• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lightweight wheel recommendations?

Started by Agentlongwood, March 26, 2018, 11:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I'm not really a fan of the factory Lincoln MKS Ecoboost wheels.  Anyone have any recommendations or positive experiences with wheels that are a good bit lighter?  Not looking to mount crazy wide tires, I'll probably stick to factory size.  But I'd like to find some lighter wheels, that look decent, and preferably don't cost a small fortune.  If it isn't obvious I'm not really into wheels, so I don't really know where to look, and which brands are good and which are garbage.  Side note: if I do get new ones, is there any market at all for the factory Lincoln wheels should I decide to sell them?
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Colorado-SHOBro

All about budget and style preference with wheels. You may find some that look great to you but are heavier than you want or some that are light and look good but are too expensive.
Gotta decide your priorities or scour the web until you find the perfect balance of weight/style/price.
This is what i decided on:
https://konigwheels.com/wheels/flow-formed-wheels/interform/
@ the time i got the wheels for ~$650 shipped for the full set.
21.5lbs so 10lbs/corner less than stock wheels

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Gjkrisa

Quote from: Agentlongwood on March 26, 2018, 11:02:28 PM
I'm not really a fan of the factory Lincoln MKS Ecoboost wheels.  Anyone have any recommendations or positive experiences with wheels that are a good bit lighter?  Not looking to mount crazy wide tires, I'll probably stick to factory size.  But I'd like to find some lighter wheels, that look decent, and preferably don't cost a small fortune.  If it isn't obvious I'm not really into wheels, so I don't really know where to look, and which brands are good and which are garbage.  Side note: if I do get new ones, is there any market at all for the factory Lincoln wheels should I decide to sell them?
Tirerack is a great place to start you can filter by weight usually the super light ones are quality made rims.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

MeanKS

Quote from: Agentlongwood on March 26, 2018, 11:02:28 PM
here's what happened when i brought new wheels.

i went more for style than for weight savings, if you go too lite there will be wheel hop.  CARID was a great web resource for finding the wheels you want.  i settled on Verde Saga wheels in satin black finish.  i ended up finding the best price on Amazon for those, so i would suggest once you settle on what wheels you want; check other places to see where you can get the best price.  i also completely trust Amazon and know they have a great return policy.

i waited till i got the new wheels and had them mounted and balanced, then i sold my old ones.  the OEM lincoln wheels are very high quality and there was definitely a market for them.  i placed mine on here in the for sale section and on ebay.  an ebay buyer came through first.  i ended up selling them for $800.00 (including shipping).  i used the packaging from my new wheels to ship the old ones, using Fedex (cheapest i could find at the time).

everything worked out great.  the old wheels were a quality set and very substantial/heavy, but produced a very smooth/creamy ride (along with the OEM Michelin tires). my new wheels (along with a set of Yokohamas) were a tad lighter and allowed more vibration to come through the cabin and the driver seat, which i call 'feel'.  steering feel improved and the car just felt sportier to me.  i also put on 255-45/20 tires and suggest that to anyone getting new tires, the slightly increased width seems to improve handling and steering feel.  that size is usually cheaper as well.

i actually really liked the look of the OEM wheels for my year MKS, i just wanted black or dark grey/gunmetal color.  i looked into getting them powder coated, but that was like $400 per wheel, which i thought was crazy expensive.

MKS-EB...

Agentlongwood

Those do look quite nice... and I like the blacked trim around the windows.  Thanks for posting pics, I appreciate it.  Both you and Colorado.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

5ohSHO

I picked up a set of Advanti DST HY Hybris. They're nice and weigh 21lbs per wheel. They are on the spendy side though.