• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lincoln Aviator and other Thursday FoMoCo thoughts

Started by EcoAbe, March 29, 2018, 11:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoAbe

Perhaps you saw the news yesterday that Lincoln is resurrecting the Aviator name plate with an almost production spec concept at the NY Auto Show. Personally I think the concept rocks and is a very well rounded combination of everything Lincoln offers right now. Basically a mini navigator, the new Aviator will share a platform with the new Explorer which is has been speculated to move back to a rwd based platform with 4x4 capabilities like the pre-2011 Explorer... Aviator replaces the MKT, which also shares its D3 platform with FLEX/Taurus/MKS/Explorer. With this outdated platform being phased out, it sounds like the Flex and MKT will be eliminated from the lineup after MY 2020, while the Explorer will move to the new platform shared with Aviator.

Does anyone know if the PI Taurus will remain in production? I am sure the police will love a RWD Explorer pursuit vehicle with 4x4 capabilities when needed like the Tahoe cruisers.

I also heard that an "Explorer ST" will complement the new Edge ST which is hypothesized to be powered by the 3.0 TT Lincoln motor in place of the 3.5 eb. Although the 3.0 TT was supposed to remain proprietary to Lincoln, due to smaller displacement and ability to return stronger fuel economy, I have heard it may come to Ford next to get more exposure. Lincoln hasn't released engine displacement or specs for the Aviator yet, but I would think the 2.7 TT would be the logical entry level spec and the 3.0 TT will serve as a great candidate for Black Label as Lincoln moves away from n/a. Who knows about the hybrid though... it is very likely the hybrid Aviator will make it production. With the refreshed MKZ touting the 2.0, 3.0 or 2.0 hybrid, and the departure of the MKT from the lineup, the only naturally aspirated engine left in Lincoln's lineup will be the 3.7 standard Continental option by MY 2019. Everything else is either turbo'd or hybridized and with a speculated Continental refresh for 2021, my money is on a full turbo lineup with the introduction of more HEV capabilities in the next two years.

Considering the MKX (now deemed Nautilus) will enter the segment with a single turbo four cylinder with the 2.7 TT as a likely upgrade, and the Navigator comes standard with the 3.5 eb 450hp Raptor engine as the sole option, the Aviator, which falls in between these two vehicles in terms of options capabilities and specs, has to have an engine that also falls somewhere in between.

More Aviator Photos:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-lincoln-aviator-first-look-review/

Interesting Continental News as it was recently reported that the E Class Mercedes outsold the Lincoln 5:1 last year. It is likely the Continental won't see as much "success" in 2018 selling the Continental and it does not help that nobody wants luxury sedans right now:
https://jalopnik.com/the-lincoln-continental-is-getting-suicide-doors-repor-1824071245

So that is what's going on in my brain today.
2015 Bronze Fire Non PP w/ 401a package

markssho

Lincoln seems to be on a role lately.
I too love the looks of this Aviator.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

2010 Taurus SHO, Cinnamon, 402B, ACC