• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Flush vs drain and fill

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, April 18, 2018, 09:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Yeah you are good....

Fuel efficient=Low viscosity(LV)

I think all of the AMSOIL ATF fluids are synthetic but the signature series is obviously better and uses the PAO's.

You can get the LV amsoil in non signature series as well

So they have 4 types:
OE ATF
OE LV ATF
Signature series ATF
Signature series LV ATF
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Colorado-SHOBro

Alright went ahead and did the flush today and happy to say it went on without a hitch! The method worked well and i'm confident i got out at least 90%+. I would highly recommend using this technique if you're requiring a trans service. Just drain the pan(i got 5qts exact out). Refill with 4 qts to give yourself a little margin for error. This should leave you with ~ 11 qts in the system. Disconnect the trans return line and route to a graduated drain pan. Start the car and immediately cycle the trans between D,R,N, etc. until you've drained out 4qts. Be quick! the trans pump drains it out fast! Turn the car off. replace with 4qts of fresh fluid and then start the car and drain another 3-4qts as a final flush. Reconnect trans line and warm the trans up to normal operating temp and top off as needed. After i followed these steps i still had 2 qts of fresh fluid left(started off with 14) so i drained another little bit out and it was completely pure red trans fluid(it looked like it did coming out of the bottle) which tells me even after driving it around and letting all the fluid mix and settle just about every bit of it was fresh new fluid.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

Do you not have the trans cooler? I thought the bypass thermostat valve prevents the fluid flow until the temp is reached?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: AJP turbo on April 21, 2018, 02:37:32 AM
Do you not have the trans cooler? I thought the bypass thermostat valve prevents the fluid flow until the temp is reached?
Great question brad. yes i do have the aux trans cooler which made it a lot easier to just pop off a hose to drain from. No disconnecting the hard lines or anything.
The trans bypass thermostat was a concern . . . I drove the car and got it fully warmed up(190*) before starting the job and just drove it on ramps and drained the pan real quick before it cooled down much. I believe the PP thermostat opens at 160*.
That may be difficult for guys that haven't switched to the cooler trans t stat though . . i think they don't open until 180 or 190.

The couple times a started the car to drain the fluid the trans temp on the x4 read around 130. However, i'm guessing the sensor is in the pan which was mostly fresh fluid and not the same temp as the thermostat sees. Regardless, the fluid kept flowing from the by pass block so it was never a problem for me.

The strange thing i'm still trying to wrap my mind around though . . . is that the fluid was coming out of the BOTTOM line of the bypass block from the trans. This is the opposite direction of what i've seen it's supposed to do. I thought the bottom was the return line.
I'm looking into it more but that may be why i didn't see much additional cooling from the aux cooler when i installed it. It seems it's going through the aux cooler first then the AC condenser then back to the trans.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Colorado-SHOBro

Can i get some input on this comparison diagram attachment please.
In no event should the trans be pumping fluid OUT of the BOTTOM trans line from the thermostat bypass block correct? That's the line that should be returning the cooled fluid back to the trans. Unless the 10-12 system flows in the opposite direction of the 13+

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

griggs95

Thanks for the write-up on this. How is the trans shifting and overall feel after this?
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: griggs95 on April 21, 2018, 12:31:56 PM
Thanks for the write-up on this. How is the trans shifting and overall feel after this?
It feels good although i never had any shifting issues before. Car only has 49,000 miles so i'll take it as a sign that the trans wasn't suffering to begin with. i'd say slightly noticeable improvement.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.