• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Mustang Style Fogs on SHO

Started by jman, April 05, 2018, 03:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jman

Wondering how Mustang style fogs would look on an SHO... what do you think?

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

SHOdded

I think one member has put similar lights behind the grille of a gen 5.  A while back now.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

derfdog15

NONONONONO. Please NO. That looks so wrong with the proportions of the grill and how close they are. It also would be ILLEGAL to run those fogs at all with headlights and the DRLs on, since most states you can only have two pairs of lights on at a time. so they would basically be useless. Add to that the pain it would be to properly mount them, and tuck the wires (not a lot of room behind the stock grills to work with).

If you need additional lighting for some reason, there was a member that put a lightbar behind the grill and that worked reasonably well IMO. You could do a lightbar in the small opening at the bottom of the grill as well if needed.

However, IMO, I would skip out on putting anything into the grill areas, especially those circle fogs in the top area, as it would definitely impede air flow, and may add extra heat near the radiator as well, depending on wattage of the lights.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

bpd1151

Meh......

Go for it. It's YOUR car and that certainly would be unique to say the least.

jman

Quote from: derfdog15 on April 06, 2018, 08:50:13 AM
NONONONONO. Please NO. That looks so wrong with the proportions of the grill and how close they are. It also would be ILLEGAL to run those fogs at all with headlights and the DRLs on, since most states you can only have two pairs of lights on at a time. so they would basically be useless. Add to that the pain it would be to properly mount them, and tuck the wires (not a lot of room behind the stock grills to work with).

If you need additional lighting for some reason, there was a member that put a lightbar behind the grill and that worked reasonably well IMO. You could do a lightbar in the small opening at the bottom of the grill as well if needed.

However, IMO, I would skip out on putting anything into the grill areas, especially those circle fogs in the top area, as it would definitely impede air flow, and may add extra heat near the radiator as well, depending on wattage of the lights.

But you didn't vote...

I didn't say I was going to do it, just gauging opinions.
At least on the 2010-2012 the DRL's run on the same light bulb as the low beams so that is only 2. Now, the light strips at the bottom of the SHO's bumper should not really count as "lights", these days with more vehicles using LED strip type of lighting, I see many 2017+ with two sets of lights plus a strip on each side ON at the same time... so I wonder how is the law being applied there.
IMO a light bar would look incredibly ugly, round fogs have been used on rally and sports car for decades, but to each their own. All opinions are valued and respected.

derfdog15

Quote from: jman on April 06, 2018, 09:30:52 AM
Quote from: derfdog15 on April 06, 2018, 08:50:13 AM

But you didn't vote...

I didn't say I was going to do it, just gauging opinions.
At least on the 2010-2012 the DRL's run on the same light bulb as the low beams so that is only 2. Now, the light strips at the bottom of the SHO's bumper should not really count as "lights", these days with more vehicles using LED strip type of lighting, I see many 2017+ with two sets of lights plus a strip on each side ON at the same time... so I wonder how is the law being applied there.
IMO a light bar would look incredibly ugly, round fogs have been used on rally and sports car for decades, but to each their own. All opinions are valued and respected.

I voted No. The DRLs I mentioned are the 'fog' lights mounted in the lower bumper. That pair of LEDs is a seperate pair for all intents and purposes. An LED strip inside of the a pre-existing pair, such as LED HALO accenting, is not considered since it is still within the pair (such as the '16+ fusion lights)

A lot of people run additional lights that were not stock, and in most cases a cop wont mess with it, because its generally just a fix it ticket. A lot of places, the cops don't care. However, in VA they will pull you over every time. it depends where you are at. I got pulled over for my lights on my F150 when I was in college because I was running high beams and spotlights (on the bullbar) late at night, when I saw oncomming traffic I dropped to low beams, and then went to click off the spots, however in the interim period while the spots were still active, my fogs came back on (stock relay cut the fogs with high beams but I generally had the auto headlights switch to headlights and fog combo. As such I had headlights, stock foglights, and spot lights on for ~20 seconds if that. However, that vehicle coming towards me, was a Virginia police officer, and she pulled me over to tell me that three pairs of lights on at once was illegal...had I not had a clean driving record she likely would have ticketed me as well, but since my record was clean and drivers license from out of state she let me go with a verbal warning.

The light bar has more appeal IMO because it is much easier to hide, I think the circle fogs would look better as a hidden setup as well, the part throwing me off the most is the proportioning and how in your face it is, mustang grills are wider and so it looks less awkward, they also are a smaller circumference, or atleast seem to be.

This is the thread with the behind the grill light bar I was referencing: https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=4295.0

IMO I would start with the upgraded 'fog lights' for the stock location, as they are MUCH brighter than the stockers, and may eliminate all need/want for anything else. These are what I am referring to: http://drivebright.com/home/shop/ford-taurus-led-drl-kit-standard-black-with-built-in-led-turn-signal/
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

jman

I am referring to stock vehicles. Today you see a lot of newer models that had an led strip as DRL's (most of the times within the head lamp), regular low beams and fog lights and I've seen these with all 3 sets ON at the same time.
What I am saying is that somehow manufacturers are getting away with it, the "no more than 2 sets of lights" law was written before LED strips started invading the auto industry and eventually the law will have to be amended. Here is an example on how the law no longer suits the current industry.

Now, with non LED strips the law does take into consideration the number of light bulbs that are ON at the same time even if they are in the same housing. I use to own a Mazda 6 that had the low beam, high beam and fog light all integrated in one head lamp, all with a light bulb for each system and all though they were in the same housing, the fogs turned off whenever the high beams came on.

derfdog15

Quote from: jman on April 06, 2018, 04:13:32 PM
I am referring to stock vehicles. Today you see a lot of newer models that had an led strip as DRL's (most of the times within the head lamp), regular low beams and fog lights and I've seen these with all 3 sets ON at the same time.
What I am saying is that somehow manufacturers are getting away with it, the "no more than 2 sets of lights" law was written before LED strips started invading the auto industry and eventually the law will have to be amended. Here is an example on how the law no longer suits the current industry.

Now, with non LED strips the law does take into consideration the number of light bulbs that are ON at the same time even if they are in the same housing. I use to own a Mazda 6 that had the low beam, high beam and fog light all integrated in one head lamp, all with a light bulb for each system and all though they were in the same housing, the fogs turned off whenever the high beams came on.

Sets as I referenced is with regards to the HOUSINGS, as I though I clarified earlier. If I didn't my apologies. So, the VW or whatever the hell that ugly ass Atlas is, the headlights and grill LEDs is all one housing for legal purposes, since its once continuous LED setup. The beamer? though it has multiple types of lights in the headlight, is all in one housing again. The Mazda 6 you meantioned is the same again, its all in the same housing. The difference with the SHO is that headlights are one housing, and the lower bumper DRL is the second housing. Thus grill mounted lights would be a 3rd set of housings. The mustangs run grill mounted fogs and seperate headlight housings. Some people do eleanor style bumpers, etc. and end up with two sets of foglights (lower bumper corners and center grill) and once that happens they cannot run both sets of fogs. Because OEM foglights require parking lights to be powered when they are on (due to the way the OEMs wire them), you can only run one set of foglights plus parking lights on any car with them seperated before it could become an issue.

Now, as I said, some cops/areas, no one gives a crap at all while others are super harsh. If you roll around south florida you will see jacked up trucks with factory headlight housings and poorly converted HIDs, HID fogs in factory housings (poorly converted again), and then light bars and all sorts of extras running at once. But technically they are not allowed to do that.

As with everything there are loopholes, some of which you saw with the types of housings you pictured. Some cars run two seperate bulbs, in the same housing, for low beam vs. high beam, still to this day which is totally allowed, and the low beam light stays on for high and low operation in those setups.

TLDR; since the grill fogs would be an additional pair of housings, you legally would have issue but it would depend on municipality if anyone actually cared. Because the SHO has the bumper fogs/DRLs ALWAYS ON with any form of light, you would not be able to run additional lights. However, some areas they may not consider those lights as an actual pair due to size/output, though legally they would be considered since ford calls them 'fog' lights.

irondoor19

When I was Much Much younger (20 something) I had a First Gen Toyota Celica,
I put Aircraft landing Lights Behind the Grill, & ONLY Used them to run
down Empty 2 lane roads from Myrtle beach area to Hilton Head in the
wee hours of the AM, at SO Much more than legal speeds... AND yes I
Got Stopped More than Once, yelled at & 1 Time Shown the Cuffs, "but never arrested"
Ah youth, yes you can do anything you like to your ride, BUT in my old age prefer Stealth
"The police were way more Understanding then", NOT SO Much Today...  ::)
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

mjhpadi

Just FYI the stock secondary lights are NOT fog lights. Ford calls them "Auxillary Cornering Lamps".  Considering that they were not intended to be fog lamps makes it easier to understand why they don't work as fogs.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350