• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Looks like I need a new PTU....

Started by glock-coma, March 20, 2018, 03:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubcitySHO

I would drill and tap for the drain plug before installing it on the car. 

Did it come pre-filled?
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

glock-coma

Quote from: dubcitySHO on March 31, 2018, 03:34:08 PM
I would drill and tap for the drain plug before installing it on the car. 

Did it come pre-filled?
It's supposed to come prefilled. I will confirm before installation.
I considered tapping before but I want to shake this new one out for a few miles to make sure it's not going to fail. Once I drill it my 2 year warranty goes out the window.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

glock-coma

The old one is out. Half way there, still waiting on some parts so the new one won't go in for at least a few days.

polskifacet

Wow i should consider myself lucky then. My Ptu has fallen apart once (the rear flange loosened). Was able to buy a new flange/seal from dealer and guesstimated how tight it was supposed to be (preload). 88k and its still going but you can hear a constant whine while driving and it sounds like a supercharger when I floor it LOL.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SHOdded

Your PTU is for a Perf Pk SHO.  OF COURSE it is supercharged!!!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

A little progress today, new one is installed. Still need a flex pipe but I got all the gaskets needed in the mail today.
While I was waiting for my trans fluid to drain I decided to open up the damaged ptu....I was not expecting so much destruction.
Notice how clean the interior is, no sludge or burnt fluid.
One of the bearings completely disintegrated chewing up most of the gears.

SHOdded

That is some carnage!  Probably a design failure that theoretically is corrected by the G revision.  What was the revision on the old PTU?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Quote from: SHOdded on April 10, 2018, 01:51:42 AM
That is some carnage!  Probably a design failure that theoretically is corrected by the G revision.  What was the revision on the old PTU?
The old one was revision D
according to the work order from 5/2013

SHOdded

jmr061

IDK if this is new or not...if it isn't new, I wasn't aware they make a repair kit for the PTU...

Apr 11 2018  6329 - 2007-2016 Various Vehicles - All Wheel Drive (AWD) - Propane Or Natural Gas Odor During Idle Or Low Speed Driving - Built On Or Before 30-Jun-2016

Some 2007-2016 Edge/MKX/Flex/MKT/MKZ/MKS/Taurus/Police Interceptor Sedan/Explorer/Police Interceptor Utility vehicles equipped with AWD and built on or before 30-Jun-2016 may exhibit a propane or natural gas odor during idle or low speed driving. This may be due to break down of the power transfer unit (PTU) fluid caused by excessive heat. If the source of the odor is identified as originating from the PTU, an idler bearing repair kit is available to repair the PTU.
Jason
16 Edge Sport

glock-coma

The part number for this kit is
GB5Z-7P258-A it's approx $315

I have a family member that works at a dealer, I'll see if he can order and take pics of the kit to see what's included.

ZSHO

I truly appreciate this very informative Topic provided by Glock-coma and hopefully you get your SHO running better than ever in no time. 
Best of luck!  Z   :thumb:

PTU & FTP Sensor.Pdf

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiMDRVVDhUUE9DRlN5TlAxWW5FX1picnE5SlNj/view?usp=sharing

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

She's back up and running, been about a week since I completed the install.
Didn't want to post to early and jinx it lol.

No leaks, but she needs an alignment again.
I had to remove the right strut/knuckle assembly.

Also tried to do a lot of heat mitigation to prevent or slow down future issues.
Wrapped the new stock down pipes and applied some
Reflective heat barrier on the ptu in strategic locations.

I'm working on gather all my part numbers and pictures
I'll attempt a "how to" but it might be awhile before I can complete it. 

SHOdded

Noicely done, and I am sure the effort will pay off bigtime.

Twintrbskies

Nice Job! I did the same kind of thing with my truck after having long tube headers on for a few years. Trans was getting hot so I wrapped the pipes and it has solved the issue since. Looking forward to the "How to"!         
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

2010 SHO non-PP, pearl white, Alky Controls Methanol kit-100% meth, tuned with Ortiz Performance, XDI-35, DW300C LPFP, E85, 3-Bar, K&N Drop-In, 160 T-stat, JLT Catch can, Stainless works Catless downpipes, Rear muffler delete with Borla Tips. (not currently using the methanol)