• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MIR 3/25/18

Started by StealBlueSho, March 25, 2018, 01:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Skydogs on March 27, 2018, 06:37:11 PM
How old are they?

almost freaking new... maybe 5K miles old at MOST...

Brucelinc

Those are summer tires.  Unless you get them hot, they won't hook.   They are worthless when cool.  If the temps were in the 40s, I am surprised you were as fast as you were.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Brucelinc on March 27, 2018, 06:47:08 PM
Those are summer tires.  Unless you get them hot, they won't hook.   They are worthless when cool.  If the temps were in the 40s, I am surprised you were as fast as you were.

I am contemplating get the continental DWS06's... I have suspected the tires being a problem for some time... those are the only tires I have ever run at the track with this car...

And with our AWD system I can't get them hot...

For this platform, seems like all season performance tires would be the best bet? The Comp 2's are a super soft compound though so I thought that would be better... guess not?

Skydogs

Yeah he is right about the cold temps and a summer tire. I run these and they stick hard! I will track in 2 weeks.
https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/pilot-sport-a-s-3
Boost and meth life!!
13 SHO PP  Meth tuned by AJP Turbo!!!!
610" Merlin 8.3 whipple on Meth 1,300 HP Pump gas
17 Thunder Cat 300 HP Tuned
17 X3 Can-am 200 HP Tuned

Brucelinc

Quote from: Skydogs on March 27, 2018, 09:01:01 PM
Yeah he is right about the cold temps and a summer tire. I run these and they stick hard! I will track in 2 weeks.

The tires you are running have a great reputation with the Mustang folks, too.   

Brucelinc

Quote from: Skydogs on March 27, 2018, 09:01:01 PM

Summer tires are fine on RWD cars where you can do a burn-out and get them hot.  They are also good for running on a road course where you can get them hot in a lap or two.   For drag racing an AWD vehicle, especially in cool temps, they are NOT optimal.   While they may be a softer compound, they get hard as concrete in cool temps.   They really need heat to work properly.   They have been known to crack when driven in temps below 20 degrees or so and should not even be driven on the street in cold temps.

My Mustang had summer tires on it when I got it.   I could downshift to 3rd at 70 MPH and spin them on cold dry pavement.  1st gear was useless - nothing but spinning.  2nd was hardly any better.   I sold the damn things and put on some all-season BFG Comp 2 A/S.   100% improvement.   

bamsho

The Firehawk Indy 500s I bought seem to work very well.  I driven her in below freezing and surprised how well it drove.  They hook well at the track.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

Brucelinc

Quote from: bamsho on March 28, 2018, 01:49:15 PM
The Firehawk Indy 500s I bought seem to work very well.  I driven her in below freezing and surprised how well it drove.  They hook well at the track.

Those also have a good reputation with the Mustang guys.

lamrith

Have you launched hard on cold days?  This tire is on my short list, actually I have pretty much narrowed down to it when I need to replace tires. 
But a large potion of the year here is in that 35-50*f range and raining, so hearing how summer tires are so bad in cold is giving me pause.  My car is a year round DD, thankfully we do not really get snow here more than 1-2days a year.

Quote from: Brucelinc on March 28, 2018, 09:20:17 AM
My Mustang had summer tires on it when I got it.   I could downshift to 3rd at 70 MPH and spin them on cold dry pavement.  1st gear was useless - nothing but spinning.  2nd was hardly any better.   I sold the damn things and put on some all-season BFG Comp 2 A/S.   100% improvement.   
How is the noise with them?  The Summer version is/was my #2 choice after the Firehawks, but I am concerned about the reports that they are noisey.  Sounds like they hold well for you, how is cornering?  I do not track or road course, but enjoy laying into a corner when possible.  One cloverleaf I run routinely is long and smooth so I can really modulate speed and turn rate thru it.  The tires I have now I can very much feel the sidewalls roll over when I push it.

It would be interesting to see SBS try the Comp-2 A/S and how they compare.  Knowing him and Brad's tunes though, might not be any tires that will hold with the power being throw at them.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

bamsho

Noise reallt isn't bad, and driving in rain, I've been very pleased.  I have the summer versions on my car now, but mine isn't a daily driver.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

Brucelinc

The exhaust on my Mustang is loud enough to drown out most tire noise but the BFG Comp 2 A/S are definitely noisier than the Pirellis that came on the car.  They ride better and hook better but they have a growl to them for sure.  I really don't mind that on the Mustang but I wouldn't like much noise on an otherwise quiet car like an SHO.

lamrith

Quote from: Brucelinc on March 28, 2018, 04:37:02 PM
The exhaust on my Mustang is loud enough to drown out most tire noise but the BFG Comp 2 A/S are definitely noisier than the Pirellis that came on the car.  They ride better and hook better but they have a growl to them for sure.  I really don't mind that on the Mustang but I wouldn't like much noise on an otherwise quiet car like an SHO.
Exactly what I was looking to hear.  If the A/S are that noisey, the Summer tires must howl. 
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

derfdog15

Quote from: lamrith on March 28, 2018, 03:18:53 PM
Have you launched hard on cold days?  This tire is on my short list, actually I have pretty much narrowed down to it when I need to replace tires. 
But a large potion of the year here is in that 35-50*f range and raining, so hearing how summer tires are so bad in cold is giving me pause.  My car is a year round DD, thankfully we do not really get snow here more than 1-2days a year.

How is the noise with them?  The Summer version is/was my #2 choice after the Firehawks, but I am concerned about the reports that they are noisey.  Sounds like they hold well for you, how is cornering?  I do not track or road course, but enjoy laying into a corner when possible.  One cloverleaf I run routinely is long and smooth so I can really modulate speed and turn rate thru it.  The tires I have now I can very much feel the sidewalls roll over when I push it.

It would be interesting to see SBS try the Comp-2 A/S and how they compare.  Knowing him and Brad's tunes though, might not be any tires that will hold with the power being throw at them.

I ran the Comp 2 A/S and it honestly wasnt that noisy, but I also am used to loud from exhaust/tires from my mustang. I couldn't hear anything but exhaust once I did that on the SHO. I wasn't running Meth, so my AJP tune wasnt as hopped up as SBS, but I never had an issue with the power levelin the sig (ran 12.89 @ 107  on the Comp 2 A/S. I didn't even adjust tire pressure on them. I never got to see what it would truley run once I did the wastegate mod for the throttle control, and cranked it up a little past that 12.89, since I broke something at the track. It did run a 12.8x with the log showing that it dumped boost at about 3/4 track, so would have been a better run without that.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Brucelinc

I ran the Comp 2 A/S and it honestly wasnt that noisy, but I also am used to loud from exhaust/tires from my mustang.
[/quote]

I agree they are not too bad on a car with exhaust mods.   Mustangs don't have as much sound deadening as an SHO, either.   I notice more tire noise with the BFGs than I did the Pirellis P zeros but it is not objectionable at all on a car like the Mustang.  They may be fine on an SHO with its additional insulation and if the SHO has exhaust mods, the additional noise may not be bad at all.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 29, 2018, 08:57:27 AM
Quote from: lamrith on March 28, 2018, 03:18:53 PM

I ran the Comp 2 A/S and it honestly wasnt that noisy, but I also am used to loud from exhaust/tires from my mustang. I couldn't hear anything but exhaust once I did that on the SHO. I wasn't running Meth, so my AJP tune wasnt as hopped up as SBS, but I never had an issue with the power levelin the sig (ran 12.89 @ 107  on the Comp 2 A/S. I didn't even adjust tire pressure on them. I never got to see what it would truley run once I did the wastegate mod for the throttle control, and cranked it up a little past that 12.89, since I broke something at the track. It did run a 12.8x with the log showing that it dumped boost at about 3/4 track, so would have been a better run without that.

To be honest the SLOWEST I have ever run since tracking it was 12.6. So I don't have a good grasp on how the car would hook with a milder tune. I know it dead hooked at captial Raceway with the LMS tune.

Never ran Torries... I ran BCB at Sumerduck and it hooked well.. ran 8.1 in the 1/8.. but stopped using their tune when it ran lean and I had audible pinging. (Going 1.14 lambda when in the middle of the boost spike in 3rd will do that...)

Brads has the most upside if I can get it to hook... but I have been saying that for a year lol... based on the logs from the different tuners Brad ramps up the boost faster than the others... he is making some tweaks...

I wanna see what happens if we bring the ramp up of boost down a bit if that helps before dumping $1K in tires...

We will see...