• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

After tune installed, how much "learning" time to optimize mpg?

Started by Ryan_Feagan, April 03, 2018, 07:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan_Feagan

I have 87, 91 & 93 perf/tow tune, and 87 eco tunes from 5*.

Is there a "ECU learning" period after loading new tunes, to get engine optimized and get best mpg?  IE, if i load a tune, will it take a tank or two of gas to get to optimized mpg?  

If I swap tunes every gas tank am I preventing my ECU from learning and optimizing?  

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

StinkinLinkin13

Yes. Everytime you load a new tune the KAM is cleared so it will basically begin the relearn/adapt process again. Generally 300-600 miles til its dialed in for your driving style/habits. It will always make smaller adjustments however for weather etc...
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

FoMoCoSHO

On my 2013 and 2015 a flash didn't clear the KAM, I had to go into special options and do it manually.

On the 2011 MKS it clears it sometimes, sometimes not.

If your fuel trims go to zero after the flash you know it cleared it.

StinkinLinkin13

Thats weird. I guess tuners can choose whether to clear it or not during the process? Seems counterproductive tho... Livernois advised me when I was having my issues saying to give it more time in between switching (trying) different tunes for that reason.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

FoMoCoSHO

Personally, I'd rather not clear the KAM.

80% dialed in after a flash is better than zero.

derfdog15

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 03, 2018, 02:41:44 PM
Personally, I'd rather not clear the KAM.

80% dialed in after a flash is better than zero.

Exactly. OEMs DO NOT completely zero out cals when they make hardware or software changes, they generally use the previous known good cal and dial it in from there. The range of adaptations available with the ecoboost system lends itself very well to this strategy. This is also a better approach with regards to fuel quality and learned OAR.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

AJP turbo

I really only ask people to clear the KAM if they are flashing a tune of mine for the first time if they had someone else's tune on the car or we are doing major fuel tuning and changes...That way I know the STFT's we see aren't a result of trying to compensate for some long term fuel learned values that I may or may not have any idea where they came from.

I want to know the LTFT's I see are a result from my tune....But that being said I see no place in the calibration to control whether the KAM is cleared on a reflash or not...That could be part of the equizzer I'm not really sure.

But I don't think it takes that long to maximize the learning...I think the trans functions benefits the most from more learning time.

OAR resets fairly quick and fuel economy is basically instantly maximized due to running closed loop all the time...AFR's are perfect all the time so if AFR's are running at commanded then MPG's won't get much better.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StinkinLinkin13

Good info. I guess it was also because I was trying different shift level firmness for my tunes. And octane levels...

derfdog15

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on April 03, 2018, 07:38:15 PM
Good info. I guess it was also because I was trying different shift level firmness for my tunes. And octane levels...

Going up in octane, you need to do a reset (or should), but thats if you had 87 on an 87 tune, then went to 91 and a 91 tune, etc. If you had say 93 in the tank but were running an 87 tune, you could just swap the tune up as long as its still 93 in the tank.

For the trans stuff, I def recommend relearning the trans when swapping tune type. From a performance tune to another rev of the same performance tune, no need IMO, but from say 87 tow to 93 performance or 87 mpg (ick, who tunes for mpg) to 93 performance def relearn the trans, and the other way as well.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car