• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

USR slotted or GD sport rotors.

Started by BoostfoSHO, April 19, 2018, 02:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoostfoSHO

So I may be getting brakes soon but can't decide which are better... Pros and cons and opinions please on the EBC rotors between the USR slotted rotors or the GD sport rotors ? The USR slotted look really thin and like they would warp easily vs the GD sport rotors. I don't care about noise so the silent part of the USR isn't really a selling point for me.
I'll be going with the yellow stuff pads for sure. Unless I keep searching and finding something better.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...
Pending install. Snow stage

Gjkrisa

I'd go usr just because  it seems closer to the top teir .
amazon reviews look good except one guy who had warped at four years but I doubt he installed them properly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

Colorado-SHOBro

Honestly i'd go with whatever you can find the best deal on. I just got a set of usr's for my 11' for $105 for the front pair.

If price is similar and noise isn't a concern then go with the GD sports as they should offer better heat dissipation . . . however i doubt you'll notice the difference unless you push the hell out of the car.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 19, 2018, 08:46:24 AM
Honestly i'd go with whatever you can find the best deal on. I just got a set of usr's for my 11' for $105 for the front pair.

If price is similar and noise isn't a concern then go with the GD sports as they should offer better heat dissipation . . . however i doubt you'll notice the difference unless you push the hell out of the car.
I found the price difference to be only $20 for the front $20 for the rear so not that much difference.

I found the lowest prices at raceconsultingagency.com

Front $386
http://raceconsultingagency.com/ebc-brakes/ebc-brake-kit-s5-yellowstuff-and-gd-rotors/s5kf1771/i-2267982.aspx
Rear $ 280
http://raceconsultingagency.com/ebc-brakes/ebc-brake-kit-s5-yellowstuff-and-gd-rotors/s5kr1516/i-2266341.aspx
Total of $667
Free shipping

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...

Agentlongwood

I have the USR rotors, and Red Stuff pads.  There is no difference in thickness between them and the GD rotors.  That is just a generic product image.  If you look, the image for the GD rotors isn't even a vented hat, which I'm almost certain the actual GD rotors for our cars are. 

My advice is this:  Between those 2 get the USRs, because they are quieter.  The benefits of cross-drilling are questionable, and so minor they probably aren't worth the extra noise.  Especially since we are not pro drivers who could even take advantage of difference like that. 

So if you want quiet rotors get the USRs or blanks from EBC.  If you don't care about noise, get whichever is cheapest.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

gtmorgan23

Both of those setups are way more expensive than the powerstop kit on Amazon. I guess because they are a higher tier product.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on April 19, 2018, 12:23:35 PM
Both of those setups are way more expensive than the powerstop kit on Amazon. I guess because they are a higher tier product.
Yea I saw that as well but I've ran into several posts on the web and on FB about powerstop warping rotors and not holding up so well. I haven't ran into many of the same issue from EBC yet so I'm leaning towards them.

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
For now...

AJP turbo

I think GD's are the best from EBC...They are dimpled and not cross drilled so less likley to crack....They are pricy and a bit noisy though.

But I think what makes the GD's different is the vanes are directional which make them unique to all the other EBC rotors.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on April 19, 2018, 12:34:37 PM
I think GD's are the best from EBC...They are dimpled and not cross drilled so less likley to crack....They are pricy and a bit noisy though.

But I think what makes the GD's different is the vanes are directional which make them unique to all the other EBC rotors.

I've read in several forums that have installed both the USR and the GD and they both have the venting vanes the same. The difference is the slotted and dimples only. As far as I have read online.

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
For now...

BoostfoSHO

Well I pulled the trigger on the GD kit. I called raceconsultingagency.com and they knocked down $25 for calling in. All 4 corners with GD rotors and yellow pads for $640. Shipped. I feel like that was a good deal considering most places sell the stage 5 GD rotors and yellow stuff pads for near $500 bucks alone.

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
For now...

mval

i wish i've had researched the gd's a little more as thought they were drilled rather than dimpled & at that time mine was a dd so went usr. have since turned her into show car so would love the gd's. i went with the red stuff over the yellow once again based upon her being a dd. the only negative i've hear is more dust from the yellows. but love ebc's & have same setup on another of my cars.
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

gtmorgan23

2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on April 19, 2018, 01:45:30 PM
I was planning on getting this setup in the near future.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O6QIMT0/?coliid=I1O2BBU1EPP1J2&colid=FOHPZRI1BNXP&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I would stay away from drilled not from personal experience but just from doing research they seem prone to stress fractures.

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
For now...

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on April 19, 2018, 05:02:04 PM
So you got this:

http://raceconsultingagency.com/ebc-brakes/ebc-brake-kit-s5-yellowstuff-and-gd-rotors/s5kf1771/i-2267982.aspx

and

http://raceconsultingagency.com/ebc-brakes/ebc-brake-kit-s5-yellowstuff-and-gd-rotors/s5kr1516/i-2266341.aspx
Yes that's exactly what I got. If you call in they give you a better price. I spoke to Adam he was real cool about hooking it up.

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
For now...