• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Time has come to do front brakes on the 13' PP.

Started by Vortech347, March 23, 2018, 01:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortech347

I have a 13' with the PP and 49k miles.  Few quick questions... 

#1.  Do the factory rotors have enough meat on them to handle being turned?  If this were a car I tracked and auto-x'd I wouldn't turn, but as a daily, I'm not worried about it.

#2.  If not turnable, were is the best place to source the vented hub design OEM rotors.  I've heard they have been discontinued?  I absolutely want the vented hub ones.

#3.  Since I have the PP I'd like to get the same specific compound that was stock.  I think it worked well for my driving style.   Looks like those are still in production correct?

Thanks!!
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

Bronco2fan

The rotors on these things are pretty stout so if they're not jacked up they probably can be turned.  Dealerships have all the stock replacements available for them too. You can also try Rockauto as they sell Fomoco parts as well. Lots of brake parts available for this platform. stock and after market.
2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

ZSHO

The rotors with the inverted cooling vanes are no longer produced IIRC but the the brake pads should have the same formulation AFAIK!

The 13+PP Brake pad part numbers are listed below.  Z

FRONT

DG1Z2001F Brake Pads

REAR

DG1Z2200B Brake Pads

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

LostnEye

I did front brakes a few months ago and the new motorcraft rotors do not have vented hubs
2013 Tuxedo Black/Mayan Grey PP, GH AO, GH IC, H&Rs, AD mounts

SilvererSHO

What do you guys mean when you say "vented hubs"?
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

maybe they got better heat dissipation from more iron than from the cooling vanes?  or some other issue like rust or mfr'ing cost?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

derfdog15

Just looking at them, the previous version isnt as structurally sound, and manufacturing would be a more expensive process due to tooling. Both the previous and new version are 'vented' rotors though, which is all you should be worried about. You can see in both cases the vents in the actual rotors (not the stuff at the hub). Go with the current production part and be done with it.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Vortech347

Thanks for the info.  I'll get the pads on the way and keep my fingers crossed I can turn the rotors.

Any aftermarket companies that make the vented hub rotors?  I looked on RockAuto and some have photos of the rotors being hub vented.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

FoMoCoSHO

5ohSHO

I got my pads and rotors from NAPA and they gave me vented hub fronts. I didn't specifically ask for them so if you go there you might want to ask first. This was several months ago.

ZSHO

I guess you can still find some of the original rotors floating around,but make certain the part number is DG1Z-1125-C which later was revised to GG1Z-1125-A . Z

SHOdded

The revision numbers actually went backwards, or ...?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on March 25, 2018, 08:26:02 AM
The revision numbers actually went backwards, or ...?
The part numbers get more confusing by the day! Dunno. Z  :(

DG1Z-1125-C
Base No.   1125
Part Description   ROTOR ASY
Service Part May Differ From Production

Require Quantity   2
Package Quantity   1
Replaced By   GG1Z-1125-A

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-rotor-asy_dg1z-1125-c.html?Vin=1FAHP2KT5DG183206&Filter=()&Location=front-brake-discs-and-calipers,,1125

derfdog15

Ford chances the First letter (in this case D to G) in the part numbers when they make later revisions. hence DG1Z to GG1Z from old to new. Just means there were a few extra changes/revisions between the two since it didn't go D to E
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car