• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Paging LMS

Started by lnferno, April 04, 2018, 10:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lnferno

I recently picked up a 2018 Explorer Sport.  I live at very high elevation - 7,000 ft.  Is there anything to take into consideration with your tune for this vehicle or is the OTS tune perfectly fine for my altitude?
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
Some say the outline of my left nipple is the exact same shape as the Nürburgring

derfdog15

Quote from: lnferno on April 04, 2018, 10:34:01 PM
I recently picked up a 2018 Explorer Sport.  I live at very high elevation - 7,000 ft.  Is there anything to take into consideration with your tune for this vehicle or is the OTS tune perfectly fine for my altitude?

I'm extremely doubtful that the off the shelf tune will work for your elevation, if you go between elevations at all. It will be commanding a different level of boost to hit target boost at elevation, and as such will have too much boost, by a lot IMO, if you went lower.

AJPTurbo did a custom tuner for another member, who lives in colorado IIRC, that uses the barometric sensor to adjust commanded boost depending on elevations if I recall correctly.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

ZSHO

I would email them @ tuning@livernoismotorsports.com or info@livernoismotorsports.com for a custom tune dedicated to your DA.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Livernois Motorsports

Our tune actually uses the factory adjustment settings to correct for altitude so our tune would be just fine for you and we would not need to do any kind of adjustment for altitude!

AJP turbo

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on April 09, 2018, 01:49:46 PM
Our tune actually uses the factory adjustment settings to correct for altitude so our tune would be just fine for you and we would not need to do any kind of adjustment for altitude!

I don't really want to post much in this thread but that may not be entirely accurate and was maybe simplified for the sake of customer relations but if you simply use the stock barometric pressure modifiers for Wide open pedal commanded torque the ECU will lower torque targets at altitude which will lower target boost.

Some people have found this out by logging.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Hotrod Lincoln

I live at 7000 ft and my LME 91 tune seems really strong. Altitude is funny but the biggest issue I have had, and not just with a tuned turbo car, is with throttle response.
We have family in Kansas and when we go back that's one thing I have noticed is the much, much improved throttle response I get at sea level. This is obviously normal behavior from a naturally asperated vehicle.
I haven't been back to Kansas in the tuned lincoln and I'm not sure it's possible but it seems like throttle response could be better at altitude in a turbo car? Maybe LME can chime in on this.
2011 MKS 81K Miles

AJP turbo

Quote from: Hotrod Lincoln on April 09, 2018, 10:51:01 PM
I live at 7000 ft and my LME 91 tune seems really strong. Altitude is funny but the biggest issue I have had, and not just with a tuned turbo car, is with throttle response.
We have family in Kansas and when we go back that's one thing I have noticed is the much, much improved throttle response I get at sea level. This is obviously normal behavior from a naturally asperated vehicle.
I haven't been back to Kansas in the tuned lincoln and I'm not sure it's possible but it seems like throttle response could be better at altitude in a turbo car? Maybe LME can chime in on this.

Your turbos are probably just about maxxed out...your wastegate duty cycle above 5000rpm would show that compared to lower elevations
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: derfdog15 on April 05, 2018, 10:43:13 AM
Quote from: lnferno on April 04, 2018, 10:34:01 PM

I'm extremely doubtful that the off the shelf tune will work for your elevation, if you go between elevations at all. It will be commanding a different level of boost to hit target boost at elevation, and as such will have too much boost, by a lot IMO, if you went lower.

AJPTurbo did a custom tuner for another member, who lives in colorado IIRC, that uses the barometric sensor to adjust commanded boost depending on elevations if I recall correctly.
Yes AJP whipped up that super slick tune for me.
We tuned boost levels for my normal elevation(~6,000 feet) and when i would drive further up into the mountains the turbos would have to work so much harder to achieve those same boost levels they would max out and beyond. If i did enough WOT driving at higher elevations the ecu would see that desired boost was not being met and send the car into limp mode.
It's hard to say if LMS has anything like that built into their tunes. They do run a much more conservative amount of boost so they may not be pushing the turbos hard enough to send it into limp mode anyway. You'd have to monitor your wastegate duty cycle through an obd app if you ran the lms tune and see where you stand . . . or just beat on it at elevation and see if it triggers limp mode. . . but you've already spent your money by then.
I'd say it's more effective to use a tuner who can customize your boost levels to your altitude to begin with.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

lnferno

Thanks all for the input
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
Some say the outline of my left nipple is the exact same shape as the Nürburgring