• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How do these spark plugs look?

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, April 06, 2018, 08:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

pulled 2 plugs from the rear bank yesterday just out of curiosity. ground strap doesn't seem to have a very easy or clean burn pattern to it and there's oil on the base of the threads.
i did expect sort of a dirty burn pattern after my oil separator failed a couple months ago and the car burnt through almost a quart of oil. i will be replacing plugs soon but wanted to get some opinions and verify there's no other funny business going on.
opinions welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Gjkrisa

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 06, 2018, 08:18:42 AM
pulled 2 plugs from the rear bank yesterday just out of curiosity. ground strap doesn't seem to have a very easy or clean burn pattern to it and there's oil on the base of the threads.
i did expect sort of a dirty burn pattern after my oil separator failed a couple months ago and the car burnt through almost a quart of oil. i will be replacing plugs soon but wanted to get some opinions and verify there's no other funny business going on.
opinions welcome!

Spark plugs don't look like they need changed but there maybe something else going on like a blown head gasket oil on the threads look like my Subarus plugs.

How bad is the oil on the ground strap picture doesn't show much but I think might just have bad seals should be easy fix compared to bottom end.

Wonder if it would be feasible to do a compression test or leak down test to test the piston seal just to cover all bases before deciding to tear into it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

SHOdded

The oil being at the top of the threads is the puzzling part.   But I dont think there is currently a problem.  Change away.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Did you happen to check the front bank spark plugs for comparison?  When exactly did you install the SP-542's ? Before or after the oil Sep issue! 
Sorry for all the questions just trying to help ya out.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Macgyver

Minor valve cover gasket leak causing the oil on the top of the threads ?

ZSHO

The oil could of trickled down the spark plug wells after that PCV issue of a mess  left behind IMO!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: ZSHO on April 06, 2018, 02:43:50 PM
Did you happen to check the front bank spark plugs for comparison?  When exactly did you install the SP-542's ? Before or after the oil Sep issue! 
no problem z!
the 542s were in there prior to the oil separator issue and have always ran like a dream.
i checked the front bank shortly after the separator issue and they were actually very clean but i'm thinking since the separator is on the rear bank there was more saturation and mixing in the rear cylinders. there was oil all over the engine bay in back as well from the vta bov.
even so i don't see that getting into the threads of the plugs externally. suppose it could have been pressured from inside the cylinder and seeped into the threads?

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Skydogs

Boost and meth life!!
13 SHO PP  Meth tuned by AJP Turbo!!!!
610" Merlin 8.3 whipple on Meth 1,300 HP Pump gas
17 Thunder Cat 300 HP Tuned
17 X3 Can-am 200 HP Tuned

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: Skydogs on April 06, 2018, 05:29:49 PM
Plugs look great. No problems
yeah not too concerned really just wanted some opinions to verify they looked ok. the burn pattern on the ground strap is a little funky looking but i suspect that's from the oil it burned.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 06, 2018, 05:26:36 PM
no problem z!
the 542s were in there prior to the oil separator issue and have always ran like a dream.
i checked the front bank shortly after the separator issue and they were actually very clean but i'm thinking since the separator is on the rear bank there was more saturation and mixing in the rear cylinders. there was oil all over the engine bay in back as well from the vta bov.
even so i don't see that getting into the threads of the plugs externally. suppose it could have been pressured from inside the cylinder and seeped into the threads?

I would change the plugs anyways and continue to monitor them @ every oil change interval.  Z

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: ZSHO on April 06, 2018, 06:37:07 PM
Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 06, 2018, 05:26:36 PM
no problem z!

I would change the plugs anyways and continue to monitor them @ every oil change interval.  Z
yep that's the plan

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.