• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3.5L Ecoboost swap in process - 2016 F150 to 1972 Bronco

Started by kdmport, March 26, 2018, 03:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdmport

Hi all,

In process - thanks in advance for helpful responses!

bpd1151

PDSHO

2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost

SHOdded

Should be doable.  Has been swapped into an F100 (1966?) before.  There is a build thread on the interwebz about it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

kdmport

That F100 thread helped me take the plunge on the Eco vs Coyote - pretty impressive.

1st is old vs new tech - original 302 and 3-speed vs 2016 F150 3.5L GTDI, 6R80, and BW 4469.
2nd shoe-horning this into the Bronco frame and figuring out driveline angles - this combo is looooooong.

SHOdded

Would a shortened driveshaft be enough, or is the trans tunnel an issue as well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

kdmport

New, shorter drive shaft rear, longer front, is a sure thing.  I'm moving the rear axle back 2" and have the motor mounted as low as possible.  In fact I now have to move the front pumpkin leftward to clear the oil pan with a custom front diff.  I may still have to notch the aluminum pan anyway...  I may try that first on a salvage piece to see if I can notch around the pickup.

kdmport

Engine is running.  I decided to re-use the F150 battery junction box (fuse box) so it took a while to understand all the wiring.  There were plenty of 'extra' relays so I saved some money buying an aftermarket panel and fuses.

I got lucky on the first try starting this thing - was actually surprised when it fired up...

It took a while on the BJB and waiting for my custom fuel tank.  I had to make a bracket for the original F150 fuel pump and in-tank filter which I am re-using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeAyd3K9LLU

SHOdded

Macgyver

Quote from: kdmport on April 18, 2018, 05:50:50 PM
Engine is running.  I decided to re-use the F150 battery junction box (fuse box) so it took a while to understand all the wiring.  There were plenty of 'extra' relays so I saved some money buying an aftermarket panel and fuses.

I got lucky on the first try starting this thing - was actually surprised when it fired up...

It took a while on the BJB and waiting for my custom fuel tank.  I had to make a bracket for the original F150 fuel pump and in-tank filter which I am re-using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeAyd3K9LLU

Totally awesome !!! That rats nest on the table is amazing. !!!

kdmport

Haha - thanks.  I will clean that up, just needed to troubleshoot any problems.  That twin turbo spool up sound is pretty addictive.  Next issue is oil pan to front axle clearance.  The oil pan on this thing is HUGE and low.