• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

13+ Taurus Gt350 style front bumper

Started by Quikv6, March 16, 2018, 12:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtmorgan23

The hood peaks my interest because it would allow the heat to escape through the vent in the middle.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on March 19, 2018, 10:22:06 AM

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 19, 2018, 09:57:01 AMOn FB these guys are telling the 2010-2012 crowd to just do the front end conversion to a 2013+ front end so you can use their bumper.

Ha......

Well that would up the price exponentially.

Because besides the costs of this (potential) new aftermarket front bumper cover offering, those three model years would also have to purchase the 13+....

Engine Hood
Upper Grille
Pair of Head Assemblies

WOWSERS!!!

What about the front fenders? I am unsure if the 2013+ head lamp assemblies would mate properly with the 2010-2012 fenders? Not to mention if there are differences in mounting locations.

bpd1151

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 19, 2018, 11:16:44 AMWhat about the front fenders? I am unsure if the 2013+ head lamp assemblies would mate properly with the 2010-2012 fenders?

No change was implemented to the fenders.

The bean counters @ FMC stepped in and expressed their dismay at having to retool their stamping plant in Chicago Heights, IL. in order to produce new fenders.

Thus they remained unchanged as a result.

Also why the "only" change to the head assemblies was on the inset exclusively. The outer portions were kept the same for the very reason of mating to the '10-'12 fenders.

SHOdded

Surprised no one ever mentions shosource.com, I guess they are unknown to Gen 4+ guys?  Anyways, here is something you could look into if you want to get a CF hood.  Call them up and have a chat :)

http://www.shosource.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_98_99&products_id=685

would be neat to have a competing product to choose from, of course!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on March 19, 2018, 11:26:51 AM
Surprised no one ever mentions shosource.com, I guess they are unknown to Gen 4+ guys?  Anyways, here is something you could look into if you want to get a CF hood.  Call them up and have a chat :)

http://www.shosource.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_98_99&products_id=685

I am familiar with shosource.com... I believe they need 10 pre-orders to start the process as they don't have them laying around. That is the last I heard.

StealBlueSho

I was tossing around the idea of the CF hood from them.. trying to figure out where I can shed some of this pig fat.... unfortunately... $1000 after shipping etc for about 40lbs of weight loss wasn't worth it for me to investigate much further. If I was running 12.01 consistently maybe :-P

SHOdded

Weight loss AND bling, can't discount the BLING!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on March 19, 2018, 11:45:58 AM
Weight loss AND bling, can't discount the BLING!

Dude... with me in the driver seat that is all the bling you need!

bpd1151

Well blling you may think you behold, but that certainly isn't helping you out at all in the weight reduction category.

Maybe you'll wanna flip that $1k for those 40lbs. after all.

Bwahahahaha. Poke. Nudge.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on March 19, 2018, 12:41:22 PM
Well blling you may think you behold, but that certainly isn't helping you out at all in the weight reduction category.

Maybe you'll wanna flip that $1k for those 40lbs. after all.

Bwahahahaha. Poke. Nudge.

I see you installed your emotion chip today and have jokes huh? Lol..

bpd1151

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 19, 2018, 01:32:20 PMI see you installed your emotion chip today and have jokes huh? Lol..

I DID !!!!

Working as designed I might add !!! LOL

J-Will

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 19, 2018, 11:44:12 AM

I was tossing around the idea of the CF hood from them.. trying to figure out where I can shed some of this pig fat.... unfortunately... $1000 after shipping etc for about 40lbs of weight loss wasn't worth it for me to investigate much further. If I was running 12.01 consistently maybe :-P

Weight reduction *could* prolong the life of the drivetrain
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

StealBlueSho

Quote from: J-Will on March 19, 2018, 02:02:28 PM

Maybe... not sure if 40lbs is gonna make a huge difference.. but every little bit helps? Maybe I should take the hood off next time I got to the track and see what difference it makes?

derfdog15

Quote from: J-Will on March 19, 2018, 02:02:28 PM

I don't think 40lbs would be worth $1000, or have any noticeable benefit. The general rule of thumb for performance is 100lb = .1 off of 1/4 mile ET, so you would see MAYBE .04 off an ET, not worth it, unless like Stealblue said, you were right at the cusp of the next bit number (ie. 12.01).

There is a larger variance than 40lb in drivers alone, plus family/passengers, spares, luggage, etc. I ran 14.4 stock in my SHO with the added weight of an AMR 20x8.5 wheel and BGF 245/45/20 mounted, plus a jack, and 100 something piece tool kit. I ran 14.2 to 14.3 later that night taking that stuff out, and brake boosting slightly more.

IMO the carbon fiber hood is only worth it for the bling, and it likely still has some steel, etc. in it to retain stock functionality/mounting. If it were a true racing, Pin on only, hood, it would save a lot more weight and could then maybe be worth it. Or if you needed additional clearance and it was a cowl.

With regards to this front bumper, I would expect more weight due to the splitter etc. and it may reduce ground clearance past an acceptable level on a lowered SHO with that splitter. It would depend on driver, and roads with regards to ground clearance, some people, like BPD can handle a pretty low ground clearance, but he likely plays is smart with where he travels in the SHO, and obviously has some experience with getting the right angle of attack if he does have a clearance issue somewhere.

I'm interested to know if there is a difference in the 10-12 front end mounting hardware/headlights weight vs. the 13+ setup weight. If so that may be even more added on to the 10-12 owners plates if they only make a 13+ version.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

derfdog15

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 19, 2018, 02:15:27 PM
Maybe... not sure if 40lbs is gonna make a huge difference.. but every little bit helps? Maybe I should take the hood off next time I got to the track and see what difference it makes?

I think that would depend on the track, some may not let you drive it without a hood depending on the type of track/event. That said, you'd save more than 40lbs there for sure, probably closer to 75lbs, maybe a bit more. But you may add some drag and thus lose performance. But you'd be running cooler presumably so maybe gain some of that back. Its kinda a crap shoot in the case of no hood IMO.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car