• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Need a bit of help with catch can details.

Started by Agentlongwood, March 19, 2018, 08:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I picked up an awesome catch can from ZSHO (thanks again man, you rock!), and now I'm getting into hooking the thing up.  I bought the kit incomplete to save a few bucks, and I've run into a couple issues.  The kits on the RX website have what look like barb fittings on the top of the can.  The one I bought has a fitting type that I am not familiar with.  Call me dumb, but I've never used this type of connector before. 

Anyone know what size lines these require?  I tried test fitting a section of clear 3/8" inside 1/2" outside diameter hose and that seems to fit... But any 3/8" fuel tubing I find has too thick an outside diameter to fit in the section of these suckers that I removed in the second pic.  I'm tempted to leave that piece off and jam the lines onto the threaded section and put a clamp on it.  Is that too awful? 

Second issue.  What size hose connects to the PCV fittings on the valve cover and intake manifold?  I've seen some sources say 1/2" and some say 5/8".  I can't cut the hose off of my PCV fittings to test fit because I need to keep driving the car around town to buy the hoses and fittings, lol.  Once I have all the pieces I need, I can get the install done, all in one shot.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Agentlongwood

This dude just used 1/2" hose for everything.  No need to go to 3/8" or use 5/8"s for the PCV connectors.  It is on an ecoboost F-150 though.  Are the PCV connectors different size on that application? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6h_FOzFMcs&t=1737s

ZSHO

Glad it made it safe and sound..  :) The connectors are top of the line upgraded con which are compatible with steel braided hoses IIRC..
I will provide you with some more info soon.  Z
Here are some helpful links below..

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2536.0.html

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-pcv-hose-aa5z6c658b

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Agentlongwood

Safe and sound for sure.  I actually laughed when I saw how well packaged they were, with the inflatable cushion wrap, lol.  As for the links, I've been reading that forum post a lot.  It threw me off since his connectors on top of the can look totally different.  I had a brain fart staring at the pics going "how in the hell..." before I realized the fittings were different, lol.  And he definitely uses the 5/8" sections to connect to the PCV plugs, while the youtube video I linked uses 1/2".  I wonder if they are different sizes or if you can just make it work with either size of hose.  The 1/2" does look a good bit more snug than the 5/8". 

Also, it is total BS that the Explorer gets that handy-dandy mounting plate.  That does not exist on the MKS. 

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Agentlongwood

Ah, thank you sir.  I've never worked with AN fittings.  Braided lines and AN fittings seem like they may be a bit overkill, for a PCV system.  I'm looking into whether I can use the 1/2" hose for all the PCV connectors.  If so I'll probably do that, to eliminate the need for reducers and short sections of off-size hose.  Now I'm off to find a mounting location.  It's a pain in the butt on the MKS.  The can is too tall to mount in the usual location by the passenger shock tower, and the MKS doesn't have the handy mounting plate above the radiator that the Explorer has... Time to get creative, lol.