• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Looks like I need a new PTU....

Started by glock-coma, March 20, 2018, 03:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glock-coma

Currently at 56k.
A few weeks ago she started acting weird, sluggish when coasting, intermittent click when starting from a stop.

I thought I had a sticking caliper....until I smelled the propane/natural gas stench of death.  No puking at all on top of the case.

I immediately changed the ptu fluid again (changed at 53k with royal purple) with amsoil severe gear.
Drove about 25 miles with zero issues pulled out of the drive and it sounded like a dryer with marbles in it.
Removed the plug to check for contaminants.

Here's what I wiped off the plug

The fluid looked like someone spilled a bottle of glitter in it.

I'll be replacing myself just need to figure out which ptu revision part number has the drain and fill plug. 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Cole.C

>.< careful where you go replaced my ptu in my 13' Taurus last fall before parking the car lol dealership had quoted me at 1850 ish and I went to the next cheapest place I found a local mechanic out of nearby town thinking I had found a good deal since it was 200$ less than the dealership.. had gotten charged 1650 with the ptu core..  ptu was 830 ish from dealer with 24k 2yr warranty ordered through that shop. While remodeling a mechanic shop/used dealership in December After letting them know how much I paid for that job I was teased a good bit. Most it would of taken them was a hour and a half. I was charged for 4 hours labor got ripped off bad.. would of payed less than 1100 at my now new mechanics shop I'll be heading to from now on..  either way lesson is careful where you go to get the job done, Best of luck!
Also don't listen to that weird BS estimate program a lot of mechanics use.  Mechanic out of the local shop I had gone to was very pushy about how the program could accurately estimate almost "any job for almost any car".. too many money hungry mechanics out there..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

glock-coma

Fortunately I do my own repair work unless it's beyond my capabilities.
This doesn't seem like it's that difficult of a job. I just want to make sure I have everything needed to complete it once I start and the most current PTU with drain plug.

I don't drive the SHO daily, so I can take my time. It's already on jack stands in the garage with kroil soaking the exhaust bolts.
Now it's time to gather parts and info so I do this right the first time.

Cole.C

Quote from: glock-coma on March 20, 2018, 04:59:49 PM
Fortunately I do my own repair work unless it's beyond my capabilities.
This doesn't seem like it's that difficult of a job. I just want to make sure I have everything needed to complete it once I start and the most current PTU with drain plug.

I don't drive the SHO daily, so I can take my time. It's already on jack stands in the garage with kroil soaking the exhaust bolts.
Now it's time to gather parts and info so I do this right the first time.
Nice! best to save $ where you can! I guess putting  Mechanic who did my ptu failed to mention me while your done there you might as well replace the cheap ptu vent tube.. need to have that done this spring before I put to many miles on the new ptu..  good luck with the job!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Sorry to see this, glock, but since you already had to have the RDU done, this is not a surprise, to be frank.  the RDU is supposed to outlive the PTU by a WIDE margin, LOL.

Maybe a PTU from a 2013+ Flex would work, they have drain plugs.  But I think the cooled/monitored ptus have drain plugs, so you would be getting the whole shebang.  With any luck you can take off the cooling part, and fashion an adapter plate to cover the hole left behind and get on with your life.

Amsoil ONLY please.  Or BND fluid like FoMoCo uses from time to time ;)

DG1Z-7251-F
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2015-Ford-Lincoln-Power-Take-Off-Transfer-Case-Assembly-new-OEM/263087298190
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Quote from: SHOdded on March 20, 2018, 05:24:01 PM
Sorry to see this, glock, but since you already had to have the RDU done, this is not a surprise, to be frank.  the RDU is supposed to outlive the PTU by a WIDE margin, LOL.

Maybe a PTU from a 2013+ Flex would work, they have drain plugs.  But I think the cooled/monitored ptus have drain plugs, so you would be getting the whole shebang.  With any luck you can take off the cooling part, and fashion an adapter plate to cover the hole left behind and get on with your life.

Amsoil ONLY please.  Or BND fluid like FoMoCo uses from time to time ;)

DG1Z-7251-F
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2015-Ford-Lincoln-Power-Take-Off-Transfer-Case-Assembly-new-OEM/263087298190
I had the ptu replaced @26 k under warranty, they couldn't find the cause for a vibration at highway speed  so they just started replacing parts... so this one only had almost exactly 30k on it.

SHOdded

That is lifetime .. For a police interceptor LOL
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

Order PTU cooler kit DG1Z-7K177-A for PTU cooler repairs.

Part Number    Part Description
DG1Z-7K177-A    PTU Cooler Kit

The kit contains the cooler, gasket, fasteners, and instruction sheet.

glock-coma

So I can't find any physical difference between these 2.

The one with the fill and drain is listed for a flex,
Part number DA8Z-7251-B

And the back view

This was confirmed as the most current ford part number for my vin. It does not have a drain plug.
AT4Z-7251-G

Back view

Any idea if the 2 are compatible?

SHOdded

No idea, but doesn't make sense they would be different parts if the axles and seals are the same.  May be just a cataloguing difference?

glock-coma

I ordered the AT4Z-7251-G today from Fairway ford on eBay.
I couldn't confirm the drain plug, but it's the only one I'm 100% positive it will fit the 2010

It's the lowest price I can find and still be somewhat local.
$670 shipped plus got $53 eBay bucks with their 8% promotion going on.

I was torn due the warranty from ford, you have to buy it from an "authorized ford parts distributor " to get the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

I found several cheaper vendors but they were not authorized distributors.
I'll update once it arrives.

SHOdded

good luck, hoping it works out perfect!

StealBlueSho

I would be interested in knowing if it has the drain plug as well? Its just a matter of time I am guessing before I am in the same boat! Although it would be completely awesome if you documented the process with pictures and detail write up along with your contact information and address so when I need mine done I know where to drop it off. how to do it myself!

glock-coma

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 29, 2018, 08:47:41 PM
I would be interested in knowing if it has the drain plug as well? Its just a matter of time I am guessing before I am in the same boat! Although it would be completely awesome if you documented the process with pictures and detail write up along with your contact information and address so when I need mine done I know where to drop it off. how to do it myself!
Supposedly the newer ptu's have a full face thrust washer that prevents the bearings from walking. But I haven't confirmed that all of them get it, just the PI's

Pulled this from shoforum.

This from the current August 2016 issue of "Police Fleet Manager Magazine".

Power Takeoff Units
The power takeoff unit (PTU) has been a service concern on some PI Utilities. There may be an excessive oil smell when driving, the AWD may not work properly, or the PTU housing may be cracked, leaking or noisy. The cause of the PTU damage is the excessive torque loading of the idler gear, which causes the bearing to walk (move) into the housing.
In January 2014, a Full Face Thrust Washer, FFTW, was introduced. This new washer was designed to prevent the idler bearing from walking into the aluminum case. In October 2015, a second change was made, in this case a loose-fit idler bearing. In dynamometer tests, this bearing design change showed a twice life improvement over the FFTW design.
In June 2016, a third change was made. In this case, a new bearing design, one without drawn cups, was installed. This eliminated the walk mode of damage. Dyno testing shows a three to four times improvement over the FFTW design. For both the PI Utility and PI Sedan, the PTU is covered under the limited powertrain warranty. All Ford Police Interceptors come standard with a five-year/100,000-mile Extended Service Plan for the powertrain.

glock-coma

New ptu was just delivered.

Still no drain plug:( will probably end up drilling/tapping a drain @ the first fluid change.

It was packaged 1/24/18 so I have to think it's the most recent design.

Still looking for downpipes, but I'll probably start installing this late Sunday /Monday.