• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Knock Sensors stopped responding and OAR reset

Started by StealBlueSho, March 18, 2018, 09:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Weird one today... I was driving around town and everything was working great but on my way back from the last stop I noticed the SHO was noticeably down on power.. I look over at my SCT device to check the vitals and saw the the knock sensor PID was stuck at 0 and wasn't adding any spark..

Rolled through and checked my OAR which is always pegged at -.96 and noticed it was stuck at 0 as well... checked my spark and realized I was missing a ton of it.. and the knock sensors weren't working..

Get home, turn the car off, and then turn it back on a bit later to go to the store again... (You never make just ONE trip to homedepot...).. Knock sensors are working again but my OAR got reset..

Really weird... I have no clue what happened... not liking the random non-reporting of the knock sensors.. at all... 

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

check the knock sensor wiring?  pest issues?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Did it again today.... need to get the battery checked... gonna flash down to the LMS tune for now until I get this straightened out...

I have noticed lately it is idling a little rough and when the fans kick on it idles even rougher...

Skydogs

Sounds like a battery,  fans draw a lot and sounds like battery is struggling with any kind of load. Good luck man
Boost and meth life!!
13 SHO PP  Meth tuned by AJP Turbo!!!!
610" Merlin 8.3 whipple on Meth 1,300 HP Pump gas
17 Thunder Cat 300 HP Tuned
17 X3 Can-am 200 HP Tuned

dubcitySHO

Mine never had an issue with the OAR resetting but I did get an intermittently rough idle when my battery was on its way out.

I need to grab a datalog as my knock sensors are pulling almost 5 degrees in 3rd gear.  Also noticed my car was seriously down on power and that would be my culprit.  Suspected had gas.  OAR is still @ -0.96 though so IDK....
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

StealBlueSho

Quote from: dubcitySHO on March 19, 2018, 07:45:04 PM
Mine never had an issue with the OAR resetting but I did get an intermittently rough idle when my battery was on its way out.

I need to grab a datalog as my knock sensors are pulling almost 5 degrees in 3rd gear.  Also noticed my car was seriously down on power and that would be my culprit.  Suspected had gas.  OAR is still @ -0.96 though so IDK....

I think Brad used to have his tunes set to pull 2 degrees of spark for every +1 of KR... so if you are pulling 5 degrees of, then you are probably on seeing around +2.5 KR which wouldn't be enough to move OAR.. anything over +4 or higher should start to raise OAR..

If its something new, then its probably bad gas, if you have some E85 nearby you could throw a gallon or so into it so see if it stabilizes it.

Yea, my idle has been rough lately...

dubcitySHO

Thanks for the info Stealblue.  I'm not trying to thread jack but I do appreciate the insight.

I saw +4.5KR briefly.  I thought that was 4.5 degrees total.
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

StealBlueSho

Quote from: dubcitySHO on March 19, 2018, 07:56:44 PM
Thanks for the info Stealblue.  I'm not trying to thread jack but I do appreciate the insight.

I saw +4.5KR briefly.  I thought that was 4.5 degrees total.

Depends on how he has your tune setup.. that could be as much as 9 degrees pulled... Brad is aggressive on pulling spark when the knock sensors pickup possible knock conditions... which is good thing as far as I am concerned.

When your battery was bad, did you take it to local shop to have them test it? or had it gotten bad enough to know that was it?

dubcitySHO

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 19, 2018, 08:02:05 PM
When your battery was bad, did you take it to local shop to have them test it? or had it gotten bad enough to know that was it?

I took it to my mechanic and he tested it.  It was the OEM battery so not to shabby.  Replaced it with the BTX65850 recommended by many on the forum.

ZSHO

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 19, 2018, 08:07:30 PM
Looks ominous..
New Battery is in order.! It kind of explains the intermittent issues.  Z 

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on March 19, 2018, 09:41:42 PM
Quote from: stealbluesho on March 19, 2018, 08:07:30 PM
Looks ominous..
New Battery is in order.! It kind of explains the intermittent issues.  Z

Getting battery tested today... the KAM is getting reset in middle of driving for some reason... plus the rough idle and rougher idle during fan operations seems to indicate either a battery issue or connection issue.. I hope its not the alternator.. getting that checked too..

StealBlueSho

So battery tested at 558 cca... after a 20 mile drive. Battery has been replaced. Alternator tested perfect.

Hopefully that was the issue... we will see...