always try to modify the end of the charge pipe and add a 90 deg elbow with the proper spec's.  Z

https://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/catalog/category/view/id/14

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

I've thought about modifying the pipe but still being under warranty I would like to keep everything OEM possible.
this is the paper I'm trying to source. But I only need the front half of it after it splits off from the rear turbo
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-connector-tube-eb5z9r530a

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Colorado-SHOBro

alright still experiencing this issue and i'm ready to get to the bottom of it all. I removed my entire catch can system a couple days ago to isolate the oil problem. Did a few back to back WOT pulls yesterday and this is what i saw immediately afterwards.

Pulled the rear turbo to CAC pipe this morning and saw this as well

I'd say at least the rear turbo is suspect at this point. I would think there would be some oil in the actual outlet of the turbo also not just on the flange but maybe the boost pressure pushed it forward or it drained back down? There's absolutely no oil on the outside of the turbo so the leak is completely internal turbo seal issue.

Is there reliable way to test for bad turbo seals besides just looking at the symptoms?

I'd like to test both turbos before i take it into the dealer so i can push to have them replace both rather than just the one that's obviously leaking oil.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Colorado-SHOBro

intercooler is still oem.
car doesn't smoke at idle or normal driving. i haven't made a concerted effort to look in my rear view when i get on the gas but nothing obvious. ill look next time i drive it

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Maybe have someone follow you and be the lookout?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Mount a GoPro if you have one... might help....

Compression check? PCV? Otherwise turbos...  maybe time for ATPs?

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: StealBlueSho on May 11, 2018, 10:37:05 PM

go pro fell out of my pocket last snowboard trip
don't have a compression test tool but i do have a borescope being delivered tomorrow so i will pull the plugs and check first chance i get.
and first resort will be getting the turbo(s) replaced under warranty. just hoping they won't fight me because of the downpipes.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on May 11, 2018, 10:50:23 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on May 11, 2018, 10:37:05 PM

go pro fell out of my pocket last snowboard trip
don't have a compression test tool but i do have a borescope being delivered tomorrow so i will pull the plugs and check first chance i get.
and first resort will be getting the turbo(s) replaced under warranty. just hoping they won't fight me because of the downpipes.

If the dealer is tough, they most certainly will deny the claim due to Downpipes.... i highly suggest swapping those out before going in.

Exhaust modifications are a sure fire way on a turbo car for the dealers to deny warranty.

Colorado-SHOBro

well i'm guessing this isn't how healthy pistons should look?
not sure if this is catastrophic damage as the car still drives excellent and runs very smooth.
of course there's no way to tell if the rings are sealing or passing oil until i can do a compression check but this could very well be the source of the oil blow by.
Anybody educated in the piston damage feel free to comment on your thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHqTYj4sY08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBATVq1lUhA

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

Got your email...Piston 5 looks worse but even though the vid is pretty clear I can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me and the way the carbon build up looks funny or if there are chunks out of the perimeter of those pistons...I'm thinking chunks are gone but you'd think it would not run as well as it is.

I'd be curious how the compression test turns out.

Don't you have over 100k on it? You'd also think if chunks were gone from the pistons that the valves would be bent or damaged and the turbos would be destroyed
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress