• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

1000-2000 rpm hesitation

Started by ncole, April 09, 2018, 01:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncole

I didn't find anything quite like doing some searching.  I noticed mine under light acceleration between ~1000 to 2000 rpm that it hesitates. The tach seems to jump up abruptly as you gradually accelerate.  You can feel it, but it is not too violent. Just about all gears, especially noticeable in third (not sure if for anymore reason than that being a common gear putting around town).  No codes, trans fluid level at max (not over max like I have read to do, yet).  I am not certain whether it is transmission or maybe engine.  If it is happening in pretty much any and all gears at a certain engine speed, I am leaning towards engine, but it just feels so much like a slipping transmission at low RPM.  I can go WOT and get full boost, timing, and fuel pressure which results in normal performance.  I do have my Livernois tune on (Race I think, hottest 2011 tune).  I haven't been under the hood yet, just noticed it this morning coming in. It didn't go away throughout my entire hour+ drive.  107k miles. 

2011 black on black SHO.  MDesign CAI, Livernois 93 Stage 4 Plus X RACE 3BAR (running some E85 in to boost octane), 160° Thermostat, Livernois gapped plugs, 3 bar MAP

derfdog15

Quote from: ncole on April 09, 2018, 01:34:06 PM
I didn't find anything quite like doing some searching.  I noticed mine under light acceleration between ~1000 to 2000 rpm that it hesitates. The tach seems to jump up abruptly as you gradually accelerate.  You can feel it, but it is not too violent. Just about all gears, especially noticeable in third (not sure if for anymore reason than that being a common gear putting around town).  No codes, trans fluid level at max (not over max like I have read to do, yet).  I am not certain whether it is transmission or maybe engine.  If it is happening in pretty much any and all gears at a certain engine speed, I am leaning towards engine, but it just feels so much like a slipping transmission at low RPM.  I can go WOT and get full boost, timing, and fuel pressure which results in normal performance.  I do have my Livernois tune on (Race I think, hottest 2011 tune).  I haven't been under the hood yet, just noticed it this morning coming in. It didn't go away throughout my entire hour+ drive.  107k miles.

I would recommend trying the transmission relearn procedure (https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1624.0)

Along with that a KAM reset to be safe. Also for troubleshooting purposes you could try going back to the stock tune, and seeing if the issue persists.

If you have access to an SCT tuner, I would recommend datalogging the car but not sure if you have an SCT laying around since you have an LMS tune.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

When were plugs last changed?  The old adage of pulling plugs to verify engine condition still holds true today.  Plug gap may simply be outside acceptable range.  Too much oil, too much/not enough fuel, etc.  Plus you can check for oil in the plug wells, maybe a valve cover gasket leak, that sort of thing.  Turbo-wise, the small hoses atop the manifold are always suspect if they have not been clamped down.  Check the intercooler for buildup.  Probably not an issue here but what the hey :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOme

My 2010 did similar.  No codes.  Took it in and was told the torque  converter was going.  This was at 110k.  I now have a 2014 with 91k. I just changed the tranny fluid for the third time trying to prevent any issues.  Have you serviced the trans?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2014 SHO, PP 3 bar, 160 T Stat, Livernois v10 Tune, UPR catch can. MDesign CAI

ZSHO

Check the MDesign intake to verify that the IAT Sensor grommet is not loose or coming off which is quite common IIRC! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ncole

Quote from: SHOme on April 09, 2018, 01:47:10 PM
My 2010 did similar.  No codes.  Took it in and was told the torque  converter was going.  This was at 110k.  I now have a 2014 with 91k. I just changed the tranny fluid for the third time trying to prevent any issues.  Have you serviced the trans?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I didn't want to hear any of that business.  I had the transmission serviced about 10k ago by a Ford dealer.  Along with the PTU, rear diff, and coolant system.  I am really hoping with the engine speed specific and vehicle speed/gear selected dependent symptom that it is not the transmission. I am not in the position to be moving on from this car as I have only had it for a year and half.  I put over 30,000 miles a year on it.
2011 black on black SHO.  MDesign CAI, Livernois 93 Stage 4 Plus X RACE 3BAR (running some E85 in to boost octane), 160° Thermostat, Livernois gapped plugs, 3 bar MAP

ncole

Quote from: ZSHO on April 09, 2018, 02:11:03 PM
Check the MDesign intake to verify that the IAT Sensor grommet is not loose or coming off which is quite common IIRC! Z

I will get around to changing my sig, but the MD intake is out.  Just a K&N dropped into the stock box.  I will check it for along with plugs and other things suggested. 

Vortech347

I did two very simple things around 36k that got rid of 95% of that.  When I'd go up a steep grade and load 6th hard just before it would shift between 1500-2000rpm mine would surge like an over cammed mustang.

I changed the plugs.
Switched to only top tier fuel.  Chevron Exclusive.  Normally I tell people that running a specific brand is stupid and they're all rated the same, it's a marketing gimic, yadda yadda....  No, I'm not bullshitting.  It truly made a huge difference.  My 500hp mustangs don't give a damn what fuel is in it.  My SHO? she's a spoiled brat.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0