• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Looking for opinions - help me make my mind up!

Started by Joe87T, April 06, 2018, 11:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe87T

Hey guys, happy friday!

Hopefully a quick one for you here.

Im currently in the market for a new car, of which a brand new Ford Fusion Sport has caught my eye. Too give you some background, im a big car enthusiast, love motorsports ETC - and too that end,my current daily driver is modded all to hell, to the point where its, frankly, become a pain in the ass, spending at least one weekend a month in the garage working on the car is starting to get really old!

Frankly, I want to buy a new car, trouble and worry free and not have to pick up another wrench for the next 5+ years. This is where the doubt sets in... I see PTU Issues galore, having to change the PTU fluid every 10,15,20K miles (which i would have to do, not the dealer ide imagine, thus involving me working on my new car) - I've also heard issues of the V6 Eco having leaky turbos etc over time...  I understand the car is fun to drive and fast, but i need something reliable too. im sick of working on my cars and want to "retire" from the game, just pick up the keys and drive.

Is this car a bad decision?

Agentlongwood

If it's being bought brand new, then most of the worries don't matter too much.  They should be covered under warranty.  The Fusion Sport is cool, but I think the question is whether it's the best sporty/practical car for your price range. 

The Lincoln version is pretty awesome.  You can get the MKZ with all wheel drive and a 400hp turbo V6.  There is also the Cadillac CTS Vsport with the 420hp turbo V6.  Or go real crazy and get a 485hp Charger Scat Pack.  They start at $39k.  No idea if they actually go for MSRP.  If you want REALLLY reliable, then the new Camry V6 is 301hp.

I don't know a ton about the Fusion Sport besides the reviews.  It seems like a decent enough car.  Just saying there is a lot of competition.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

bpd1151

Want reliability and fun combined?

Scope out the new Hyundai Genesis G80 Sport Coupe in the 5.0 Ultimate Package.

Loaded to the gills. 420bhp. AWD. Big brakes. Exemplary interior. LED Lighting. Two separate info screens. Tech galore.

What a nice whip.

Joe87T

My price range ends at low to mid 30s,

Basically im cross shopping between the new Accord 2.0T, Camry, Fusion, VW Passat and Mazda 6

Fusion is the only one in the lineup that offers AWD, and is also the most powerful. But i am so sick of dealing with car crap that i cant even stand it anymore... My wife got a Toyota Rav4 and you could put a deadbolt on the hood of that thing for the next 100k miles and not lift a finger, literally talking about get in and drive dont touch crap. Im digging the fusion on paper but i dont want to be dicking around with a PTU 500 miles after the warranty is over.

bpd1151

Well, you likely will be with Fusion.

Lots of maintenance and upkeep is imperative to long term dependability.

If your top priority is not wanting to truly do "nothing", then steer towards one of the Imports. Honda or Toyota.

Damn near bulletproof.

StealBlueSho

If you want trouble free inexpensive maintenance stay the heck away from the VW vehicles... talking from experience...

BPD1151 is pretty spot on.. Toyota or Honda have good reputation for lasting even with sh!#ty maintenance..

SHOdded

The Fusion Hybrids are pretty bulletproof, but may not give your needs in the "fun" category.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Joe87T

You guys may not know this, but any idea if the 2017, 2018, 2019 ETC Ford Fusion's PTUs come with the built in drain plug? I think that was added on 2013+ Taurus SHOs,but dont know about other platforms.  that would make it less of a PITA i suppose.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

I am not sure if the Fusion Sport PTU has a drain plug or not.  My Continental does and it is also water cooled.  I suspect the Fusion Sport is the same but I don't know for sure.   In any case,  I don't think it would be much easier to change the fluid with a drain plug than simply sucking the old fluid out of the fill hole.

If you are an enthusiast, I don't know why you would want a car like a Camry which is about as boring as a Kenmore washing machine.   I would go for the Fusion Sport and not worry about it.   The powertrain warranty is 6 years and if you are really concerned about issues, you could purchase an extended warranty.  If you go with a used one, get a certified one that comes with a warranty.

griggs95

Quote from: Joe87T on April 06, 2018, 01:38:24 PM
My price range ends at low to mid 30s,

Basically im cross shopping between the new Accord 2.0T, Camry, Fusion, VW Passat and Mazda 6

Fusion is the only one in the lineup that offers AWD, and is also the most powerful. But i am so sick of dealing with car crap that i cant even stand it anymore... My wife got a Toyota Rav4 and you could put a deadbolt on the hood of that thing for the next 100k miles and not lift a finger, literally talking about get in and drive dont touch crap. Im digging the fusion on paper but i dont want to be dicking around with a PTU 500 miles after the warranty is over.

Joe, you got to be realistic about what you're asking for. You want it all but you can't have it. You are comparing a Rav 4 in this mix of being a car guy...who has fun driving a Rav 4 around? I get where you are coming from but anything fun will require a little bit of upkeep and 100k fluid intervals (even on a Rav 4) is not wise imo.

As long as you use top quality fluids, you won't have to change them often as you think. Unless you beat on your cars then more frequent intervals would be required. If you like driving and are an enthusiast, you will have to deal with this fact of more upkeep.

You also mentioned leaking turbos, but that is not the norm. You are focusing on very few SHO's that are doing this. It could happen, yes, but an ecm could fry too...etc. I've had fantastic luck with two turbo sho's so I hope this makes some sense.

EDIT: Joe, you said it yourself - "- and too that end,my current daily driver is modded all to hell, to the point where its, frankly, become a pain in the ass, spending at least one weekend a month in the garage working on the car is starting to get really old!"

With that said, just don't modify whatever you purchase next...problem solved.

2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

FoMoCoSHO

Might I suggest a lightly used SHO coupled with the biggest baddest Ford ESP warranty?

New cars are nice but ultimately a waste of money just to have something new.

mjhpadi

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 07, 2018, 02:59:17 PM
Might I suggest a lightly used SHO coupled with the biggest baddest Ford ESP warranty?

New cars are nice but ultimately a waste of money just to have something new.

I agree but I have the top warranty on my 2010 and the top extend Ford ESP costs me less than $500 yearly. Which I think is fairly reasonable.  But it may be because of the low mileage I drive the SHO, had it from new and just turned 42K...
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

bpd1151

Damn Mark..... a scant 42k on the clock?

I might be a tad bit jelly my friend. LOL.

That's like what? A tick over 5k per year?

mjhpadi

Quote from: bpd1151 on April 08, 2018, 04:48:19 PM
Damn Mark..... a scant 42k on the clock?

I might be a tad bit jelly my friend. LOL.

That's like what? A tick over 5k per year?

You are correct Mike. The car would still be under 40K had I gotten it as soon as the dealer got it.  But I was hunting for a SHO late in the 2010 production year and found this one that the dealer principle had been driving since it arrived so it had a little over 3600 miles on the clock when I took ownership so it would only be at approximately 38,500 miles.  And now that the 'Stang is in the stable it will be lucky to see 3K miles a year.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350