• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Flush vs drain and fill

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, April 18, 2018, 09:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

Has anyone ever had any experience or hear about what is better for the 6f55?
What is officially recommended?
I'll be replacing my mercon lv with amsoil signature series trans fluid and i've got enough to flush the whole system and get all 11+ quarts repalced. Of course there's tons of horror stories about flushing services ruining high mileage transmissions as it breaks away pieces of debris and deposits them in more harmful areas of the transmission. I'm currently at 48k miles so this isn't a huge concern for me. Also i'm going to be doing this at home not taking this to a shop so i'm not referring to a pressure flush where they also use detergents and cleaning agents.
I'm just gonna let the trans pump do it's job and move all the fluid out.
Anyhow just curious is anyone has done a DIY flush like this or what the recommendation is?

Thanks for any input guys!
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Colorado-SHOBro

Hmmm i just ran across this comment in one of Ford Tech Makuloco's videos. . . has me wondering if i shouldn't have just stuck with the mercon actually

"Brian,  I have been using amsoil oil for years. Signature series atf says it's a replacement for Mercon LV.
Do u think it's OK to go with the amsoil?

Thanks for your videos, they are very helpful! 

FordTechMakuloco:

"You can do whatever I would not use it in my vehicle. Mercon LV has a very specific additive package unlike fluids of the past"
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 18, 2018, 10:01:00 PM
Hmmm i just ran across this comment in one of Ford Tech Makuloco's videos. . . has me wondering if i shouldn't have just stuck with the mercon actually

"Brian,  I have been using amsoil oil for years. Signature series atf says it's a replacement for Mercon LV.
Do u think it's OK to go with the amsoil?

Thanks for your videos, they are very helpful! 

FordTechMakuloco:

"You can do whatever I would not use it in my vehicle. Mercon LV has a very specific additive package unlike fluids of the past"
He's a ford tech, not a tribologist.

AJP turbo

The blue label amsoil is LV and meets the Mercon LV specs

So signature series LV ATF is what you want....the non LV is the red label 
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

As far as replacing the fluid in one shot, I hope you have at least 15 quarts handy.  Never run low on fluid!!!

I have posted this link before, I think, this is on a 6F50, but should work for a 6F55 also
http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/2040-transmission-fluid-replace/page-2#entry144768
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on April 19, 2018, 05:03:20 AM
As far as replacing the fluid in one shot, I hope you have at least 15 quarts handy.  Never run low on fluid!!!

I have posted this link before, I think, this is on a 6F50, but should work for a 6F55 also
http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/2040-transmission-fluid-replace/page-2#entry144768
Thanks for the link. I remember reading that a while back. I'm doing something very similar to that process.
I'm going in with about 14.5qts which should be more than enough.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

I had my transmission flushed on my 2010 at my trusted shop... unfortunately they used a "high quality" non-brand name synthetic (lv) fluid. There is a post about it somewhere...

In any event, the transmission did not shift clean when tuned at WOT until I did 3 x drain and fills with Motorcraft Mercon LV...then everything was happy... It was even cleaner with an extra half quart of fluid per LMS recommendations.

Just my experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

This is what I used...

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: BJSHO on April 19, 2018, 10:48:32 AM
I had my transmission flushed on my 2010 at my trusted shop... unfortunately they used a "high quality" non-brand name synthetic (lv) fluid. There is a post about it somewhere...

In any event, the transmission did not shift clean when tuned at WOT until I did 3 x drain and fills with Motorcraft Mercon LV...then everything was happy... It was even cleaner with an extra half quart of fluid per LMS recommendations.

Just my experience...

This is why no one puts a wrench on my car but me. Even reputable "trusted" shops make mistakes or get careless. Only other people to do any work on my car has been a very close friend of mine did an alignment and the dealer has had the car twice for warranty work.

At any rate the amsoil trans fluid gets here today and i plan to use it tomorrow. I trust amsoil but also think there's some validity to ford tech makuloco's statement about OEM manufacturers having very specific additive packs to their trans fluids these days. I'm sure amsoils fluid match and exceed those requirements but it's still somewhat of a universal fluid vs the lv being specific to ford.

If there's any funny business after the flush i can still flush back to mercon lv if need be.

Can anyone who is running amsoil trans fluid in their 6f55 speak on behalf of their experience?

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

SHO BRO did you get LV amsoil? If you did not then I wouldn't use the amsoil..LV is not specific to Ford, many OEMs are switching to LV fluid in the name of fuel economy
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

griggs95

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 19, 2018, 11:21:14 AM
Quote from: BJSHO on April 19, 2018, 10:48:32 AM

Just my experience...

This is why no one puts a wrench on my car but me. Even reputable "trusted" shops make mistakes or get careless. Only other people to do any work on my car has been a very close friend of mine did an alignment and the dealer has had the car twice for warranty work.

At any rate the amsoil trans fluid gets here today and i plan to use it tomorrow. I trust amsoil but also think there's some validity to ford tech makuloco's statement about OEM manufacturers having very specific additive packs to their trans fluids these days. I'm sure amsoils fluid match and exceed those requirements but it's still somewhat of a universal fluid vs the lv being specific to ford.

If there's any funny business after the flush i can still flush back to mercon lv if need be.

Can anyone who is running amsoil trans fluid in their 6f55 speak on behalf of their experience?

I switched out my fluid to Amsoil at 25k with the entire flush on the BG machine in mid 2012. When I took the car out I could not believe how smooth the trans shifted and was not at all expecting that. My secondary thought afterwards was 'what the hell took me so long'.

I believe that the "special" additives in the oem fluid is more to get you to use their stuff and also to scare you about warranty claims; basically a training the brain gimmick so you continue to use after warranty as well. The idea being if your car hasn't blown up after 60k, the fluids must work the best so I might as well keep using it.

Amsoil (and other) is in the business of oils and specialize in that. Ford is not. I'm at 83k on that same fluid and haven't topped it off either since its full. I'm getting ready to do it again this spring sine I think its overdue. That's the thing about top quality fluids, you can go longer intervals. To date, no trans problems noticed at all.
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: AJP turbo on April 19, 2018, 11:52:57 AM
SHO BRO did you get LV amsoil? If you did not then I wouldn't use the amsoil..LV is not specific to Ford, many OEMs are switching to LV fluid in the name of fuel economy
yeah 99% sure i got the right stuff. it's what amsoil listed for my vehicle and i'm assuming the "fuel efficient" is their way of saying low viscosity.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

StealBlueSho

I was under the impression LV is just synthetic? At least all the LV I have even looked at was Synthetic...